SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#59915 - 10/20/02 08:15 PM Expression pedal nerves
Mike Daniell Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Qld, Australia
OK, it's confession time. I'm not a professional player and I don't do gigs, but I do play at our local keyboard club and occasionally before small groups. When I play before a (small) audience, I feel consciously quite relaxed, but while I am playing the nerves tend to take over. The only real problem here is that I like to use the expression pedal (probably because I've had organs for years) and the nerves seem to find their way to the foot resting on the expression pedal. The nerves seem to think that the piece of music needs a tremelo effect so my foot starts shaking. The only way I can stop it is to take my foot off the expression pedal.

Does anyone else have this problem? Does anyone have a solution? For the next meeting of the keyboard club I'm going to practice not using the expression pedal at all unless I can find a solution.

Mike

#59916 - 10/20/02 10:18 PM Re: Expression pedal nerves
Dave Shively Offline

Loc: Calimesa, Ca, USA
Hi Mike,
Don't feel alone, I too have this problem at times. The last was playing at our church for a Memorial service. When I first started I was completely relaxed, but then the old foot started to shake. I just take my foot off the expression pedal for a few seconds, pay more attention to the music while relaxing my foot on the floor. It seem's to pass quickly. I believe that it is do to the fact that we don't play in front of people on a regular basis and even through we practice and try to relax the stress seem's to go to the foot on the expression pedal. I use a Technic pedal, which to me is quite high off the floor and the foot is not supported very well when using the pedal, which I feel contributes to the problem. Hope this helps - happy playing - if the foot trembles - just give it a few taps on the floor.
Best Regards,
Dave

#59917 - 10/22/02 07:11 PM Re: Expression pedal nerves
Mike Daniell Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Thanks for your advice, Dave. It's good to know there's at least one other person who has to combat this issue. It's a pity that by the nature of the problem it's not something one can practice except in front of an audience! I'll try relying less on the expression pedal so that it's not so important if I have to leave it alone for a while.

Regards,
Mike

[This message has been edited by Mike Daniell (edited 10-22-2002).]

#59918 - 10/22/02 08:01 PM Re: Expression pedal nerves
manorcourt1991 Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Yes Mike I have struck this problem too and have also found that it was necessary to take my foot off the pedal until it settled down. In my case longer than a few seconds so I normally try and play a number or two where I can get away with touch response and no expression pedal. Perhaps beta blockers might help or even better a small glass of port before playing.

Cheers

Len C.

#59919 - 10/22/02 10:17 PM Re: Expression pedal nerves
Dave Shively Offline

Loc: Calimesa, Ca, USA
Hi Mike,
Forgot to mention that the position of the expression pedal makes quite a difference. When the pedal is to close, with the position of your foot directly over it, the foot has more a tendancy to shake. I try to extend my foot, where the heel is closer to the floor, gives a little more stability. Hope this is of some help.
Best Regards,
Dave

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online