SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#60286 - 05/20/03 07:16 PM New Play Along Project
larry gosmeyer Offline

Loc: La Verne, CA USA
For KN6 and KN7 Keyboarders:

I am trying a different approach to sharing on of my arrangements in the hopes that it will provide some additional challenge and fun to those who are interested.

If you go to my site and go to the "AFFAIR" page, you can download a file that will provide you with the sequenced song containing the complete lead part that will give you an idea of how it sounds. You will also get a sequenced file that does not contain the lead part that you can play along with on track #1.

You will also get a WORD 2000 file that will:
Contain some instructions and comments on doing the play along.

Contain the sheet music which will cover all the important information on playing along with all the other sequenced tracks. The sheet music contains the identical lead part that I play, when I play along with it.

Anyway, I wanted to see if this approach can provide some fun in addition to providing a sequenced arrangement.

The medley is: Smile and An Affair to Remember

Please let me know your experience, either good or bad or in between.

My site is: www.lgosmeyer.com

Enjoy.

Larry Gosmeyer

[This message has been edited by larry gosmeyer (edited 05-20-2003).]

[This message has been edited by larry gosmeyer (edited 05-20-2003).]

#60287 - 05/20/03 08:29 PM Re: New Play Along Project
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Great Larry,
This looks like another opportunity for our members to continue to broaden their learning curves.
Thank you for this and please do more if the interest is there and I am sure it will be.
Best to all
Bebop

#60288 - 05/21/03 06:49 AM Re: New Play Along Project
AlexGreen Offline

Loc: Beachwood NJ USA
Larry I am speechless.

You have created the ulimate Share.

You will have us all sounding like pros.
What an outstanding job. Words can not do it justice.

The only problem for you is that you will be on that keyboard night and day filling requests.
I have a ton already.

Many, Many , Many Thanks.
Alex

#60289 - 05/21/03 01:36 PM Re: New Play Along Project
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Larry,
thank you, what a great idea. Gives amatuers like me a chance to sound (halfway) musical
hee hee
I actually had a friend do something similar for me a while back on his Wersi. I gave him a lead sheet with chords & melody line and he recorded the song for me ( minus the melody) onto a cd.
I then converted it into an mp3 and saved it to the sd card so I could use it for play - along in the KN7.

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#60290 - 05/21/03 07:38 PM Re: New Play Along Project
Mike Daniell Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Qld, Australia
I've been quiet for a while due to major changes in my job and also due to spending a lot of time on a software project at home. My KN7000 has sadly been idle for many a day, but things are now getting back to normal and I play it every day. I can't wait to get home and try your latest offering, Larry. Your contributions in the past have been outstanding, and, as Rikki says, are a great help to us amateurs.

Thankyou for having such a generous spirit.

Regards,
Mike

#60291 - 05/22/03 12:06 AM Re: New Play Along Project
Joan Offline

Loc: Hampshire U.K.
Hi Larry

What a super super idea. I will personally make good use of this. Thank you for sharing it with us

Joan

#60292 - 05/22/03 03:38 AM Re: New Play Along Project
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Hi Larry
I had fun with your songs and think any of the members who haven't tried to play along with an arrangement,should. Eventhough you are an accomplished musician,you wisely chose a couple of familiar standards even if your treatment was far from rudimentary.

While playing along with both versions,it reminded me of not only the fun,but knowledge one can gain. I have been playing for many years stuck in second gear. What I mean is that,for one thing,I thought I had to have sheet music in front of me to play. I learned by following sequences like yours to slowly rely upon my ears. If you have ever been in a situation where you are asked to play a song which you knew,but,didn't have the music, you know what I mean.

The other thing I think is good is the chance to embellish the melody or harmony while playing along. This lets the creative juices flow. You can change from a mechanical player to one with some flair.

Since we can't soly rely on you,Larry,to supply sequences,I propose a tutorial, like is being discussed in other threads,to make our own sequences,however simple.

Thank you for your efforts

Bernie

#60293 - 05/22/03 08:46 PM Re: New Play Along Project
Arthur R. Jacobs Offline

Loc: Alma, Michigan, 48801 USA
Larry: Your new idea has worked like a charm for me. Because I use Speed (big note) music, can't see standard notes on a page, I am still able to participate in this
wonderful new experment because I have both of your songs in my big note collection. I have really had fun trying out different things with my right hand, while you accompany me with your super registrations.
You are as skilled with your PC as you are with your music. Thank you.-----ARJ

#60294 - 05/23/03 08:37 PM Re: New Play Along Project
Ted Rose Offline

Loc: United States
Larry! What a positively fascinating idea you prepared for us! Never before have I sounded so good on my 7000! I especially liked the ability to improvise the melody lines of the medley, without having to worry about orchestrating and knowing the chord structures needed for each song. Would it be possible to do exactly the same thing, omitting BOTH the melody track (to be played by each individual on his own instrument) and the specific chords, so that we could use all of the instrumental tracks and play both melody and harmony?? I guess what I am asking is: it possible to prepare all of the instrumentation or orchestration tracks only, to be used for total playijng of original and/or favorite melody playing??? (Maybe my query is not clear but at least I know what I am trying to ask!!!!) Again, thanks, Larry for this fantastic program. I look forward to others!

Ted

[This message has been edited by Ted Rose (edited 05-23-2003).]

#60295 - 05/24/03 04:11 AM Re: New Play Along Project
technicsplayer Offline

already answered in www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum25/HTML/001623.html Ted.

all you have to do is record and then switch off the sequencer tracks before you start to play. If you switch off the right hand tracks those voices will not play, switch off the left hand track(s) and it will not play, switch off the technichord track and the harmony won't play, switch of apc and the chords will not play, leaving the control track and all panel memory changes and orchestrations intact as you play live.

If you save the sequence like this that is how it appears on load. There is no need for two files. Copy the song into song 2 of the sequencer, leave song 2 with all tracks active, save on song 1 with the tracks switched off. The load will come up ready to play live, and simply switching to song 2 on the sequencer page gives you the entire arrangement. Copy the song several times in the sequencer, for both hands play, right hand play, left hand play and automatic play... it couldn't be easier

#60296 - 05/24/03 05:07 PM Re: New Play Along Project
paulz Offline

Loc: W. Palm Beach, Fl
Thank you Larry G.
You did an outstanding job. This is a great idea. Hope we see more of your music and sheet music. It is fun to play along with your styles and having the sheet music you made up really helps a lot. Thanks again.
Paulinez

#60297 - 05/24/03 08:56 PM Re: New Play Along Project
Ted Rose Offline

Loc: United States
Hey Larry and Technicsplayer! Thanks for the responses and the reference to a former message I posted that you had skillfully already answered earlier in the month. Excuse the repeated question; attribute it to a "senior moment". I seem to be having more and more of these lately!! Having a fabulous time with your songs, Larry, and manipulating the tracks has been great fun. Still many things to do and what musical fun doing them!!! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you, Larry! And thanks for refreshing my feeble memory, Technicsplayer!

Ted

[This message has been edited by Ted Rose (edited 05-24-2003).]

#60298 - 05/28/03 04:05 PM Re: New Play Along Project
Tony Lawton Offline

Loc: England
Brilliant idea, thanks Larry for taking the trouble to produce these files. I hope you do many more.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online