Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#60184 - 09/18/04 08:52 AM Re: Windows XP Service Pack 2
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Nigel,

Thanks

Yes someone mentioned that the firewall I have, and the built in SP2 XP firewall may be conflicting. I'll try your tip and see what happens. Of course I'll have to re install SP2, but I want to make sure I have as much covered before doing that.

I researched the browser/web display problem with SP2 and came up with this article from Microsoft.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=870700&product=windowsxpsp2#3
It covers almost all the problems associated with SP2 web page display. Hopefully it will help me and others who have a similar problem

I'll let you all know how I made out soon, as I am ready to give it another "go".

Larry

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#60185 - 09/18/04 12:30 PM Re: Windows XP Service Pack 2
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Well I just finished installing SP2 again. This time, everything seems to be working...go figure!
Larry

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#60186 - 09/19/04 02:07 PM Re: Windows XP Service Pack 2
Anonymous
Unregistered

Received my SP2 CD today and will install soon. You folks having a problem may find help from Kim Komando FAQ's. http://www.komando.com/tips_wxpsp2.asp

Fran in Florida

#60187 - 09/19/04 02:24 PM Re: Windows XP Service Pack 2
Joan Offline

Loc: Hampshire U.K.
Thank you to everyone who has replied to my query.

It would seem to me that the majority of the replies are of a positive nature and has reassured me that there should not be any major problems if I go ahead and use the SP2.

Thanks again - Joan

My present system is working OK and I have reputable firewall and Virus software, will leave it as is for the time being. Joan

[This message has been edited by Joan (edited 09-20-2004).]

#60188 - 09/19/04 04:26 PM Re: Windows XP Service Pack 2
Walt Meyer Offline

Loc: Silver City, NM USA
Don't fix it if it aint broke.

Microsoft says that if you have all of the their XP security updates installed and are using a firewall, then you don't need it. Microsoft also has acknowledged that SP2 messes up many programs including many of their own. What does that tell you?
It tells you that they have yet to de-bug SP2 and by installing it you become one of their beta testers.
Norton's virus programs and Corel are two of many that are affected. Most software companies have published updates and work arounds, but this means that you have to download and install these to straighten out the problems caused by SP2. Is it worth it at this time?
Some of the best experts such as Fred Langa advise you to wait until it is de-bugged.
Again, don't fix it if it ain't broke.
Just my thoughts,
Walt

#60189 - 09/19/04 09:30 PM Re: Windows XP Service Pack 2
KeithB Offline

Loc: Melbourne AUSTRALIA
Kodak EasyShare Version 4 software appears not to work now. Windows shows that it is running but can't get anything on the screen!! Emailed kodak a week ago, but so far no response.
Keith

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online