SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#59231 - 02/14/02 02:30 PM Microsoft XP
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Anyone considering 'Upgrading' to XP may like to read the comments here. http://www.arachnoid.com/boycott/index.html

Very Interesting

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#59232 - 02/15/02 03:20 AM Re: Microsoft XP
technicsplayer Offline

absolutely Bill,
they had to back down on some rights infringements in the states already because of legal challenges before it was released. We do not seem to have the same protection here, but all politicians now bow down to big business and do very little for the people who voted them in.

the whole thing stinks of big brother. If you know the files, you can back them up and replace them when you're disabled. Also cracks are available if you search for them. Maybe microsoft will force everyone to run cracked versions in time?

what worries me is that they have gone a decade backwards in security. microsoft giving itself the chance to inspect your hard disks have let the door open for every hacker on the net.

I'm with you 100% here.

#59233 - 02/15/02 12:31 PM Re: Microsoft XP
Bill Norrie Offline

Hi Alec, At work today, I saw briefly a posting on a web site that someone had cracked the 'Enabling' process - Inevitable wasn't it ? I was called away before I could read it properly so didn't get the address. I'll get my colleague to turn it up again on Monday.

Cheers . .

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley

#59234 - 02/16/02 05:21 AM Re: Microsoft XP
technicsplayer Offline

the license of office xp allows use on a single desktop and a single laptop. I have 4 laptops which cannot be used by anyone else, so even if I buy xp I cannot use it on my machines without a lengthy and expensive telephone conversation trying to persuade some non-entity at microsoft that I own all my machines and have a legitimate use for them. This is my business, not theirs, and an abuse of monopoly power.

I have many peripherals, users who change core components often need to get "special permission" to get many and often activations out of microsoft.

Pure madness.

for those with xp search for wpa.dbl and back it up. this file monitors any one of ten componenets or serial numbers and logs them. when more than 3 changes have been made the file is deleted and reactivation by microsoft is required. just restore the original file to windows system reactivates xp for the vast majority of users. search the net and you might find a universal file that works in any circumstances.
up yours, bill! (gates that is ... not Norrie!)

#59235 - 02/16/02 04:58 PM Re: Microsoft XP
Bill Norrie Offline

Something tells me that Alec doesn't think very much of a certain company or it's chief !!
Don't blow a gasket Alec - we know you love them really.

------------------
Willum

Aldous Huxley

#59236 - 02/17/02 01:38 AM Re: Microsoft XP
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Don't we all just LOVE Microsoft and the
clever way they build the imperior and want
to control all of us in the cyberspace and
elsewhere??
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#59237 - 02/17/02 02:08 AM Re: Microsoft XP
technicsplayer Offline

I'd love them if they brought out products with sound, engineering, logical and useful progressions from one to the next. They dont, they deliberately make things non-compatible to squeeze the last few cents forcing people to change their hardware and software when it is not necessary...

#59238 - 02/17/02 03:48 AM Re: Microsoft XP
Bill Norrie Offline

Just to add to the 'FUN'

Bill Gates vs General Motors

At a recent computer expo. (COMDEX), Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer industry with the auto industry and stated "If GM had kept up with the technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving $25.00 cars that got 1,000 miles to the gallon."
In response to Bill's comments, General Motors issued a press release stating: If GM had developed technology like Microsoft, we would all be driving cars with the following characteristics:

1. For no reason whatsoever, your car would crash twice a day.

2. Every time they repainted the lines in the road, you would have to buy a new car.

3. Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason. You would have to pull over to the side of the road, close all of the car windows, shut it off, restart it, and reopen the windows before you could continue. For some reason you would simply accept this..

4. Occasionally, executing a maneuver such as a left turn would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, in which case you would have to reinstall the engine.

5. Only one person at a time could use the car unless you bought "CarNT", but then you would have to buy more seats.

6. Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, was reliable, five times as fast and twice as easy to drive -- but would only run on five percent of the roads.

7. The oil, water temperature, and alternator warning lights would all be replaced by a single "General Protection Fault" warning light.

8. New seats would force everyone to have the same sized butt.

9. The airbag system would ask "are you SURE?" before deploying.

10. Occasionally, for no reason whatsoever, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key and grabbed hold of the radio antenna.

11. GM would require all car buyers to also purchase a deluxe set of Rand McNally Road maps (now a GM diary), even though they neither need nor want them. Attempting to delete this option would immediately cause the car's performance to diminish by 50 % or more. Moreover, GM would become a target for investigation by the Justice Dept.

12. Every time GM introduced a new car, car buyers would have to learn to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the same manner as the old car.

13. You'd have to press the "Start" button to turn the engine off.

------------------
Willum

Aldous Huxley

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online