SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#6033 - 12/02/02 05:36 AM Anyone here use hardware samplers anymore?
epu Offline

Let's assume that the people who reply here already know the benefits of software sampling - I say this so no one will come here and preach why hardware samplers are so obsolete.

Does anyone here use their hardware samplers anyomre. Do you people scan the bins at your local music shop for new sample CDs? I'm not a loop guru, but I am understanding how important audio CDs and loops are considering that if your format is longer supported, you build kits through audio.

I have a Roland S760, which used to be the king of all samplers. I recently purchased a few sample CDs in Roland format, however, most of them are dated.

I'm just curious to know which samplers you all use, what you use them for, and if you guys buy or have sample CDs. Which ones do you own?

This should be a good discussion.

The Infamous Epu.

#6034 - 12/02/02 09:10 AM Re: Anyone here use hardware samplers anymore?
DJWhite Offline

Loc: Birmingham, UK
I use an Akai S3200XL and swear by it. BTW do you know where I can get some FLASH ROM for it? I'm in england.

#6035 - 12/03/02 07:30 AM Re: Anyone here use hardware samplers anymore?
Equalizer Offline

Loc: Scotland
I can't believe you're still using those stone-age hardware samples!!!

Hasn't anyone ever told you about the benifits of today's latest new range of software samplers??????????

Oh man, you are sooooooooooooooooo out of touch! I thought everyone knew by now that those hardware samplers are ancient relics. You must be a member of a Human League tribute band or something like that.

Don't worry- I'll come back in a few hours when I've got a little more time and give you an in-depth lecture on the implications of obsolescence for post 90's musical equipment.

#6036 - 12/03/02 10:47 AM Re: Anyone here use hardware samplers anymore?
800dv Offline

Loc: atlanta, georgia, usa
I agree with Equalizer . Hardware samplers are obsolete in every way . I still do have my original Emulator though , it's number 478 of the 500 made . It's just a museum piece though . Back in the 80s I used the Akai S-612 , Roland S-50 , Emulator , Emulator II . Today , software samplers are far superior in every way .

#6037 - 12/03/02 01:17 PM Re: Anyone here use hardware samplers anymore?
Equalizer Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by 800dv:
software samplers are far superior in every way .

Yes indeed!

I was just wondering, do any of you guys know where I can download some schematics so that I can post them on here to help illustrate some of the differences between hard and soft samplers?

#6038 - 12/03/02 02:21 PM Re: Anyone here use hardware samplers anymore?
tekminus Offline

Do voice recorders count? I'm about to order the iRiver 256MB mp3-player. Anyway, the iRiver has a voice recording function.

-tek

#6039 - 12/03/02 03:28 PM Re: Anyone here use hardware samplers anymore?
Cloakboy Offline

Loc: Racine, Wisconsin USA
While I agree that software samplers are better than hardware samplers, I wouldn't exactly call hardware samplers "obsolete." Certain models still offer something desirable for the electronic musician. For example, even though I have Logic's EXS24 plug-in and Reaktor, I still can't bring myself to part with my old Ensoniq ASR-10 because of it's unique sound and it's loop point modulation capability. Any sample I make on the computer will have a heavier, fatter sound coming out of my ASR-10 than it will coming out of any computer soundcard, no matter how much filtering and EQ tweaking I do. It also has the unique (to Ensoniq gear) feature where I can assign various controllers to either the start point, end point, loop length, or loop position. Essentially, this is granular synthesis, but the sound of it is completely unique. I have yet to hear it reproduced even in a program as versitile as Reaktor, which can perform the same operation with it's grain cloud module, yet not produce the same sound I'm looking for.

Now, if I didn't have my ASR-10 before going soft, would I necessarily hunt one down? No. But I still keep it even though I could probably get between $600 and $1000 for it. It is by no means my primary sampler these days, but it far from useless to me.

#6040 - 12/03/02 09:55 PM Re: Anyone here use hardware samplers anymore?
epu Offline

I could've sworn that I started off this thread saying that we should assume that we all know the benefits of software samplers so people wouldn't come in here preaching about why hardware samplers are obsolete.

I know the benefits that come with Software Samplers and could care less at the momment. I created this thread so those who have hardware samplers could communicate.

As usual, people don't follow directions or requests.

The Infamous Epu.

#6041 - 12/04/02 02:53 AM Re: Anyone here use hardware samplers anymore?
Equalizer Offline

Cloakboy,
I've be very interested to hear some of your music- perhaps something that includes examples of the kind of things you were talking about.

Is there anywhere online where I can have a listen to some samples?

#6042 - 12/04/02 03:07 AM Re: Anyone here use hardware samplers anymore?
Cloakboy Offline

Loc: Racine, Wisconsin USA
Unfortuneatly no, I used to have an mp3.com page, but that's now so whored up with ads and you can't even ****ing stream or download without giving them all sorts of stupid information... IT MAKES ME SO MAD I CRUSH THINGS.

Aside from that, the only ASR-10 loop point mod track I ever recorded to computer was a joke thing I did. I was in a band with a guy who wanted to cover Edie Breckell's one hit song... the "shove me in the shallow water, before I get too deep" one... god i ****ing hate that song... anyway, so I sampled 2 bars of that, mangled it, and ****ed with it for 4 mins. It's a bit lenghty for the lack of content, but if you want a good example of what Ensoniq's loop point/transwave thingy sounds like, I'd be happy to share it with you if you can point me in the direction of a free host that allows mp3 files. I'd e-mail it to ya', but I have nothing but free e-mail accounts (2 yahoos, one university) which cap the filesize i can attach. so yeah.

and if that seems rambly, I am deliriously tired, it's 5am and i have yet to go to bed on a school night. boo ****ing hoo.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online