SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#6071 - 10/09/04 12:31 PM Wierd note duration problem
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a midi file of a song with some long sweeping strings.

when it uses the default GM patch "SynStrings1", it sounds fine.
When I switch it to a new patch I made on the fantom or any of the other preset string patches, the notes change. Keep in mind, I'm not an expert on theory, but it seems to me they go from a full note down to a half note.
Kind of like the player lets up off the keys early.

Does anyone know what the heck is going on here? It only seems to happen with strings or pad-type sounds.

I can email or upload an mp3 of the difference if anyone needs to hear this.
BTW, there are no CC's. Just notes. I deleted everything in Microscope edit.

[This message has been edited by digimage (edited 10-09-2004).]

#6072 - 10/09/04 05:04 PM Re: Wierd note duration problem
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Yeah, could you let us hear it?

-ED-

#6073 - 10/09/04 05:14 PM Re: Wierd note duration problem
TheSonicEnergyAuthority Offline

Loc: Peterborough,Cambridgeshire,UK
Don't have a Fantom, so carn't be too sure...
Does the Fantom respond to note off velocity?
If so I'm wondering if the note on message is at a high velocity, and the note off is at say 64..

#6074 - 10/10/04 10:19 PM Re: Wierd note duration problem
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
you could be running out of polyphony too. The GM strings and pads use only 1 tone per patch, the more complex presets will use more tones per patch, making it possible that thick chord textures are overdoing your synth's polyphony.

#6075 - 10/18/04 07:19 AM Re: Wierd note duration problem
MORPH! Offline

Loc: Laguna Beach, California, Unit...
You are most likely hearing a big difference in the enveloping (ADSR) of your sound patch (which certainly may have a profound effect on the duration of a keyed assigned note)

reasons are the ongoing saga of different assignment codes and sysex of GS vs XG vs I & II (Gen)

The external modulation codes for General differ from GS and Rolands rendition of General, as well as XG

This is the primary reason that many songs done as sweet as a popsicle in one MIDI layout can become smelly poopsicles in other MIDI formats. You see , it's enough to make you feel like your groove is mounted on a weak and sagging coil spring (that's not really too good)

Trust me maestro, we are all dying to just go out and buy a "plug it into me, I will sort it out for you, I'm a know all formats box". Funny, you know the maestros at MOTU were boiling such a creature at one time in the quite distant past. I guess after it was refined into a device it turned out to be not it's intention, and nobody is going to knowingly mass produce a Frankenstein, hence "ine vondabox" remains a figment of the imagination- comprende?

Unfortunately, this imaginary box shall remain just that too; only imagined. The reason I believe are the seeming like forever changes being made to these formats.

Personally, I think MIDI was originally approached totally wrong. I believe the base transmission should have been along a parrellel symantic, or well for all the goodness! not a serial one anyway! Not a single format currently out there that doesn't have to hurry up and wait as a normal proccess. One thing I know for sure, and that is that the original person who devised MIDI into existance was no maestro of music.

Petey

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online