SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#59520 - 01/09/05 05:53 AM Re: I Have not heard this one before
Khai Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
The section about Computer Connection in the Technics Operating Instructions Manual refers to both USB terminals and MIDI terminals. The configurations corresponding to the five modes (NORMAL, PC as master, KN as master, KN as slave, and INTERFACE) can actually be seen as individual schematic diagrams on the screen of the KN7000, KN2600 and KN2400 when one uses the ^ and v buttons to select a desired mode.

Khai

#59521 - 01/09/05 07:33 AM Re: I Have not heard this one before
technicsplayer Offline

Midi communication through usb has nothing to do with whether KN7000/2600 can use an external usb floppy or flash drive and does not change the facts as I have described them. It will not work, end of story.

#59522 - 01/09/05 11:31 AM Re: I Have not heard this one before
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Folks.
"WOW" What have I done?.

I think I will speak on behalf of many people who would like to say something on this subject,but like me, not tecnical enough to comment. "I will say". a lot of people on the site are far more able to answer the question I asked,My trouble is, when a person who knows what they are talking about tells me something.I tend to believe what they say,trust comes to mind.
I do know information can pass from P.C to KN7000/2600,We have all done that of course.
And the interface is USB.I also understand that when using floppies,we first load the floppies onto an SD card,and then put the SD card into the keyboard.But it is possible to load from PC direct to an SD Card located in the keyboard, using Song Manager. This is why I am confused.If I can load from PC floppy to SD card located in the KN2600,Why can I not load from a USB floppy to a SD card in the KN2600.The reason is not at all clear to me.
Sincerely.
Joe.

#59523 - 01/09/05 12:53 PM Re: I Have not heard this one before
technicsplayer Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil Lynch:
Hi Folks.
"WOW" What have I done?.

asked a perfectly reasonable question and got the correct answer...

when transferring from pc to panel in the KN7000/2600 through Song Manager and the usb connection (you can't copy from pc to sd through Song Manager, you copy files to keyboard memory and then save to sd, unless a restore operation) you are using a pc software and pc drivers designed for the KN7000/2600 for midi transfer and a pc with windows loaded which is a host enabled device capable of talking to slave devices such as KN7000/2600 and any other usb slave device such as a usb floppy drive or usb flash drive (since this has been raised as if there is some difference to a usb floppy when for this question there is no difference at all).

A usb floppy (or usb flash drive) has no software, drivers, or transfer protocol, and neither has the KN7000/2600 the hardware or software to be enabled as a host device, so no communication is possible. Connecting the two together would be no different to connecting two usb floppy drives to a powered hub without any connection to a computer and expecting to be able to copy a floppy from one to the other.

To work it would have to be an intelligent usb floppy drive with host capability, which I have never seen yet, though I do have a battery powered host device for connecting two slave devices in the field such as cameras or card readers and portable hard drives. However even this would not work because the transfer protocol is designed for copying from one device to a folder on the other, both being usb mass storage devices. There would be zero capability of copying files from usb floppy to sd and updating the system files to enable the files to be seen in screen, and not even the correct protocols to be able to load into keyboard memory, the KN7000/2600 is not configured as a usb mass storage device, so a complete non-starter.

#59524 - 01/09/05 01:18 PM Re: I Have not heard this one before
Khai Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by technicsplayer:
Midi communication through usb has nothing to do with whether KN7000/2600 can use an external usb floppy or flash drive and does not change the facts as I have described them. It will not work, end of story.

Your insisting and harping on such a plain fact that I never object in the first place are just like running in a circle.

As I indicated, check all that I have written and you'll find that my writing agrees with you on this point both specifically and by default. In addition, I have also generalise to other situations as described. As clarified and stated in my previous post, I never claim that the "fire of love" can spark between a largely passive storage device (such as flash memory, hard disk drive or floppy disk drive) and a KN7000 or KN2600.

Khai

#59525 - 01/09/05 02:12 PM Re: I Have not heard this one before
technicsplayer Offline

come off it... telling me to read the instruction book about "untapped capabilities" was supposed to be agreeing...? and then bringing up the midi modes as if they had anything at all to do with an answer to the question when totally irrelevant...? that doesn't fool anyone.

I'm glad you've finally come around to agreeing though, it took long enough.

#59526 - 01/09/05 07:05 PM Re: I Have not heard this one before
Khai Offline

Dear TechnicsPlayer,

I am sorry if there is the possibility that I offended you by suggesting that reading the manual may help.

My mentioning of the "untapped capabilities" was in the context of stating "How a USB device appears to a computer is up to the device, the device driver(s) and other supporting software(s)", and in debunking the restrictive context of your statement that "the Technics keyboards appear to a computer like an External disc drive".

As I indicated, the section about Computer Connection in the Technics Operating Instructions Manual refers to both USB terminals and MIDI terminals, NOT just MIDI.

Khai

#59527 - 01/09/05 08:24 PM Re: I Have not heard this one before
Khai Offline

Basically, the points that I have been making refer to the broader capabilities of a PC and a keyboard (via MIDI, USB and/or other types of terminals) and somehow it got interpreted as disputing the impossibility of a keyboard driving a passive USB drive. The misunderstanding probably started as a result of my initial, exploratory entertaining of the feasibility of Phil Lynch's story sourced from a friend who has been in contact with Technics.

Khai

#59528 - 01/09/05 08:30 PM Re: I Have not heard this one before
technicsplayer Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Khai:
the restrictive context of your statement that "the Technics keyboards appear to a computer like an External disc drive".

That is a lie, you will not find that statement anywhere in my posts. Don't put words into my mouth and then try to pretend they are quotes.

Quote:

As I indicated, the section about Computer Connection in the Technics Operating Instructions Manual refers to both USB terminals and MIDI terminals, NOT just MIDI.

so what? midi down the usb has absolutely no relevance towards explaining whether a usb floppy will work plugged into the back of the KN7000/2600 the question which I answered correctly in the first place. But of course AFTER I had explained it to Phil suddenly you say you agreed with me all the way through the thread after all...

#59529 - 01/09/05 11:30 PM Re: I Have not heard this one before
Tony W Offline

Loc: Lancaster UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Khai:
Dear TechnicsPlayer,

If you have little faith or experience in the untapped capabilities of what your technics keyboard(s) can do when they are interfaced with a computer, then please doublecheck your Technics operating instructions........
....."Connect your KN7000 or KN2600 to your computer via USB 2.0 and discover for yourself gradually the many-splendoured things that spark between the keyboard and computer. . . . . It is a love affair more vividly told, unfurled and sped up many times".

Khai

Since I no longer own a technics arranger I rarely feel the need to post in this section anymore. However I do read it regularly to see what you are all up to. The above quote made me laugh out loud!!! (and I mean a real belly laugh!)

Khai,
Please if I can offer you a little friendly advice? ....Technicsplayer has no need to check his manual believe me. He probably had a hand in writing it in the first place ... and if not could (and did) write his own manual much appreciated by the technics community at large.

I don't think there is anyone with as wide a knowledge of technics boards than Alec and generally if he says something is fact you can lay money on it.
Trust me!
Very best wishes
Tony

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online