SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#60164 - 09/16/04 03:02 PM Windows XP Service Pack 2
Joan Offline

Loc: Hampshire U.K.
Hi there -

I know this is not a keyboard matter but it could have relevance to our use of our PCs.

Has anyone upgraded with the Windows XP Service Pack 2 yet?

If so, would you like to comment - my feeling at the moment is that if it is working OK leave it - would anyone like to convince me otherwise? Joan

#60165 - 09/16/04 03:42 PM Re: Windows XP Service Pack 2
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Most reports I have read from people 'In the Know' say do not upgrade yet. There are still bugs in the SP2 'Upgrade' and quite a few programs, including some of Microsoft's own applications, have produced problems of varying severity.
If you have a good Anti-Virus program and a 'Third Party' Firewall installed on your PC and you have all the latest XP Critical updates issued by Microsoft , then you are as safe as you can be at present.

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#60166 - 09/16/04 05:12 PM Re: Windows XP Service Pack 2
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I for one installed Service Pack 2 and am experiencing no problems with any of my software (both standard apps as well as music softwware) running on it. I chose to disable the Windows Firewall, and let my Norton Personal Firewall program handle it instead. Norton 2004 products (with latest update) are all compatible to run with Service Pack 2. After installing SP2 and rebooting, a prompt came up allowing me to easily SELECT between Norton Firewall or Windows Firewall to act as my firewall program. I was hesistant to upgrade to SP2 initially, but following Microsoft's insistance about how critically important it was to to so, in addition to other members on the Synthzone General Arranger forum who already upgraded with no problems, I decided to bite the bullet and upgrade as well. No problems so far. Knock on wood.

Btw, for those interested, I just recently UPDATED the design of my website with a FRESH new (and hopefully more professional) look. Be sure to check out my newly posted video clip (WMV) as well, which is located on the 'song demos' page"
http://scottyee.com

- Scott

------------------
http://scottyee.com

#60167 - 09/16/04 05:34 PM Re: Windows XP Service Pack 2
Benno Kattenat Offline

Loc: qualicum beachBC Canada
HI ,I ALSO HAVE UPGRADED TO SP2,IT IS WORKING OK nOW, only proplemi had getting back on line but got that fixed,seems to work ok since then, best rwgards ,benno

#60168 - 09/16/04 08:42 PM Re: Windows XP Service Pack 2
larry gosmeyer Offline

Loc: La Verne, CA USA
I Installed SP2 and so far have had no problems whatsoever.

Larry G

#60169 - 09/16/04 09:01 PM Re: Windows XP Service Pack 2
Johnnie.c Offline

Loc: England
SP2 No problem & have not seen any bugs at all.
I chose not to configure the firewall but if I wanted to later it is very easy to get to, SP2 is quite a large file to download if you do not have braodband.

#60170 - 09/16/04 09:10 PM Re: Windows XP Service Pack 2
Walt Meyer Offline

Loc: Silver City, NM USA

#60171 - 09/16/04 09:24 PM Re: Windows XP Service Pack 2
manorcourt1991 Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Hi Joan,

I have an early version of Expert Personal Roots (family tree program) which will not run since I installed SP2. I think I originally installed this program under Windows 3.1. It wasn't great then and has got progessively worse as each new version of Windows was installed. I was able to retrieve and use the data in another program.
Apart from this I have had no problems since installing SP2 and if anything overall PC operation is marginally better.

Cheers
Len C.

#60172 - 09/16/04 11:43 PM Re: Windows XP Service Pack 2
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Nobody has mentioned that one of the main benefits of installing SP2 is...it provides you with all MS Critical Security Updates in one package.
I have had no problems so far in both XPHome & Professional.

#60173 - 09/17/04 12:02 AM Re: Windows XP Service Pack 2
Mark, Michie & Luce Offline

Loc: Mersea Island, England
Hi all,

As some of you may be aware Mark & Michie are in NYC at the moment following the 911 rememberance. So a message for Bill, they should be heading to CA sometime in the next three days.

Back to the subject. I received our update pack from MSUK last Monday. I phoned Mark to check it was alright to install but his decision mirrors some of the previous comments made that if it ain't broke don't try to fix it.

It does make me think that if MS came up with such as super OS as XP, why do they need to continually fix it. Surely, there's not a bunch of hackers out there with the one goal of destroying MS software. A thought...

Luce

[This message has been edited by Mark, Michie & Luce (edited 09-17-2004).]

#60174 - 09/17/04 02:46 AM Re: Windows XP Service Pack 2
trevorjohn Offline

Loc: Cambridge United Kingdom
Oh yes there are Luce..It is a profession for some nut cases

#60175 - 09/17/04 03:44 AM Re: Windows XP Service Pack 2
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway
Here in Norway (those of us who use the native language version of XP) the SP2 will be ready to download next week. It remains to see how it works, maybe a good idea to wait and see, but at the same time all new things have to be explored
Happy playing.
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#60176 - 09/17/04 06:38 AM Re: Windows XP Service Pack 2
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
I installed SP2 via the free CD from Microsoft USA.

I had to uninstall SP2 (recommended by my ISP) My problem....
I could connect to the Internet, but I could not browse the Internet, as no web pages, inluding my homepage, would display.

After uninstalling SP2,which, by the way, is easily done, I was again able to browse the Internet with IE6, and all web pages, inluding my homepage, displayed as before installing SP2

I'm interested to see if anyone else has this problem or if anyone else has any ideas why this happened.

Thanks,
Larry

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#60177 - 09/17/04 08:40 AM Re: Windows XP Service Pack 2
Sapphire Offline

Loc: Benfleet, Essex. UK
Hi
I installed SP2 which knocked out my graphics card drivers and left me with a 640x480 4bit screen. Not very useful. It took two re-installations of my original Nvidia drivers to get back to normal.
Also, SP2 has a known problem with Nero Burning Rom which has already made available online a suite of downloads to rectify the problem. If you only have a dial-up connection you have a problem.
I am still using SP2 but I am waiting for more problems to arise.

Hope I'm wrong
Alan

#60178 - 09/17/04 10:46 AM Re: Windows XP Service Pack 2
Johnnie.c Offline

Loc: England
Quote:
Originally posted by Sapphire:
Hi
I installed SP2 which knocked out my graphics card drivers and left me with a 640x480 4bit screen. Not very useful. It took two re-installations of my original Nvidia drivers to get back to normal.
Also, SP2 has a known problem with Nero Burning Rom which has already made available online a suite of downloads to rectify the problem. If you only have a dial-up connection you have a problem.
I am still using SP2 but I am waiting for more problems to arise.

Hope I'm wrong
Alan

I am running SP2 along with Nero with 100% no problem what-so-ever and that includes all the other programmes music and data,
of course it could be a different problem with older non compatable programmes.
Anybody who is having a problem maybe should look at what kit they are trying to run with.

#60179 - 09/17/04 01:14 PM Re: Windows XP Service Pack 2
John North Offline

Loc: Alfreton, Derbyshire, England
Hi all
I've XP service pack on both desktop and laptop. Not had any problems at all. A pop up stopper is included which allows you to select those sites where you want to allow pop ups
John

#60180 - 09/17/04 02:08 PM Re: Windows XP Service Pack 2
Gunnar Jonny Offline

After reading (and posting) this tread, I've found the downloadable SP2 version for administrators, innstalled on both a laptop and a home PC. So far so good, just a little bit configuration to fit the existing firewall and progs, everything looks OK, no problems at all..... yet
GJ

#60181 - 09/17/04 03:56 PM Re: Windows XP Service Pack 2
Bazz Woods Offline

Loc: British Isles
Hi All.
ASk yourself one question?
Are you upgrading for the sake of it.
Think about it.
Cheers Bazz

#60182 - 09/18/04 12:01 AM Re: Windows XP Service Pack 2
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bazz Woods:
Hi All.
Are you upgrading for the sake of it.

Nope, just to get rid of the curiosity
about how it works, if it works and so
on
GJ

#60183 - 09/18/04 03:00 AM Re: Windows XP Service Pack 2
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by lahawk:
I could connect to the Internet, but I could not browse the Internet, as no web pages, inluding my homepage, would display.

I'm interested to see if anyone else has this problem or if anyone else has any ideas why this happened.

Thanks,
Larry

Larry it sounds like it may be due to XP's firewall. Did you try turning that off to see it was the cause of the problem ?

#60184 - 09/18/04 08:52 AM Re: Windows XP Service Pack 2
lahawk Offline

Nigel,

Thanks

Yes someone mentioned that the firewall I have, and the built in SP2 XP firewall may be conflicting. I'll try your tip and see what happens. Of course I'll have to re install SP2, but I want to make sure I have as much covered before doing that.

I researched the browser/web display problem with SP2 and came up with this article from Microsoft.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=870700&product=windowsxpsp2#3
It covers almost all the problems associated with SP2 web page display. Hopefully it will help me and others who have a similar problem

I'll let you all know how I made out soon, as I am ready to give it another "go".

Larry

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#60185 - 09/18/04 12:30 PM Re: Windows XP Service Pack 2
lahawk Offline

Well I just finished installing SP2 again. This time, everything seems to be working...go figure!
Larry

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#60186 - 09/19/04 02:07 PM Re: Windows XP Service Pack 2
Anonymous
Unregistered

Received my SP2 CD today and will install soon. You folks having a problem may find help from Kim Komando FAQ's. http://www.komando.com/tips_wxpsp2.asp

Fran in Florida

#60187 - 09/19/04 02:24 PM Re: Windows XP Service Pack 2
Joan Offline

Loc: Hampshire U.K.
Thank you to everyone who has replied to my query.

It would seem to me that the majority of the replies are of a positive nature and has reassured me that there should not be any major problems if I go ahead and use the SP2.

Thanks again - Joan

My present system is working OK and I have reputable firewall and Virus software, will leave it as is for the time being. Joan

[This message has been edited by Joan (edited 09-20-2004).]

#60188 - 09/19/04 04:26 PM Re: Windows XP Service Pack 2
Walt Meyer Offline

Loc: Silver City, NM USA
Don't fix it if it aint broke.

Microsoft says that if you have all of the their XP security updates installed and are using a firewall, then you don't need it. Microsoft also has acknowledged that SP2 messes up many programs including many of their own. What does that tell you?
It tells you that they have yet to de-bug SP2 and by installing it you become one of their beta testers.
Norton's virus programs and Corel are two of many that are affected. Most software companies have published updates and work arounds, but this means that you have to download and install these to straighten out the problems caused by SP2. Is it worth it at this time?
Some of the best experts such as Fred Langa advise you to wait until it is de-bugged.
Again, don't fix it if it ain't broke.
Just my thoughts,
Walt

#60189 - 09/19/04 09:30 PM Re: Windows XP Service Pack 2
KeithB Offline

Loc: Melbourne AUSTRALIA
Kodak EasyShare Version 4 software appears not to work now. Windows shows that it is running but can't get anything on the screen!! Emailed kodak a week ago, but so far no response.
Keith

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online