SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#6043 - 12/04/02 06:57 AM Re: Anyone here use hardware samplers anymore?
Equalizer Offline

Loc: Scotland
Quote:
Originally posted by Cloakboy:
I'd be happy to share it with you if you can point me in the direction of a free host that allows mp3 files.

Well, why not try angelfire.com? They give you free webspace and the facility to add files to your site without the need for any other software.

#6044 - 12/04/02 11:50 AM Re: Anyone here use hardware samplers anymore?
Cloakboy Offline

Loc: Racine, Wisconsin USA
Anglefire, Tripod, and Geocities also ban mp3 files.

#6045 - 12/04/02 08:00 PM Re: Anyone here use hardware samplers anymore?
kaboombahchuck Offline

Loc: Arizona USA
I would say besonic, but they are not treating the non payer so well. www.songramp.com is the way to go. Also www.iuma.com and www.soundclick.com

[This message has been edited by kaboombahchuck (edited 12-04-2002).]

#6046 - 12/05/02 05:54 AM Re: Anyone here use hardware samplers anymore?
Equalizer Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloakboy:
Anglefire, Tripod, and Geocities also ban mp3 files.

Sorry Cloakboy, but I think you're wrong.

I have a site at angelfire that I used a while back when I was trying to start up a band. If you take a look you'll see that it has MP3 files and they are all working just fine.
www.angelfire.com/music4/glasgow

#6047 - 12/05/02 09:56 PM Re: Anyone here use hardware samplers anymore?
Blacklight Offline

I use an Ensoiq EPSm alongside it's virtual cousins. They get along fine

#6048 - 12/08/02 01:47 AM Re: Anyone here use hardware samplers anymore?
Cloakboy Offline

Loc: Racine, Wisconsin USA
PLACEHOLDER

i have a friend hooking me up with hosting.

Tripod has deleted mp3's on me, and i've had friends who've lost them on angelfire and geocities. This was during the time when Napster was big, so maybe they've cooled off a bit, but people still get 'em erased if enough people download them.

[edit]
EDIEBREC.mp3
This is what I was talking about in my post in regards to the ASR-10. If you can't stand it, forward it to the 2:00 mark before you shut it off.

Ode to the Olsen Twins

This is just me and an acoustic guitar. My first attempt at singing in 20 years, be gentle. Btw, ask the kids to leave the room before you play this.

End of the World

The stuff in the beginning and the choir thingy towards the end were contributed by another guy, the rest is all me. It was for an informal collaboration contest where the criteria was that the song be about the end of the world.

[This message has been edited by Cloakboy (edited 12-08-2002).]

#6049 - 12/08/02 08:42 PM Re: Anyone here use hardware samplers anymore?
djboomstick Offline

Loc: newyork
[QUOTE]Originally posted by epu:
[B]Let's assume that the people who reply here already know the benefits of software sampling - I say this so no one will come here and preach why hardware samplers are so obsolete.

Does anyone here use their hardware samplers anyomre. Do you people scan the bins at your local music shop for new sample CDs? I'm not a loop guru, but I am understanding how important audio CDs and loops are considering that if your format is longer supported, you build kits through audio.

hey yeah i got a bunch of samplers.
akai s612 , akai s950 , roland s330 , roland s550 , korg triton and korg electribe es1.

i do not sample vynal or sample cds. i get my sounds from the world around me, a borrowed sound makeing device ,rented drum ,movies on tv ,internet, nature, and more than a few mad scientist style sound design sessions resampling between different samplers (includeing software samplers) trying to make something out of nothing.
i feel much beter satisfaction manipulating a chunk of audio and setting up crazy expiriments to get a good sample than takeing a cd of someone elses and saying ok good enuff i didnt want to be original anyway.
all my best samples i made myself.

of course this dosn't include piano and other recognizable insturments and i dont really do drum loops at all. i have one song thats made from drum loops but those were sampled from a parts of a movie were they wern't ment to be a song just some reocurring ambiance during some suspensfull sceens

the s612 has hardware sliders for loop points there fun to play with on a vocal sample. spining it around backwards and forwards and cuting it up on a whim (and i say a sample cause it only holds one sample at a time). the 612 and 950 both have interfaces for connecting to my akai ax60 so can run my samples thru the ax60's analoge filters fun fun fun.
the s330 is for sale, replaced by the triton.
and the s550 and electribe are badass samplers. one day i will have a roland s760

i would say theres no way they are obsolete.

times the hardwere samplers have crashed - 0
times my computer has crashed - countless

#6050 - 12/09/02 06:55 AM Re: Anyone here use hardware samplers anymore?
Equalizer Offline

...and how many number one albums have you had mister?

#6051 - 12/15/02 12:07 AM Re: Anyone here use hardware samplers anymore?
djboomstick Offline

Loc: newyork
ill never have a #1 , but neither do most of the bands i listen to. . .too far off the mainstreem , but if ya want an example of my stuff its on the bands web page in my profile

#6052 - 12/20/02 03:45 AM Re: Anyone here use hardware samplers anymore?
bitdump3 Offline

Loc: Fano, Italy
No instrument is obsolete unless it stops functioning. And even then you can bang on or throw it off the roof and sample that.

I prefer my hardware samplers still but because I use kurzweils, mostly for the synth engine attached as just playing back audio aint that tuff so for playback if realtime performance is not a critical issue I will use a softsampler. Mostly I use softsamplers these days for quick auditions of sample work I do prior to moving to some hardware format.

No number 1's but at least my name is on the back of funcrusher+

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online