SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#59109 - 07/23/02 07:51 AM Re: KN6000/6500/7000
technicsplayer Offline

Hi Peter,
I personally never came across any lock-up machines, so consequently never saw any go back for this mod you talk of. But if it was a resistor then $500 is a bit steep!

I don't understand your second point. I have never said the EW65 made them sound identical, it didn't. It gave you all the better voices and styles a lot cheaper than swapping boards. Many, including myself, changed boards because for us the total difference was worth it. Others had a further option open to them, if they chose to take it, with the upgrade card, that's all.

I think Richard has got the perfect solution playing the Wedding March, no bride could object to that serenade on the big day.

#59110 - 07/23/02 08:18 AM Re: KN6000/6500/7000
Richard Bools Offline

Alec,

Re-reading the thread I think that Peter is responding to my comment about adding an EW65 to bring a 6000 up to 6500 spec and saying that it wouldn't quite because you suspected that the 6500 internal EQ had been tweaked as well. I should originally have said 'almost' to 6500 spec! I also seem to remember that you once commented about this. Did you ever get a chance to do an A-B comparison and decide for sure?

Regards,

Richard.

#59111 - 07/23/02 12:22 PM Re: KN6000/6500/7000
technicsplayer Offline

Ah, I see what you mean about the thread now.
Yes, I had a chance to compare before I decided to swap. I found it was a lot more noticable at home in quiet surroundings playing all the songs you were used to hearing than in a noisy dealers show etc.

But the other factor was losing one slot if you filled one with ew65 card. If they had sounded identical I may have just got the card instead, but then you couldn't fit both 01 and 02 cards.
I have hooked up all sorts modules and samplers and other boards in my time, but at the end of the day it is just so convenient to have it all built in, instantly available, and instantly useable in any part when inspiration strikes, if you see what I mean. So the other cards played a part in my personal decision.

hope you get some good tunes on your big day

#59112 - 07/23/02 02:30 PM Re: KN6000/6500/7000
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
I can't believe it! All you guys out there have never noticed! I feel so sorry for you. If I had the money I would send each and every one of you a free voucher to visit the optometrist. Incredible!!!! Ted, and also all you guys out there, you have to be more creative in your thinking. Be more observant of the things around you. I know how hard it is to convince my Ruthie to buy me a new board seeing I only had the previous one a little better than a year. Also some of you guys who tend to be a little tight might have a problem departing with a few bucks. You have to psych yourselves up. Have a good talk with yourselves. Never let a few slabs of green stuff get in the way of your pleasure. Listen up and I’ll explain what I mean and how I went about it. Guys, first thing you got to do is sharpen up your eyeballs.

Ruthie, I said, you know how you always complain about me not putting the cover on my board when I’m finished playing. How it gets dusty and faded from the sun beating in through the window. How when I walk by with my blueberry biscuit and cup of coffee and inadvertently spill or get a spot on the KN on my way to my recliner? Well hon, that's all gona change. Looking at me with a weary eye she at last ventured the word, WHEN. Not blinking an eye I proceeded to explain what I had in mind. Ruthie, I said with a gusto that got her attention, right now if not sooner. After detecting a muffled sort of sound exuding deep within her lovely throat I proceeded. First of all, as soon as the store opens I’m taking this board down to get it restored to first class shape. All them coffee and beer stains that bug and embarrass you when we have company over will be gone. All that dried peanut butter from the grand kids will be taken care of. You’ll see. Believe you me, from now on a covered keyboard will be a clean keyboard. Isn’t that what I’ve been telling you all along? Ignoring that bit of sarcasm I proceed to pack the board into the car. With keyboard underarm and a spring in my step I proceeded to unload the board onto the owners desk. Well what do you think, I ventured, can you make this thing look like new? Well, I suppose we can clean this board up somewhat. I don’t think we can bring back the color in that faded area from the sun, but we can try. Oh, Oh! That deep scratch from the sequencer button drifting down to the right bottom side of the board is bad. Very bad! Very bad indeed!! Can’t you paint it, I suggested? Glancing at me above his thick black rimmed glasses he said, Hardly! While reaching up and scratching his head while sitting down in his rather nicely padded chair he invited me to do the same. Without mincing words he explained my approach to restoring it to mint condition was just not in the books. Sensing my distress he began proposing an alternate plan. If you want a nice looking piece of equipment, take the money you would spend to tidy up your board, such as it is, and upgrade the 6 to a 65. Not only will it look good but you got new rhythms and sounds to play with. I would say a man of your stature if you would add a few green ones to the old board and taking into consideration the restoration cost of the 6 you would be very happy. And happy I was. Just what I had in mind.

With my new 65 underarm, closing the door behind me, I ambled over to the now vacant stand and set the new board in it’s rightful place. Ruthie hearing the noise, came into the living room from the kitchen drying her hands along the way. With a sweeping flair of my right arm I said, well what do you think? I didn’t think it was possible she exclaimed. I knew it was dirty but not that dirty. Look how nice and silvery it is. That old dark gray is all gone. I’ll be doggone, she remarked, I don’t remember it being so nice and bright. Guess old age is got something to do with the memory cells. What in the world? I don’t believe it. Looks like you took it to the dentist. The ivory off color white of the keys is gone. So sparkling white. Almost looks like its smiling at me. Maybe you should brush your teeth more often. I heard they got a new process. Look into it. Your ivories could use a good whitening. Tell me, she said, what all did they do to it. You sure got your moneys worth. Nice job what ever they did. I’ll tell you later, I suggested, right now I would like to hear if she sounds any better. The keys of the keyboard are pure white and the color of the case is now all silver. None of you guys mentioned this but the women notice. Use these things to your advantage........

How long you got it aint everything. Money aint everything. Good looks got it’s place also. Ruthie picked me and I would like to think the latter is why she chose me. Dreaming is also very handy. When facts get in the way let dreaming take over.

From the well of Grampa Doug’s wisdom.

#59113 - 07/23/02 07:47 PM Re: KN6000/6500/7000
peter castanos Offline

Loc: sydney australia
Hi Alec and thanks Richard for clarifying my post! I never seem to have enough time nowadays to think before typing!

The resistor upgrade I mentioned was free.

I agree that the $500 upgrade Scott mentioned must be the ew65.

#59114 - 07/23/02 08:59 PM Re: KN6000/6500/7000
Ted Rose Offline

Loc: United States
Chuckle, Grandpa Doug! I loved your story but I couldn't get away with the same technique because I switched from a 5000 to a 6500 and there was no way I could convince my wife that my black 5000 was polished to a new silvery look, nor that the screen size was changed or that the buttons were moved around, etc. So, I had to admit that I had upgraded and gotten a NEW keyboard. No complaints on her part, though, because she insists my playing (such as it is) is great therapy and a whole lot less expensive in the long run that a shrink!! . I'm really thrilled with my 6500 and, as some others have said above, the 7000 will have to offer some great and truly irresistible innovations to have me switch again. Thanks, Grampa Doug, and ALL of you who have commented.

Ted Rose

#59115 - 07/24/02 07:45 PM Re: KN6000/6500/7000
Mike Daniell Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Qld, Australia
I guess we need to open up this forum to a few psychologists and/or marriage counsellors (provided they take our side!). I managed to get 'approval' for my KN7000 purchase because (a) I play my KN6000 a lot - far more than I have played any previous instrument, and (b) I told my wife the change-over price, to which she said something like 'That sounds alright'. So the next day I rang my dealer and placed the order.

Grampa Doug - since the KN7000 has a built-in keyboard cover (just close the lid) this could be a great reason to upgrade.

Mike

#59116 - 07/25/02 07:45 AM Re: KN6000/6500/7000
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
Grandpa Doug:
I loved your story. I can really identify with the part about "scratches" on the keyboard. Impeccable workmanship is a big deal with me. Before buying, I look all around the edges carefully--everywhere. If I've got to stare at a keyboard for hours, I don't want to see an imperfection every time I turn it on. How about dust or fingerprints behind the screen? Ever seen that? I had a Roland once where all the printing came off that identify the button functions. That was a nightmare.
Larry

#59117 - 07/25/02 08:29 PM Re: KN6000/6500/7000
Arthur R. Jacobs Offline

Loc: Alma, Michigan, 48801 USA
Interesting thread folks. Concerning the new models we get around every two years, and sometimes become upset over. Remember that the manufacturers are not always happy about this either. The problem is that they are often driven to it by the compatition. If Ford comes out with some new great feature, then all other car makers feel compeled to bring out new models with this same great feature on their cars, even though they had not planned on it, and actually wished they did not need to do it, due to market conditions, union trouble, or many other factors. Cash flow is another reason to introduce new models, and there are many other reasons too. We should not always fault the company for doing it, because sometimes in order to keep up they have to do it, Cheers ARJ

#59118 - 07/25/02 09:11 PM Re: KN6000/6500/7000
Ted Rose Offline

Loc: United States
Hello again everyone! I had no idea how many responses--both here on the Forum and private e-mails--my brief comment would elicit. But I have truly enjoyed reading all of them and appreciate the time you all took to respond. Although I am devoted to my 6500 (which I have had for only a couple of years now), I must admit I am getting more and more excited about the 7000. If I can get a proper trade-in price from the only dealer in my area, perhaps I may even succumb! But I will wait until after many of you have gotten your new keyboards and can objectively (and subjectively) give your reactions and critiques. I don't know when the 7000 will be available here in the U.S. and specifically in the midwest,but I hope it will be soon! Again, thank you all for posting and writing. You are true friends!

Ted Rose
KN6500 junkie!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online