SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#6014 - 12/08/05 09:19 AM Lookin for Help purchasing a midi player
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello my name is Kurt and I dont know what im doing.

I would like to purchase some type of box that will load my midi's and play them on our church sound system. I would like something that is stand alone without a keyboard. I dont want to use cd's, and I want to still be able to manipulate the tempo and range of the midi song.

The midis will be used for congregational singing, because we are a small church, and I feel midis are more flexible than music-in-a-can.

The worship midis will be purchased online and slightly manipulated on my PC then loaded at church.

Im looking for something that will play midis on the fly, from start to finish.

I want the unit to be able to produce top notch piano and bass sounds, because that will be the primary sounds we will use.

Thanks Again

this is are current system;

Behringer mx2004a board
Peavy xrd 680 amp
Peavy Speakers

#6015 - 12/08/05 11:03 AM Re: Lookin for Help purchasing a midi player
CoasterTim Offline

Loc: Allentown, PA, USA
Pastor,

Check out the Roland Discover 5M stats here:
http://www.midi247.com/products/roland_discover_5m.htm

Stand alone MIDI file players are hard to find these days. The 5M is probably what you're looking for, but I am not sure if it's available any longer. You may have to settle for a keyboard with sounds that would be sufficient for authentic music playback. I trust you will find what's best for your ministry.

Tim

-----------------------------------------------------------
YAMAHA CVP-509 / Korg Pa300

#6016 - 12/14/05 07:27 PM Re: Lookin for Help purchasing a midi player
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
What about something like the Ketron Midjay? It should play midis fine, and you could even put canned music in there as .wav or .mp3 if you want. Basically any non-live music you use in the church could run through it. Might be a little pricey though.

#6017 - 12/15/05 08:20 AM Re: Lookin for Help purchasing a midi player
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
I still have at my store a couple of Generalmusic WK2arranger modules. These can play midi files direct from floppy disk or you could install an internal hard drive for playback. These are Italian made units which have been made for the past 6 years and have been discontinued because sales of modules are not nearly as popular as keyboards. You can manipulate tempo's, keys, sounds, etc. You can even use the built in video interface to show words of midi file songs on a TV screen.
Price for these used to be over $1000.00 and I have a few new ones left at $795.00.
I also have the Ketron XD3 which would do the same job but for a price of $1500.00. This is also made in Italy. Ketron also makes the Midjay as mentioned above by someone else but also sells for over $1500.00.
Yamaha makes a little box called the QY100 which is the size of a video cassette and can have midi files loaded on a smart media card which can be loaded into the QY100 to playback songs, but this is quite a small box with very few buttons so there is a lot of complicated button pushing to get things to work and sells for $499.00.
Roland and Korg no longer make anything.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
(Retired 2021)

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online