SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#59657 - 06/16/02 01:06 AM KN7000: a cynic's review?
peter castanos Offline

Loc: sydney australia
Let me preface this post as follows:

I am a cynic and a sceptic.

I have a serious aversion to marketing and consuming (my only major weakness being music CDs of which I have consumed several thousand). Generally my first impression of any new product is more negative than positive. However I can be swayed with time.

So here goes.

Today I went to the Consumer Electronics Show Australasia in Sydney (where I live). My brother who works for Sony had free passes otherwise there is no way I would pay to let somebody try to sell me something!

It never occurred to me that the KN7000 might be there, but THERE IT WAS! Sitting in a forgotten corner next to various laptops and other computer related products. Not only that but it was switched on with a pair of headphones at the ready.

On a little plaque was written “KN7000, available September 2002, recommended retail price $6,999.00”. That’s Australian dollars of course.

The appearance:
In a word, plasticy. Probably more so than the 6000 (my current keyboard). The flip-top control panel doesn’t appear to lock when in the closed position. It just sits closed on its own weight. I could be wrong though because I didn’t check closely. The black stuff above the keys is soft material probably shielding the connectors between the 2 sections of the keyboard.

The screen as can be seen from already available photos is unchanged. The panel memories are now in a circular push button arrangement with the set button in the middle as mentioned in another post.

Sound:
First of all I tried it through the speakers but it was hardly audible due to all the surrounding noise, so on went the headphones. As a result I can’t comment on the speakers.

Styles and sounds:
Now I don’t have a photographic memory so this is what I remember from 2 hours ago, and about 10 minutes at the keyboard in less than ideal surroundings. Most of the styles I recognised by name from the 6000. Auditioning them confirmed that they were essentially identical to the 6000 styles. Same with the sounds. Of course the additional sounds and styles that were added on the 6500 (which I haven’t played) were also included (I recognised these by name only). Undoubtedly there must be a few new styles and sounds on the 7000 but I believe it is no more than a few and in the short time I was there I can honestly say I couldn’t find them!

Summary:
Very disappointing. The 7000 is NOT a revolution. I am hard pressed to even say it is evolutionary. This is a keyboard with basically one innovation, namely the SD memory storage card.

However having said that, I am not computer literate and I did not check the rear connections and even if I did I don’t think I am qualified to comment. So perhaps there is more innovation going than I am aware of.

I am disappointed. Not disappointed in it as a keyboard because I love the 6000 and therefore I should logically also love the 7000. But disappointed in it as a legitimate upgrade. That it isn’t.

Is it worth the upgrade? I can’t answer that of course. Many people on this forum upgraded from 6000 to 6500 and were satisfied, so to each his/her own I guess.

In the end, and once all the hype has died down, the surprising conclusion might be that the improvements/additions from 6000 to 6500 (I guess I’m talking styles and sounds here) might end up being greater than those from 6500 to 7000, if you ignore the superficial design changes.

………..but remember, I’m a cynic and a sceptic!

#59658 - 06/16/02 03:03 AM Re: KN7000: a cynic's review?
technicsplayer Offline

I disagree about the one big innovation: the big innovation for me is the usb connection. We have a constant stream of posts about 'how do I make a cd?' - this solves a host of problems at one stroke.

Being able to record 16 bit 44.1 kHz audio directly to your hard disk, with no analogue stages, no additional effects from your soundcard, theoretically no audible difference between the cheapest and most expensive computer is a major step forward, for me at least. You can make cds now, easier than you could make cassettes in the past, and with none of the hiss, distortion, and inadequate dynamic range. Many have cdrw on their computers, many can now make a cd in around 5 minutes. All the problems of transferring the very high quality output of the KN without losing any of it in the pc have been solved. I have been using usb audio soundcard for a while and am very much in favour of this move.

There are plenty of workstation type features in the existing kn already, but final wave editing or even wave multitracking will now be so easy on the pc, and still get a top quality result.

This is the future, because hardware effects units are soon going to be out of date, replaced by the flexibility of software. Pc power has reached the stage where you virtually don't need hardware anymore. The big problem always was analogue in a pc - this solves it.

I believe that absolute beginners will be able to produce cds easier with the usb than has ever been the case before, and with virtually guaranteed top quality results. More experienced pc sound manipulators can play away with wave files with no worries about loss of quality.

The sd card is another paragraph, but let's see exactly what is built in there first.

As to the rest of it styles, voices, blah-blah - that is the same as every other model replacement, everyone will make their own mind up if it is worthwhile for them.

#59659 - 06/16/02 03:22 AM Re: KN7000: a cynic's review?
peter castanos Offline

Alec

This is a genuine question, not just a response to your response.

Is a usb connection on an arranger keyboard an innovation, or have other manufacturers already done it?

[This message has been edited by peter castanos (edited 06-16-2002).]

#59660 - 06/16/02 03:58 AM Re: KN7000: a cynic's review?
John North Offline

Loc: Alfreton, Derbyshire, England
I don't think we should lose sight of the fact that this Quote: "the big innovation for me is the usb connection" isn't a lot of use to anyone without a computer. It would be interesting to know what percentage of keyboard owners have a computer? I'm sure somebody will know the answer.

#59661 - 06/16/02 04:15 AM Re: KN7000: a cynic's review?
peter castanos Offline

Yes, it's odd. Almost as if the keyboard has a split personality. On the one hand it adds "serious" features like the usb but on the other it's looking increasingly like a (very expensive) toy!

#59662 - 06/16/02 04:34 AM Re: KN7000: a cynic's review?
technicsplayer Offline

no one has done it on a comparable mass market easy play general arranger before, so far as I can see. The first comparable mass market product was maybe the panasonic np10, which worked well when I tried it, but the 7k goes further still.

By definition every one on this forum must have a computer. All they need is a cdrw and writing software to make cds with the 7k. An audio recorder software is apparently supplied on the cd. After answering many queries and questions about this for a long time I think this will be a big plus point for first time pc users, and those who have never tried it before, certainly easier than it ever has been before.

I find it hard to believe that there are many purchasers of products in the 7k type league that don't have a pc... How can you get along without a pc nowadays? And what on earth is the point of buying equipment with good pc features if you don't have a pc?

#59663 - 06/16/02 04:47 AM Re: KN7000: a cynic's review?
Walter McLaren Offline

Loc: Borders. Scotland
Quote:
Originally posted by John North:
I don't think we should lose sight of the fact that this Quote: "the big innovation for me is the usb connection" isn't a lot of use to anyone without a computer. It would be interesting to know what percentage of keyboard owners have a computer? I'm sure somebody will know the answer.

Good one Johm, I remember the Technote mag. had a survey, and one of the questions was, do you own a computer, answer, I think, was 42%. No matter, what they did not ask was, do you use it for music. Perhaps a different story, the only three people I know who do are school music teachers. I am constantly impressed, and amazed, at the knowledge Alec, and others, have on this subject.
I consider myself technical and I woud'nt have a clue how to go about it. It would intrest me as to how they started and progressed!!
Walter.

#59664 - 06/16/02 05:00 AM Re: KN7000: a cynic's review?
technicsplayer Offline

I probably do far more wave file and mp3 work on the pc now than midi. Far more possibilities and fun. The software samplers and looping arrangers available are amazing.

The next big area of expansion is video. A dvd can be compressed down to 2 cds in mpeg4, and then viewed on your handheld personal digital assistant.

Midi is getting to be a little old hat in comparison. But there's still nothing easier than pressing easy record and off you go...

#59665 - 06/16/02 05:09 AM Re: KN7000: a cynic's review?
peter castanos Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by technicsplayer:

And what on earth is the point of buying equipment with good pc features if you don't have a pc?

In my case the earthly point was the quality of the styles and sounds which wasn't matched on cheaper models.

#59666 - 06/16/02 05:20 AM Re: KN7000: a cynic's review?
technicsplayer Offline

sure, like I said in the first place:

As to the rest of it styles, voices, blah-blah - that is the same as every other model replacement, everyone will make their own mind up if it is worthwhile for them.

no different to any other decision at any other time for any other product really.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online