SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#60652 - 10/18/02 05:40 AM Altering voices on converted disks.
Jean Olivia Offline

Loc: Melbourne Victoria Australia
I have just converted all my Roland style disks to KN6500 and saved them all to CUSTOM. I have just discovered how to do this and am so pleased with myself.
I would like to change some of the voices in the accompaniment of these disks. I thought it would be possible to at least change the Root Bass but although the bass part changed on the screen when I substituted another voice the sound did not change.
Is it possible to change all or any of the voices in a converted disk.???
With all your help I am learning slowly but without your help there would be one more keyboard in the TRADING POST-or under the bed.
Like all Australians I am mourning the senseless death of 114 young Australians as a result of the terrorist bombing in Bali.My tears are just a drop in the ocean. Jean.

#60653 - 10/18/02 07:04 AM Re: Altering voices on converted disks.
technicsplayer Offline

editing the sounds in styles is done in composer before you copy to custom.

Therefore copy each style back into composer:- composer, custom style copy, from custom to memory bank. (press direction switch if not the right way round, press ok).

exit, go to bank you have copied to, go to the pattern you want, ok, select bass (or other tracks), now change the sound in the sound group. Repeat for the other variations etc till satisfied.

now exit back to composer menu, custom style copy, from memory bank to custom style, again using the direction switch, press ok.

the changes are now permanently in the custom section.

how do you understand what some people believe they achieve by leaving a bomb in a public place?

#60654 - 10/18/02 07:36 AM Re: Altering voices on converted disks.
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
I've done a lot of editing following the process Alec described. If you change voices, for example the bass sound, on all of the intro's, fills, variations, and endings, wonder how many buttons would have to be pressed? It sure is laborious. I'd give up half of what's on my 6500 if I could get one large page or screen of Composer where everything to change could be viewed at once, make the desired changes, then push the button one time. To me, that would be a great step forward.

#60655 - 10/18/02 07:55 AM Re: Altering voices on converted disks.
technicsplayer Offline

true, but I change voices between variations too so need both sets of flexibility. A sound arranger type page for each composer would do, then you could do a global change track by track, or not, and then go in to individual patterns.

#60656 - 10/18/02 08:59 AM Re: Altering voices on converted disks.
Bud Whipple Offline

Loc: The Plantation, Leesburg, Flor...
You bet it's a lot of work. Most of it is done button by button, but you can cut some of it out by using pattern copy to copy fill in 1 of var. 1 to the other three variation fill-in 1 positions. Change the voice of fill-in 2 of variation 1 and do another pattern copy. Just be careful of where you are at all times, or you could end up starting over. The end result is worth the effort if changing one voice makes the style useful.

#60657 - 10/18/02 11:30 AM Re: Altering voices on converted disks.
technicsplayer Offline

again true Bud, but you could end up with just the 2 fills instead of 8. I've done the button pushing so often, it's almost like typing now...

#60658 - 10/18/02 05:58 PM Re: Altering voices on converted disks.
Jean Olivia Offline

Thank you for your answer,Alec. I have not done anything with the composer yet, but am into it now.I can understand your directions clearly and see how it is done, but there is one thing I don't understand to start with. On the home page, which shows all the instruments there is a "bass" part and if I mute or lower the sound on all the other instruments I can hear it clearly. I thought this was the ROOT BASS.???
Following your directions and with my VARIATION 1 now in MEMORY A,I went to the part setting page and changed the ROOT BASS to WOW BASS on full volume so that I could see what it was playing and although it sounded loud and clear on the part set page when I returned to the home page I couldn't hear it at all. I obviously don't understand its purpose.
Although I am in a fog about this I did follow the workshop on ROOT AND BASS CHORD and put the result setting into my CUSTOM PANEL and it is so useful.
Is this ROOT BASS sound in the APC accompaniment or if it is is it in perhaps only in some of the variations--I only tried the first variation. Thank you for all your help.reguards to all Jean

#60659 - 10/19/02 03:40 AM Re: Altering voices on converted disks.
technicsplayer Offline

Ah, root bass is different from the bass in any pattern. I have decribed how to change permanently the bass in any pattern, composer or custom. You can change the bass in any preset quicker with the sound arranger, which is simpler.

root bass is that sound when you play with the keyboard split but with no auto accompaniment triggered in the left hand. You find it by going into the sound menu and either

1 go to part setting and scroll through parts to the end where it is called r.bass or

2 go to mixer and press other parts/tracks under the display where it will be on the accompaniment page called r.ba

in both cases you can now change the root bass sound and anything else you want.

There is only one root bass since it only sounds when no styles are playing. Start a style and the bass voice in the style automatically takes over. Thus root bass has nothing to do with the styles; if you want to save different root bass sounds just do it with different panel memories.

#60660 - 10/19/02 06:56 AM Re: Altering voices on converted disks.
Jean Olivia Offline

Ah! Light Dawns !!! Now I have found the Sound arranger-It is such a help when you know what you are looking for. I understand the Root base and chord now.I will spend some time digesting all this information and see how far I get. I haven't felt the need to fiddle with the keyboards built in sounds except for altering volumes or muting some of the sounds, but now I have a lot of converted styles I know they need a bit of re-arranging in a different keyboard. It is midnight and I would like to start now but I had better go to bed. I wonder if there are any other buttons on this board that I haven't pressed yet. Goodnight Alec and Thank you, Cheers Jean.

[This message has been edited by Jean Olivia (edited 10-19-2002).]

#60661 - 10/19/02 03:36 PM Re: Altering voices on converted disks.
Bud Whipple Offline

Loc: The Plantation, Leesburg, Flor...
Jean, you ain't seen nuthin' yet. If you want buttons to push, get into the sequencer note editor, after you've used the composer to set up your style, and panel memory buttons to store your cool sounding instruments, and easy record to record that song you really like but keep making silly mistakes on. Now, you'll see some brand new buttons! With these new found buttons, you open up a whole new phase of music making. It's the corrections facility of your keyboard and you get a chance to atone for missed notes and other keyboard transgressions. It is very intimidating, but once learned, it's sooooooo helpful. You can make that short note longer, the soft note louder and get rid of that klinker that everyone would certainly notice. It's like Alec said, it's almost like typing.

Alec, you're right about the 2 fill-ins instead of 8. I'm so used to working with old conversions, I sometimes forget there are some newer styles that have more than 2.

Jean, you've scratched the surface of what your miracle machine can do, so just keep on prodding and poking. You just about can't hurt your keyboard until you get so frustrated you toss it out the window. Buy the optional chain and anchor.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online