SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#60164 - 09/16/04 03:02 PM Windows XP Service Pack 2
Joan Offline

Loc: Hampshire U.K.
Hi there -

I know this is not a keyboard matter but it could have relevance to our use of our PCs.

Has anyone upgraded with the Windows XP Service Pack 2 yet?

If so, would you like to comment - my feeling at the moment is that if it is working OK leave it - would anyone like to convince me otherwise? Joan

#60165 - 09/16/04 03:42 PM Re: Windows XP Service Pack 2
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Most reports I have read from people 'In the Know' say do not upgrade yet. There are still bugs in the SP2 'Upgrade' and quite a few programs, including some of Microsoft's own applications, have produced problems of varying severity.
If you have a good Anti-Virus program and a 'Third Party' Firewall installed on your PC and you have all the latest XP Critical updates issued by Microsoft , then you are as safe as you can be at present.

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#60166 - 09/16/04 05:12 PM Re: Windows XP Service Pack 2
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I for one installed Service Pack 2 and am experiencing no problems with any of my software (both standard apps as well as music softwware) running on it. I chose to disable the Windows Firewall, and let my Norton Personal Firewall program handle it instead. Norton 2004 products (with latest update) are all compatible to run with Service Pack 2. After installing SP2 and rebooting, a prompt came up allowing me to easily SELECT between Norton Firewall or Windows Firewall to act as my firewall program. I was hesistant to upgrade to SP2 initially, but following Microsoft's insistance about how critically important it was to to so, in addition to other members on the Synthzone General Arranger forum who already upgraded with no problems, I decided to bite the bullet and upgrade as well. No problems so far. Knock on wood.

Btw, for those interested, I just recently UPDATED the design of my website with a FRESH new (and hopefully more professional) look. Be sure to check out my newly posted video clip (WMV) as well, which is located on the 'song demos' page"
http://scottyee.com

- Scott

------------------
http://scottyee.com

#60167 - 09/16/04 05:34 PM Re: Windows XP Service Pack 2
Benno Kattenat Offline

Loc: qualicum beachBC Canada
HI ,I ALSO HAVE UPGRADED TO SP2,IT IS WORKING OK nOW, only proplemi had getting back on line but got that fixed,seems to work ok since then, best rwgards ,benno

#60168 - 09/16/04 08:42 PM Re: Windows XP Service Pack 2
larry gosmeyer Offline

Loc: La Verne, CA USA
I Installed SP2 and so far have had no problems whatsoever.

Larry G

#60169 - 09/16/04 09:01 PM Re: Windows XP Service Pack 2
Johnnie.c Offline

Loc: England
SP2 No problem & have not seen any bugs at all.
I chose not to configure the firewall but if I wanted to later it is very easy to get to, SP2 is quite a large file to download if you do not have braodband.

#60170 - 09/16/04 09:10 PM Re: Windows XP Service Pack 2
Walt Meyer Offline

Loc: Silver City, NM USA

#60171 - 09/16/04 09:24 PM Re: Windows XP Service Pack 2
manorcourt1991 Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Hi Joan,

I have an early version of Expert Personal Roots (family tree program) which will not run since I installed SP2. I think I originally installed this program under Windows 3.1. It wasn't great then and has got progessively worse as each new version of Windows was installed. I was able to retrieve and use the data in another program.
Apart from this I have had no problems since installing SP2 and if anything overall PC operation is marginally better.

Cheers
Len C.

#60172 - 09/16/04 11:43 PM Re: Windows XP Service Pack 2
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Nobody has mentioned that one of the main benefits of installing SP2 is...it provides you with all MS Critical Security Updates in one package.
I have had no problems so far in both XPHome & Professional.

#60173 - 09/17/04 12:02 AM Re: Windows XP Service Pack 2
Mark, Michie & Luce Offline

Loc: Mersea Island, England
Hi all,

As some of you may be aware Mark & Michie are in NYC at the moment following the 911 rememberance. So a message for Bill, they should be heading to CA sometime in the next three days.

Back to the subject. I received our update pack from MSUK last Monday. I phoned Mark to check it was alright to install but his decision mirrors some of the previous comments made that if it ain't broke don't try to fix it.

It does make me think that if MS came up with such as super OS as XP, why do they need to continually fix it. Surely, there's not a bunch of hackers out there with the one goal of destroying MS software. A thought...

Luce

[This message has been edited by Mark, Michie & Luce (edited 09-17-2004).]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online