SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#59839 - 06/06/03 01:20 PM Re: IKN7000 vocal harmonizer
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
Bernie and Jan you guys are so right. The mic input and output is just fine. I think poor Uncle Dave must have stayed out a bit too late last night. Seems a bit fuzzy on the difference between a mic input and a harmonizer feature. Thanks guys for seeing through the fog. As in many things, misstatements lead to who knows what? In response to Santa 1’s simple question I think a simple answer would cover it. ‘IT DON’T’, as well as any other keyboard’s. However pet peeves are no fun if they cannot be petted. So, bringing a peeve out in the open lends it’s self to be petted and some others will like to pet it also. This seems to pacify those feelings in those who have a need to pet their pet peeves. Better quit while I’m still ahead. Come to think about it maybe I’m not ahead. I think I better stop thinking before my thinking gets me into a fix that I can’t think of a way out of. I think that last word is not a good word to end a sentence with. Right now I can’t think of another way to end it without using ‘of’. I’ll shut up and ask, what do you guys think? I can’t anymore.

Grandpa Doug

#59840 - 06/06/03 01:29 PM Re: IKN7000 vocal harmonizer
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Granpa Doug
You're a funny but wise man. God bless you.

Bernie

#59841 - 06/11/03 05:08 PM Re: IKN7000 vocal harmonizer
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Douglas Dean:
I remember Mr. Yee bitching about the vocalizer . . . you (Uncle Dave) told him to quit moaning and get a digitech.

I wasn't going to respond, but since (I assume) you were obviously referring to me specifically by name:

Mr Dean: You don't have your facts straight. I don't know why, but I've always felt you had an axe to grind with me, but not sure why. I've owned a Digitech brand: 'Vocalist Workstation EX' and used it with my Technics KN5000, long 'before' Technics added a built in vocalizer to their keyboards. I also don't remember Uncle Dave ever telling me to quit moaning about the Technics built in vocalizer, as it was he who bitched loudly about it as well.

Quote:
Originally posted by Douglas Dean:

Is there any other keyboard manufacture who has a built in harmonizer that works as good as or better than the Digitech?

YES ! I find the built in vocalizer included in the Yamaha Tyros to be of comparable sound quality to my stand alone Digitech Vocalist Workstation EX unit. In fact, when playing the Yamaha Tyros, I no longer take the Vocalist Workstation EX.

An IMPORTANT (not mentioned before) advantage to a 'built in to the keyboard' type vocalizer is that vocalizer settings can be stored & called up along with a specific song in 'panel (reg) memory'. A song may consist of 4-5 different vocal harmony changes, so it's a lot more convenient to have these settings stored along with all the other panel reg settings (style selection, instrument voice setups, etc) than having to store, call up, and trigger them separately via a 3rd party unit (Digitech) and trigger the changes via another footswitch pedal as well. It's much better to store/call up EVERYTHING in one place: Panel (reg) Memory and via a single foot pedal. If Technics would have just included a built in vocalizer of comparable sound quality to the the one included in the Yamaha Tyros, I may still be playing a Technics keyboard. oh well... perhaps the KN8000.

btw: Many thanks to Bebop for letting me know about what transpired on this thread, and encouraging me to respond in kind.

Scott

#59842 - 06/12/03 02:38 AM Re: IKN7000 vocal harmonizer
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Scott old Buddy, Good to see you posting on the Technics forum again. I've just bought a Tyros as well and I agree wholeheartedly with your comments about the Vocaliser. In my opinion, it is just so much better than the Technics version. I seem to remember that this was one of the prime reasons why you chose the Tyros rather than the KN7000, way back in 2002. The inclusion of a vocaliser does not influence my choice of keyboard, since I never use it, mainly because I just don't have a voice good enough to inflict on others. Just out of interest, last weekend I asked a fellow musician, who does sing well, to have a listen to the new Tyros and the subject of vocal harmony arose - he normally uses a Digitech. We tried out the vocalisers on the KN7000 and the Tyros and they were like chalk and cheese. His opinion was that the Tyros vocaliser was as good as his Digitech but he did not like the KN7000 version at all. Looking a little further into the Tyros version, there are also many different harmony effects available.
So in answer to Grandpa Doug's question
"Willum, Is there any other keyboard manufacture who has a built in harmonizer that works as good as or better than the Digitech?"
Yes! the Tyros seems to come up trumps

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#59843 - 06/12/03 05:43 AM Re: IKN7000 vocal harmonizer
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Yamaha, Ketron, Korg, Farfisa(yes, FARFISA) all have mic inputs that put the kn series to shame. I have no allegience to any of these companies. I only want them to serve ME as a performer. I use what works best. The mic input in the kn series is adequate at best. It's not up to par with any of the brands I mentioned. As for the harmonies - Ketron and Yamaha seem to work the best for a built in unit, with the Korg following, and the Farfisa in the "horrible" column. Funny, how such a good mic input can be paired up with such a sub-standard harmonizer.
If you like the sound in the kn, then by all means ...... enjoy it, but you asked for opinions on this matter, and you got 'em.
I'm sure most singers will aggree with me when I say that the on board unit in the kn series is nothing to brag about.
The keyboard has lots of things to shout about, but the vocal section is not one of them.
I got plenty of sleep last night, BTW Doug.

#59844 - 06/12/03 06:05 AM Re: IKN7000 vocal harmonizer
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I purchased the kn6 purely on 'word of mouth' ... the ONLY time I've ever done anything like that ... My only disappointment in the board? ... The so-called vocal harmonizer ... IMHO it is UNUSABLE .. I've used the mic input a couple of times, but the harmonizer??? no way ...
t.

#59845 - 06/12/03 10:11 AM Re: IKN7000 vocal harmonizer
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Norrie:
Hi Scott old Buddy, Good to see you posting on the Technics forum again.

Hi Bill, thanks for the warm welcome. I still check in occasionally, but rarely post (for obvious reasons).

Congratulations on owning what I consider to be the 2 BEST arranger keyboards out there now. I'm admittedly a bit envious that you have BOTH the KN7000 & Yamaha Tyros.

Happy music making to all my Technics friends,

Scott

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online