SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#59457 - 10/22/04 02:38 PM Advice on upgrading
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am considering upgrading my KN6500 for a
7000 but having asked others about this (including two shops)I am told that apart
from the SD card system and a few improved
organ sounds there is very little difference.
Can anyone who has upgraded tell me if it is
worth it. I'm a poor wrinkly and don't want
to spend money unless I get value from it!!)
Any advice would be appreciated.

[This message has been edited by Chirpy920 (edited 10-22-2004).]

#59458 - 10/22/04 04:16 PM Re: Advice on upgrading
etwo4788 Offline

Loc: S.E. New Mexico USA
CHIRPY......Having ownned/played 5 Technics KN's...the 1K, 3K, 5K, & I still have both the 6K & 7K... They have all been wonderful to play.....My 6K has the additional hard drive that allows for more storage of data than I will ever need. The sound is great. I play it every Saturday for a wonderful group of people at a local Nursing Home....

The 7K is AWESOME! I would love to have another one as a back-up & to play for the NH....The sound is improved, the new organ rhythms are wonderful, the SD card is a great & convenient addition. Having the ability to connect your computer to your 7K via the USB port allows for lots of terrific options for greater enjoyment....

I don't know about you but I am sure worth the expense of having one even on my fixed income!

Suggest you play one for awhile & determine for yourself if you & the 7K are worth the expense! This is a very personal decision IMO....

ELIZABETH

#59459 - 10/22/04 04:23 PM Re: Advice on upgrading
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Chirpy and welcome to the Forum.
There has been much discussion on this Forum about the differences between the KN6xxx and the KN7000, 99% of which is very favourable toward the KN7000. I have had all the major KN series since the KN800, always upgraded to the latest model when it was available and have never regretted doing so.
There is much more to the KN7000 than "the SD card and a few improved organ sounds". To mention a few : All the sounds have been re-sampled, the on-board amplification and speaker system has been improved, the USB interface allows direct digital transfer of SD card data to a PC for back-up purposes and also allows you to digitally transfer your performances to CD, via PC, rather than using an analogue method.
There is also a massive free style library available for download. It includes most of the styles from past KN series keyboards, converted to KN7000 format and also the styles from the KN2400/KN2600 keyboards. They are available here : http://www.technicskn7000.com/home.asp on the 'Software' page.
In the end, it is your decision so I would recommend that you find a dealer who has a KN7000 and go and play it for as long as you can - I'm sure you won't be disappointed!

------------------
Willum

Hi Elizabeth : Looks like we were both posting at the same time

[This message has been edited by Bill Norrie (edited 10-22-2004).]

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#59460 - 10/24/04 05:42 AM Re: Advice on upgrading
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks very much for your advice. It looks as
though my decsion will be to upgrade. Am even more surprised thst two dealers were so negative about it.

#59461 - 10/24/04 07:42 AM Re: Advice on upgrading
Bill Norrie Offline

Maybe the dealers' negativity is due to the fact that Technics are no longer manufacturing musical instruments......
Make up your own mind after you have had a chance to play one
I am not the only one who believes that the KN7000 is the best yet!!

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley

#59462 - 10/25/04 04:30 PM Re: Advice on upgrading
Anonymous
Unregistered

To each his own. Dealers look for profit.

My 7000 with Fred's new Explorer Tool will follow me to the grave.

Cannot imagine anything better for a home player with not a lot of computer sense.

My grave could be a lot closer than yours.
I am looking for a religion that will allow me to bring my 7000 in trade for the harp. Or should I say pitch fork!!

Fran in Florida

#59463 - 10/26/04 07:27 AM Re: Advice on upgrading
etwo4788 Offline

Loc: S.E. New Mexico USA
Comparing specs between two KB's could NEVER be anywhere near the same as playing & listening to those same KB's!!!!!!

My 7K will go with me wherever I go. It is my religion!!!...I will buy a second one when the opportunity arises......If you don't get one.....my chances are greater!

Enjoy your KN6500!!!!!

ELIZABETH

#59464 - 10/26/04 09:42 AM Re: Advice on upgrading
Bill Norrie Offline

Quote: "Comparing specs between two KB's could NEVER be anywhere near the same as playing & listening to those same KB's"

Ain't that the truth Elizabeth smile

Catsailor, I don't understand how you can quote that the KN6500 and KN7000 have the same sound system - that just is not true!!

Aldous Huxley

#59465 - 10/26/04 11:28 AM Re: Advice on upgrading
Anonymous
Unregistered

I had the 6000 and a friend had the 6500. I thought the sound system were the same.

The 7000 is far, far superior to the 6000 that I had.

Fran in Florida

#59466 - 10/26/04 09:06 PM Re: Advice on upgrading
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
I think 6000/6500 owners underestimate the power of the SD Card. Not only can one of these little cards hold as much data as one 6500 hard drive, you can play real audio files through the 7000 via the SD Card.

I also agree with those that praise the 7000 sound system. IMHO it has way more power then any previous KN Boards.

This is not to say the 6000/6500 are not excellent keyboards, but the 7000 is a step ahead...and a pretty big step at that.However Chirpy920 and others make a good point when you compare costs.

Maybe a better question would be to compare the 6500 to the 2600.
Which would you choose?
I can't answer, because I never played the 2600. Maybe those that had both the 6500 and 2600 (Bebop)could weigh in their opinion.

Just my 2 cents worth
Larry Hawk

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#59467 - 10/27/04 09:50 AM Re: Advice on upgrading
Chuck Piper Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Catsailor, Peter, or whoever or whatever you are,

I, for one, do not appreciate your snide remarks and I dare say the other forum members feel the same. You can make your point or correct wrong information on this forum kindly and politely or cynically. I'm sorry you opted for the latter. Please behave like a gentleman and friend rather than a jerk. As one American to another, you shame us.

Chuck

[This message has been edited by Chuck Piper (edited 10-27-2004).]

#59468 - 10/27/04 11:56 AM Re: Advice on upgrading
Chuck Piper Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
No, Peter - YOU LIGHTEN UP! I could care less what keyboard you buy or play, or what its specs are. I don't care if you like or dislike organ voices, SD card technology or whatever. That is for you to decide. I was offended by your snotty remark, "This ought to get those old juices flowing in those tired old bodies, eh?" Your insolent attitude is not appreciated.

Chuck

#59469 - 10/28/04 10:12 AM Re: Advice on upgrading
Johnnie.c Offline

Loc: England
Quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Piper:
[B]Catsailor, Peter, or whoever or whatever you are,
B]

I am a bit disappointed that catsailor has done a runner because I wanted to get my twopenneth in as well.
Such rubbish from a single minded idiot.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online