SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#59099 - 07/22/02 09:31 PM KN6000/6500/7000
Ted Rose Offline

Loc: United States
Hello again! My latest tale of woe and "puzzlement"! Not too long after I purchased my KN5000 several years ago, the new KN6000 arrived in the showroom, looking totally different and exciting. There seemed to be such a difference in the upgrade that I was sorely tempted, but put it off, having spent so much for the 5000 already. Fortunately, before I was convinced to invest the extra money to buy the 6000, the 6500 suddenly appeared. (To this day, I wonder what difference(s) there are between these two instruments. It seemed to me that perhaps the 6500 came out to fix any bugs in the 6000 but that is just my own idea.) Anyway, I finally succumbed and traded up to the 6500, never regretting that decision for a minute. But now, just a couple of years later, another new instrument, the 7000 is produced! Before even investing more money in still another upgrade, I can't help but wonder how long it will be before a 7500 suddenly appears?! I realize that this is almost like buying a car where as soon as it is driven out of the showroom it is already getting ready to be replaced by a newer model. But I suppose I will be tempted again by this seemingly snazzy new addition to the Technics line. I don't want an obsolete instrument (and assume it will be some time before the 6500 is such!) but am concerned at the speed with which new models seem to be appearing. Or is that just my opinion? Some of you here on the Forum have KN's older than the 6500/6000/5000 and I wonder whether you are as frustrated as I am when the new models appear with such seeming rapidity? Like new cars every year, I suppose the keyboard industry is constantly expected to upgrade and improve but I wonder how long the average keyboard enthusiast keeps his instrument before buying a newer model? As I said, just a tale of woe and frustration on my part as I read more and more about the new 7000 and drool at the prospect...
I suppose that, if I was more than just a rank amateur musician, each new instrument investement would be more easily justified. Sorry to bother you all but I had to get this off my chest and you guys and gals are always so sympathetic. Thanks for listening!

Ted Rose

#59100 - 07/22/02 10:05 PM Re: KN6000/6500/7000
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hello

According to Dennis Awe former Technics Artist and currently a Lowrey Organ concert artist with whom I work with from time to time, the KN6000 had bugs. There was a $500 upgrade you could buy for it. The KN6500 was basically the KN6000 minus the bugs (with a few add on's I guess).

Scott Langholff

#59101 - 07/23/02 12:20 AM Re: KN6000/6500/7000
Richard Bools Offline

The only real change between the 6000 and 6500 was the addition of some new voices and styles. You could also buy an expansion card for the 6000 to bring it up to 6500 spec in this regard.

As far as the introduction of new models is concerned, the KN5000 was introduced mid 1997, the KN6000 late 1999, the KN6500 mid to late 2000 (from memory?) and now the KN7000. The frequency is therefore about 2 years (ignoring the 6000/6500 'minor' increment). As you say, its all down to the relentless march of technology, like buying a PC really!

I think that in the end you have to sit down and think about how you 'actually' use whatever model you've got and how much extra enjoyment potential there may be from upgrading. Having the latest model is only worth it if you are going to use the new features you've just paid for.

I have a 6000 and resisted the temptation to get a 6500 as the benefits were, to my mind, marginal. The 7000 appears to still have a lot of technology based on the previous models (same screen and the same 'basic' key layouts etc.), but may have enough on it to tempt me, especially since you no longer need overpriced 3rd party hard drives.

Except that any cash that may have been available went towards paying for my impending honeymoon yesterday. Oh well!

Richard.

#59102 - 07/23/02 01:46 AM Re: KN6000/6500/7000
technicsplayer Offline

I've never heard of a $500 upgrade to cure 6000 bugs? Maybe he was talking about the EW65 card? That only cured bugs in respect that a new operating system was included on a couple of floppies. But that operating system was available free on the internet or from your dealer all the while anyway, there was no need to buy the card just for that.

As far as I could tell, the 6500 operating system was the same as the last operating system released for the 6000. 65 had no bugs because they had all been identified on the 6 and cured during its lifetime, I guess, and that mostly early on.

I think the 65 was put on the market to provide effective competition for the 9000pro. The whole point of releasing an upgrade card indicated that you did not have to, or were even necessarily expected to change keyboards. Many did out of choice.

Honeymoon or 7000? Now, that's a question I would not let my fiance see...

#59103 - 07/23/02 02:14 AM Re: KN6000/6500/7000
John North Offline

Loc: Alfreton, Derbyshire, England
Except that any cash that may have been available went towards paying for my impending honeymoon yesterday. Oh well!

Richard.[/B][/QUOTE]

Richard - Just think of the wonderful music you will make on your honeymoon

#59104 - 07/23/02 02:37 AM Re: KN6000/6500/7000
Richard Bools Offline

Here's a thought....

I buy a 7000 'on the quiet' and ignoring the expense, set it up at the altar and play the Wedding March as she comes down the aisle! She'd be so surprised she couldn't possibly complain at the purchase! Hope the Church Organ samples are up to scratch!

Richard.

#59105 - 07/23/02 03:37 AM Re: KN6000/6500/7000
peter castanos Offline

Loc: sydney australia
Quote:
Originally posted by technicsplayer:
I've never heard of a $500 upgrade to cure 6000 bugs? Maybe he was talking about the EW65 card? That only cured bugs in respect that a new operating system was included on a couple of floppies. But that operating system was available free on the internet or from your dealer all the while anyway, there was no need to buy the card just for that.

As far as I could tell, the 6500 operating system was the same as the last operating system released for the 6000. 65 had no bugs because they had all been identified on the 6 and cured during its lifetime, I guess, and that mostly early on.

I think the 65 was put on the market to provide effective competition for the 9000pro. The whole point of releasing an upgrade card indicated that you did not have to, or were even necessarily expected to change keyboards. Many did out of choice.

There was a bug of some type with the first batch of 6000s (caused lock ups to the best of my recollection) that required replacement of, I think, a resistor on the main board. It was acknowledged by Panasonic here in Australia as they told me to take my 6000 directly to them to replace the suspect part. Since replacing that part in 2000 plus of course updating the software with each release I've had a completely problem free instrument.

I recall several people, I believe you were one of them Alec, perceived an improvement in the sound on the 6500 by reason of some internal re-equalization. Of course if that's the case, the 6000 could never have sounded as good as the 6500 merely by adding the ew65 and updating software.

#59106 - 07/23/02 03:52 AM Re: KN6000/6500/7000
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Well now here's a different thought on this subject...
I own a KN920 and play publicly - the machine does everything I need it to, with a bit of amplification...and the quality of the sounds and rhythms is unsurpassed in my view.
What I am constantly looking for - either free or to buy - is style files for specific songs, as I do like to make my performances as realistic as possible.
Sure there are fancier gimmicks on the newer machines but what I focus on is entertaining the audience to the best of my ability rather than some more toys to play with at home...
Roger M

#59107 - 07/23/02 05:13 AM Re: KN6000/6500/7000
Ted Rose Offline

Great comments! Looking forward to much more feedback as well. I guess I am not alone in my frustration at a new KN model every couple of years and the anguishing decision whether to upgrade or not. But, as some of you have said, unless you MUST have the latest, use what you have to the fullest and just enjoy! (By the way, speaking of enjoying, have a great honeymoon, Richard! Why not add the 7000 to your gift list and maybe all your friends can get together and get you that instead of all those toasters, etc. )

Ted Rose

#59108 - 07/23/02 06:34 AM Re: KN6000/6500/7000
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
I moved up to the 6500 from the 6000 with no regrets. First a good trade-in from my dealer and secondly, a perception that the sound had actually been improved---less distortion, etc. sealed the deal. Maybe the differences were subtle, but present nevertheless. Comparisons of home recordings (CD's) seem to favor the 6500 to me. Also, no lock-ups which I experienced with the 6k. That's worth something. The workmanship and overall "feel" of the instrument seemed improved as well. I like the 6500 so much the new 7k will really have to be impressive to entice me to trade. But I'm willing.
Larry

#59109 - 07/23/02 07:51 AM Re: KN6000/6500/7000
technicsplayer Offline

Hi Peter,
I personally never came across any lock-up machines, so consequently never saw any go back for this mod you talk of. But if it was a resistor then $500 is a bit steep!

I don't understand your second point. I have never said the EW65 made them sound identical, it didn't. It gave you all the better voices and styles a lot cheaper than swapping boards. Many, including myself, changed boards because for us the total difference was worth it. Others had a further option open to them, if they chose to take it, with the upgrade card, that's all.

I think Richard has got the perfect solution playing the Wedding March, no bride could object to that serenade on the big day.

#59110 - 07/23/02 08:18 AM Re: KN6000/6500/7000
Richard Bools Offline

Alec,

Re-reading the thread I think that Peter is responding to my comment about adding an EW65 to bring a 6000 up to 6500 spec and saying that it wouldn't quite because you suspected that the 6500 internal EQ had been tweaked as well. I should originally have said 'almost' to 6500 spec! I also seem to remember that you once commented about this. Did you ever get a chance to do an A-B comparison and decide for sure?

Regards,

Richard.

#59111 - 07/23/02 12:22 PM Re: KN6000/6500/7000
technicsplayer Offline

Ah, I see what you mean about the thread now.
Yes, I had a chance to compare before I decided to swap. I found it was a lot more noticable at home in quiet surroundings playing all the songs you were used to hearing than in a noisy dealers show etc.

But the other factor was losing one slot if you filled one with ew65 card. If they had sounded identical I may have just got the card instead, but then you couldn't fit both 01 and 02 cards.
I have hooked up all sorts modules and samplers and other boards in my time, but at the end of the day it is just so convenient to have it all built in, instantly available, and instantly useable in any part when inspiration strikes, if you see what I mean. So the other cards played a part in my personal decision.

hope you get some good tunes on your big day

#59112 - 07/23/02 02:30 PM Re: KN6000/6500/7000
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
I can't believe it! All you guys out there have never noticed! I feel so sorry for you. If I had the money I would send each and every one of you a free voucher to visit the optometrist. Incredible!!!! Ted, and also all you guys out there, you have to be more creative in your thinking. Be more observant of the things around you. I know how hard it is to convince my Ruthie to buy me a new board seeing I only had the previous one a little better than a year. Also some of you guys who tend to be a little tight might have a problem departing with a few bucks. You have to psych yourselves up. Have a good talk with yourselves. Never let a few slabs of green stuff get in the way of your pleasure. Listen up and I’ll explain what I mean and how I went about it. Guys, first thing you got to do is sharpen up your eyeballs.

Ruthie, I said, you know how you always complain about me not putting the cover on my board when I’m finished playing. How it gets dusty and faded from the sun beating in through the window. How when I walk by with my blueberry biscuit and cup of coffee and inadvertently spill or get a spot on the KN on my way to my recliner? Well hon, that's all gona change. Looking at me with a weary eye she at last ventured the word, WHEN. Not blinking an eye I proceeded to explain what I had in mind. Ruthie, I said with a gusto that got her attention, right now if not sooner. After detecting a muffled sort of sound exuding deep within her lovely throat I proceeded. First of all, as soon as the store opens I’m taking this board down to get it restored to first class shape. All them coffee and beer stains that bug and embarrass you when we have company over will be gone. All that dried peanut butter from the grand kids will be taken care of. You’ll see. Believe you me, from now on a covered keyboard will be a clean keyboard. Isn’t that what I’ve been telling you all along? Ignoring that bit of sarcasm I proceed to pack the board into the car. With keyboard underarm and a spring in my step I proceeded to unload the board onto the owners desk. Well what do you think, I ventured, can you make this thing look like new? Well, I suppose we can clean this board up somewhat. I don’t think we can bring back the color in that faded area from the sun, but we can try. Oh, Oh! That deep scratch from the sequencer button drifting down to the right bottom side of the board is bad. Very bad! Very bad indeed!! Can’t you paint it, I suggested? Glancing at me above his thick black rimmed glasses he said, Hardly! While reaching up and scratching his head while sitting down in his rather nicely padded chair he invited me to do the same. Without mincing words he explained my approach to restoring it to mint condition was just not in the books. Sensing my distress he began proposing an alternate plan. If you want a nice looking piece of equipment, take the money you would spend to tidy up your board, such as it is, and upgrade the 6 to a 65. Not only will it look good but you got new rhythms and sounds to play with. I would say a man of your stature if you would add a few green ones to the old board and taking into consideration the restoration cost of the 6 you would be very happy. And happy I was. Just what I had in mind.

With my new 65 underarm, closing the door behind me, I ambled over to the now vacant stand and set the new board in it’s rightful place. Ruthie hearing the noise, came into the living room from the kitchen drying her hands along the way. With a sweeping flair of my right arm I said, well what do you think? I didn’t think it was possible she exclaimed. I knew it was dirty but not that dirty. Look how nice and silvery it is. That old dark gray is all gone. I’ll be doggone, she remarked, I don’t remember it being so nice and bright. Guess old age is got something to do with the memory cells. What in the world? I don’t believe it. Looks like you took it to the dentist. The ivory off color white of the keys is gone. So sparkling white. Almost looks like its smiling at me. Maybe you should brush your teeth more often. I heard they got a new process. Look into it. Your ivories could use a good whitening. Tell me, she said, what all did they do to it. You sure got your moneys worth. Nice job what ever they did. I’ll tell you later, I suggested, right now I would like to hear if she sounds any better. The keys of the keyboard are pure white and the color of the case is now all silver. None of you guys mentioned this but the women notice. Use these things to your advantage........

How long you got it aint everything. Money aint everything. Good looks got it’s place also. Ruthie picked me and I would like to think the latter is why she chose me. Dreaming is also very handy. When facts get in the way let dreaming take over.

From the well of Grampa Doug’s wisdom.

#59113 - 07/23/02 07:47 PM Re: KN6000/6500/7000
peter castanos Offline

Loc: sydney australia
Hi Alec and thanks Richard for clarifying my post! I never seem to have enough time nowadays to think before typing!

The resistor upgrade I mentioned was free.

I agree that the $500 upgrade Scott mentioned must be the ew65.

#59114 - 07/23/02 08:59 PM Re: KN6000/6500/7000
Ted Rose Offline

Chuckle, Grandpa Doug! I loved your story but I couldn't get away with the same technique because I switched from a 5000 to a 6500 and there was no way I could convince my wife that my black 5000 was polished to a new silvery look, nor that the screen size was changed or that the buttons were moved around, etc. So, I had to admit that I had upgraded and gotten a NEW keyboard. No complaints on her part, though, because she insists my playing (such as it is) is great therapy and a whole lot less expensive in the long run that a shrink!! . I'm really thrilled with my 6500 and, as some others have said above, the 7000 will have to offer some great and truly irresistible innovations to have me switch again. Thanks, Grampa Doug, and ALL of you who have commented.

Ted Rose

#59115 - 07/24/02 07:45 PM Re: KN6000/6500/7000
Mike Daniell Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Qld, Australia
I guess we need to open up this forum to a few psychologists and/or marriage counsellors (provided they take our side!). I managed to get 'approval' for my KN7000 purchase because (a) I play my KN6000 a lot - far more than I have played any previous instrument, and (b) I told my wife the change-over price, to which she said something like 'That sounds alright'. So the next day I rang my dealer and placed the order.

Grampa Doug - since the KN7000 has a built-in keyboard cover (just close the lid) this could be a great reason to upgrade.

Mike

#59116 - 07/25/02 07:45 AM Re: KN6000/6500/7000
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
Grandpa Doug:
I loved your story. I can really identify with the part about "scratches" on the keyboard. Impeccable workmanship is a big deal with me. Before buying, I look all around the edges carefully--everywhere. If I've got to stare at a keyboard for hours, I don't want to see an imperfection every time I turn it on. How about dust or fingerprints behind the screen? Ever seen that? I had a Roland once where all the printing came off that identify the button functions. That was a nightmare.
Larry

#59117 - 07/25/02 08:29 PM Re: KN6000/6500/7000
Arthur R. Jacobs Offline

Loc: Alma, Michigan, 48801 USA
Interesting thread folks. Concerning the new models we get around every two years, and sometimes become upset over. Remember that the manufacturers are not always happy about this either. The problem is that they are often driven to it by the compatition. If Ford comes out with some new great feature, then all other car makers feel compeled to bring out new models with this same great feature on their cars, even though they had not planned on it, and actually wished they did not need to do it, due to market conditions, union trouble, or many other factors. Cash flow is another reason to introduce new models, and there are many other reasons too. We should not always fault the company for doing it, because sometimes in order to keep up they have to do it, Cheers ARJ

#59118 - 07/25/02 09:11 PM Re: KN6000/6500/7000
Ted Rose Offline

Hello again everyone! I had no idea how many responses--both here on the Forum and private e-mails--my brief comment would elicit. But I have truly enjoyed reading all of them and appreciate the time you all took to respond. Although I am devoted to my 6500 (which I have had for only a couple of years now), I must admit I am getting more and more excited about the 7000. If I can get a proper trade-in price from the only dealer in my area, perhaps I may even succumb! But I will wait until after many of you have gotten your new keyboards and can objectively (and subjectively) give your reactions and critiques. I don't know when the 7000 will be available here in the U.S. and specifically in the midwest,but I hope it will be soon! Again, thank you all for posting and writing. You are true friends!

Ted Rose
KN6500 junkie!

#59119 - 07/26/02 02:00 AM Re: KN6000/6500/7000
technicsplayer Offline

Arthur makes an interesting point.

The even bigger picture is that to stay in business every company needs to make profits. Irrespective of smaller factors like individual product differences and competitiveness, companies need cashflow to satisfy shareholders and keep employees in jobs. Without the consumer constantly buying new products the whole system would collapse. No consumer wants to buy shares on Wall Street at the moment and the system does not look healthy...

With the progress in technology it is probably easier to convince consumers to buy a new keyboard than many other more mature market technologies because there is always some new gizmo you can put in with the advance in microprocessors and relative cheapness of memory over time. This looks to hold for a few more years yet I guess.

Keyboards now have to compete with computer games, CD, DVD, satellite, video, digital cameras, all sorts of things for the attention of consumers... things that were not there in the more simple days of just music lovers buying a piano or organ???

#59120 - 07/27/02 10:15 PM Re: KN6000/6500/7000
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
the more simple days of just music lovers buying a piano or organ

The real shame is - there are less and less PLAYERS buying keyboards. The average home buyer is expecting the thing to play itself. No one is taking serious lessons anymore unless they have a plan to go pro.

Who in their right mind would buy an expensive organ or piano, if they couldn't make it sound good? Auto arrangers and one touch play have turned modern living rooms into karaoke concert halls.

It's all about toys. We all need our toys.
I use keyboards to make my living, and there is not enough emphasis on the modern pro's needs. There is more attention given to the home market than the pro market these days. The manufacturers don't even relize how much the professional music scene has changed in the last 20 years. If they did - they would be making the gear we need .... instead - it's all plastic junk with flimsy switches and wobbly buttons, or it's heavy beasts with enormous cases !

#59121 - 07/28/02 02:58 AM Re: KN6000/6500/7000
technicsplayer Offline

it is not surprising that the design of auto arrangers is geared towards the home player, because that is where the biggest market lies. Your 'pro' market must be tiny in comparison.

I've been asked to make disks for music school purposes in my time, and see plenty of kids happy to start learning playing along to a sequence. Nowadays they just would not stand playing scales for hours, because there are too many other distractions in their world. If it gets more kids started, then surely there are greater chances that more will carry on and take their music further.

You could argue that auto arrangers have meant that never before have so many home players been able to produce such good sounds before.

#59122 - 07/28/02 07:32 AM Re: KN6000/6500/7000
Uncle Dave Offline

Quote:
so many home players been able to produce such good sounds before.

or maybe, the arangers are producing the great sounds and the owners are tagging along for the ride.

I'm all for anything that gets a kid interrested in playing music, but the scales, and arpeggios, theory etc .... it's paramount to actually PLAYING music. Using arrangers is more like a "pint by numbers" approach to art. It's not a bad thing, but it doesn't really develope chops at all.

Yes, the pro market is small, as it is with most professions ... if it was easy - everyone would do it. The tool is not the most important element here, but the right one sure helps the cause.

Please don't take this as a negitive comment about home users. it's NOT. I am mearly stating that the playing technic is being ignored at the early stages, these days, and that's not going to produce more players ... just more owners.

#59123 - 07/28/02 09:31 AM Re: KN6000/6500/7000
technicsplayer Offline

The whole point about home players is they do it for fun, enjoyment, relaxation and a sense of personal achievement. They do not need to earn a living playing, because perhaps using their talents to earn a lot of money in other areas of endeavour, thus allowing them to buy the same boards that the pros use? After all if my job was easy then everyone would do it. Please don't take this as a negative comment about pro players, it's NOT.

I just see no difference whatsoever in an expert player selecting that machine which suits his 'feel' and needs and which helps in producing the most relaxed and best in performance, and the home player selecting the best auto board to do exactly the same for their own particular needs.

My point was simply that if we just had pianos and scales, you would surely have a great many less kids learning anything about music at all in the days of computer games, dvds, etc etc etc.

#59124 - 07/28/02 02:30 PM Re: KN6000/6500/7000
Uncle Dave Offline

I didn't mean to suggest that only pros should have pro gear. Not by a long shot. I know plenty of so called "pros" that should not be in the business at all.

My only real point is that kids are not taking the time to really learn how to play the instruments, if most of the work is done for them. I think there is a lot of positive value in the "attraction" to the instrument, and I personally would rather run scales on a diferent sound than an acoustic piano, so there are lots of variations to the approach.
I just wish more kids would take the time to really woodshed and disect the technique. It's so important, and soon - there will be no technicians in any field. There are already way too many lawyers and computer operators ... we need mechanics, plumbers and artists too. Work with the hands is essential. I fear that the automation (in ALL areas) is zapping the skill right out of our bodies. It's not about entertainment ... it's about basic survival.

I play music for my living because I am called to the job. It's a vocation as well as a quest. Not everyone is suited for the "business" end of show biz, but I thrive on it, and would be lost if the opportunity ever dissapeared.

#59125 - 07/28/02 02:53 PM Re: KN6000/6500/7000
technicsplayer Offline

An interesting philosophical viewpoint... not mutually exclusive to my point. If less kids start off, there will be less to get the bug and carry on with more serious study. If we just had pianos and no auto arrangers nowadays I feel sure there would be very many less starting, therefore many less would carry on.

As to too many lawyers, the problem is that they are all employed getting the crooks off, whereas we could use them sticking all the crooks on Wall Street in jail!

#59126 - 07/28/02 04:18 PM Re: KN6000/6500/7000
JvG Offline

Loc: Holland
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
There are already way too many lawyers and computer operators ... we need mechanics, plumbers and artists too.

There can never be too many lawyers.

Just kidding there.

Anyway, you'd be surprised how many lawyers are "artists" in their private life, wether it's painting, music, or other stuff. There are some gifted individuals out there.

I'm pretty sure you weren't implying that lawyers cannot be artistically gifted, but nonetheless...

#59127 - 07/29/02 08:36 AM Re: KN6000/6500/7000
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
Uncle Dave, I like the way you express yourself. Your remark, (a "pint by numbers" approach) reminds me of old Uncle Al, rest his soul. A pint by the numbers was his approach also. After work he would go to the local pub and his practice was to have a pint. After number one pint he would start on number two pint. Two became three pints. After maybe pint number four or pint five he would try to find his way home. After getting home this type of practice would tend to manifest itself in his playing. His playing tended to be in a more romantic vain. Poor old Aunt Minnie sometimes didn’t take very kindly to his style of romantical playing. Especially after his pint by the numbers practice. One thing would lead to another and after awhile old Uncle Al would receive a bust in the mouth from Antie. I don’t know how this had anything to do with developing his chops but he didn’t seem to mind. Once in a while he would sport a lump on his head or a black eye but paramount to actually playing, his practice of a pint by the numbers never changed to the day he died of cirrhosis of the liver. As far as scales and theory are concerned as far as I can determine, old Uncle Al’s theory was after weighing his theory of having fun against the arpeggios of life, or you might say the ups and downs of life, he chose his way. Just like Frankie used to sing, “MY WAY”. May old Unk and Antie rest in peace after enjoying life.

Uncle Dave Quote - “I am merely stating that the playing technic is being ignored at the early stages, these days, and that's not going to produce more players ... just more owners” unquote. Uncle Dave, these days are not those days when we were young. With the advent of more and more things viewing for the attention of younger people it is at this point in time imperative for music to capture it’s share. First live, then wax, wire, followed by tape, etc. and now Digital. Stored enmass mechanically and now by SD chips and the like. It seems the older folks for the most part, have a hard time with the new of the now. Always has been and most likely always will be. You say these days are not going to produce more players, just more owners. Only a few generations ago was the advent of the piano as we know it. How could you develop chops on the piano if there was none. First must come the piano before the practice. And so is it now. First more owners and then the players will follow. Some will go farther than others I admit. There must be bad players in order to make the good players stand out. When the word pro sounds good to your ears, why does it? Because pro means one gets paid for his efforts? Because that’s all he does for a living? Because he’s a better player than others? I heard a few pro’s who stink in my estimation. Did Louie A have a good singing voice? Made big bucks with it. I tend to think it all depends how one uses what they got. I got what I got, I found out to use it and it makes me some good change on the side and I have moocho fun. I believe it bugs you that guys like me go out and earn good money on the side and enjoy it without the years of laborious practice you had to go through. I can understand that. During WW2 and a short time after I used to make a lot of money plowing, disking and then harrowing victory gardens. Somebody invented the rototiller. It plowed, disked and harrowed a piece of ground in one pass. Bingo, it was done and better than I did it the old way. Everybody could afford one. I was ticked. The art of carriage making succumbed to the automobile. People still ride horses but not to the extent or purpose that it used to be. I threw out my accounting firm. Bought a five hundred dollar accounting program for my thirty five hundred dollar computer. Hooked it up to a twenty three hundred dollar laser printer and paid for the whole ball of wax in less than a year. This has added nicely to my bottom line for many years following. I canned my printing service and am doing it in house on the computer system also.

We have new music and old music side by side today. We have the old way of making music and the new way of making music side by side also. The old way of listening still exists alongside the new way today also. The old way of thinking is side by side with the new.

Before the end result must be the tools to make it. First we must get the tools in the hands of the apprentice, the one desiring to learn. How to use the tool then comes next followed by much practice of the tool. The end product then follows. The one with much practice and becomes proficient with his tools makes the best end product. The best product sells the best, and around and around she goes and where she stops nobody knows as said by old Major Bows of the amateur hour. Many kids became pros, with the help of Major Bows. I’m a poet and I don't know it. Not bad eh?

I find it very hard to take my thoughts and put them into words. Think my next project will be to invent a thinking machine. I’ll put my thinking hat on, you put your thinking hat on. Turn the thinking valve one way and my thinks will go into your thinks. Turn the valve the other way and it will reverse the flow. That idea becomes even more appealing. Dave, we will each put on our think hat. We will turn the flow in my direction. My next gig will will be a knock out. Oh Oh! The down side. How much will you charge me to let your brains flow into mine. Maybe not as much profit for me as I thought. Getting back to what I was going to say. Thoughts don’t get along very well with words. Words like to screw up what thoughts are trying to think. Thinking is trying to tell words to tell other people what thinking is thinking about. In the process, words sometimes have a mind of their own and mess everything up. Maybe that’s why when Ruthie opens her mouth and the words flow out, I ask her what in the world are you thinking about? Are you nuts or something? Ruthie likes me I know. Her words have a mind of their own and try to cause argument. After all, one of the main reasons for their existence is for argument, seems to me. As far as I am concerned, I like words. Writing down words gives me something to do. A lot of times I don’t listen to myself. Therefore at a later time reading what I said could be very entertaining to say the least. For the most part what I have to say has no real value so I substitute value for volume. Volume is valuable. It dilutes understanding. That way people don’t really understand what you are saying. Professors keep their jobs that way. They lecture for long periods of time. Students lose tract of the subject but think he really knows his stuff. I learned much from Politicians. If nothing else they know the art of using words to say nothing of the subject at hand so nobody could hold them responsible for the things they thought he was saying. Preachers the same way. I really can’t say much about them even though I changed churches 9 times. What I can say is the sermon was a great time for a nice nap. Ruthie got tired of nudging me with her elbow because she claimed I snored. This is why we read the bible at home now. Great book and great ideas. Moody says there is over five hundred varieties of christianity. Now we get the variety of the big boss. At this point I don’t remember what I was talking about besides Ruthie wants me to get ready to go over to the grand kids birthday party. After the party, got to pack a few duds and my pills because tomorrow we’re off to see Art. the three of us, Ruthie, me and my pills. Don’t laugh. It takes gas to make the car go and pills to keep me running. Some day you’ll be there.

Grandpa Doug

#59128 - 07/29/02 08:56 AM Re: KN6000/6500/7000
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
Using arrangers is more like a "pint by numbers" approach to art.

I think UD meant 'paint' by numbers', not 'pint', but then again, it certainly would take many pints of paint to cover a house.

Checkout this thread topic (Synthzone General Arrangers forum) for a discussion of playing 'music' by the numbers:
http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/004051.html

Your input & comments on that thread would be appreciated:

#59129 - 07/29/02 01:05 PM Re: KN6000/6500/7000
Uncle Dave Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Douglas Dean:
I believe it bugs you that guys like me go out and earn good money on the side and enjoy it without the years of laborious practice you had to go through.

Not at all - I don't begrudge ANYONE that makes people happy with music - no matter if it's for FREE or FEE ! The money is not always the issue, and only a small part of what determines a true "pro".

Quote:
How much will you charge me to let your brains flow into mine.

IF you've been reading my posts, you'll see that I offer my experience freely and without hesitation. I never hold back a "trade secret" or ever deny an answer to anything I can answer. I offer up as much of my soul in these sessions as I can muster up.

As far as you having trouble putting your thoughts into words...... C'Mon - I don't buy that false modesty for a sec. You're a master of words and you know it. I commented earlier that I enjoy your style of wit and writing, and that remains true.

I just don't understand the apparant feeling that I am attacking you or any other casual users. My posts have always been given with the intent to educate or entertain. I have a lot of experience in this biz, and I love to save younger players from making the same mistakes we made years ago in the trenches.

As far as playing out - go man, go. Have a ball - make the big dough, or do it for the love of art. Just keep the music flowing. That's the only real important issue here. I don't have the eye strength to read anymore "novels" about the subject, but I'll close with a paraphrase of a great writer:

"To play's the thing"

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online