SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#5954 - 11/26/03 06:16 AM Do the Arturia Moog V & Nord Modualr count as Modualr synths?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here's one that I am hoping will cause a great debate!

Does the Arturia Moog V & and Nord Modular count as actual modualr synths, even though they are virtual? See, when I think of a modualr synth I usually think of those big monsters Lik the Moog 900, or the Arp 2500 & 2600, and even some of the latter models.

Only reason why I asked is, baecuse I posted a thread on The Gas Station on Sonic State and someone asked me if virtual ones counted?

Hope I get a lot of posts.

#5955 - 11/26/03 09:57 AM Re: Do the Arturia Moog V & Nord Modualr count as Modualr synths?
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
they are considered virtual modular synths.

BTW The 2600 is a baby comparing to Monster Mogg or any full size modular systems.
The 2500 and the 2600 are not even considered modular, they're considered semi-modular.

-ED-

#5956 - 11/28/03 09:18 PM Re: Do the Arturia Moog V & Nord Modualr count as Modualr synths?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh Okay! Thanks ED!

#5957 - 11/29/03 07:08 AM Re: Do the Arturia Moog V & Nord Modualr count as Modualr synths?
Clif Anderson Offline

or "Modularly programmable hardware synth". Or maybe--"modular soft synths with dedicated hardware".

#5958 - 11/29/03 01:02 PM Re: Do the Arturia Moog V & Nord Modualr count as Modualr synths?
tekminus Offline

I wouldn't call them real modulars. I call my Nords Modulars because that's what Clavia named them.

Also, the G2 has been delayed again.

-tek

#5959 - 11/29/03 01:34 PM Re: Do the Arturia Moog V & Nord Modualr count as Modualr synths?
3351 Offline

Speaking of dedicated hardware and modular synths.
Arturia are considering making a rackmount version of the "Moog Modular".
check out their on-line survey:
http://www.arturia.com/en/rackmmv_survey.html

-ED-

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 11-29-2003).]

#5960 - 11/29/03 05:51 PM Re: Do the Arturia Moog V & Nord Modualr count as Modualr synths?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hmm! A Rack mount version of the Arturia Moog? Well If it was built the same or similar way as Synthesizers.com's Rackmount modular synth then yes I could see that being done. After all the .com one costs $895.00, but does not come in a wooden case. The only down side I see is that you could not expand it unles arturia startted building modules, but then I seriously doubt that. See, with the .com you can buy more modules to expand a current setup.

Then again if someone would like a small hard ware modular synth then I could see it. But it would have to be something spectatular, since there are so many modular synth companies. Moog Modulars are still being made as well. All be it not buy Moog Music. A company in upstate New York that used to be Moog C.E. but had to change the name due too copyright infringement since Bob Moog aquired the rights to his name back.

Sorry to get off track. It sounds like a good idea, but me personally I would prefer what Synthesizers.com has.

[This message has been edited by Paul-61 (edited 11-29-2003).]

#5961 - 11/29/03 06:11 PM Re: Do the Arturia Moog V & Nord Modualr count as Modualr synths?
Clif Anderson Offline

You can look at the Nord Modular in a number of ways. If you think of it as a hardware/software system in which the emulates a conventional (hardware) modular synth, then it is fair to call it a "virtual" modular synth. However, if you look at it apart from its role as an emulator, it is a real hardware/software synth in which real software modules are patched together in software to form real software synths. The second view would apply best to the Nord Modular G2, as it goes beyond emulation of any existing modular analog synth. Too bad we can't get one this year.

#5962 - 11/29/03 07:04 PM Re: Do the Arturia Moog V & Nord Modualr count as Modualr synths?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well that's why I am going with just one synth.

#5963 - 12/01/03 10:58 AM Re: Do the Arturia Moog V & Nord Modualr count as Modualr synths?
3351 Offline

Well, I personally think that the new Arturia rackmount should do a lot more then just the Moog Modular. It should be a dedicated device for Arturia plug-ins.
I can do it all on my MAC, but as I always say "NO MORE MOUSE CLICKING!". Some hardware with LOTS of knobs, it's own CPU, USB port and may be analog and SPDIF IN/OUTS is what I'm after - PRO stuff, not a toy to do MOOG sounds. As for .com synth, I'm still getting mine. Nothing beats the real thing.

-ED-

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online