SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#59076 - 10/15/02 08:48 PM Has anyone applied photo's yet ?
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
I am curios to know if anyone has used a digital picture with a sequence or style ?

Digital photo of your group name ?

Play a wedding and have digital pictures of the bride and growm all in real time on your display while you play a certain song !

Show images of the bride growing up as a child when you play Daddy's Little Girl !

Any other applications? dano

#59077 - 10/16/02 01:39 AM Re: Has anyone applied photo's yet ?
technicsplayer Offline

input the music score.

#59078 - 10/16/02 02:44 AM Re: Has anyone applied photo's yet ?
waterschip Offline

Loc: Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by technicsplayer:
input the music score.

And when it is a long peace of music? Does the sequencer do the move to a next picture?
If so and you don't want to play along with a sequencer but only say with apc there is only one picture possible?

rgds.
Wim
Wim

#59079 - 10/16/02 06:37 AM Re: Has anyone applied photo's yet ?
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Pictures can only be inserted into a sequenced recording. This is normally done after recording the sequence, by using the 'Step Record' editing procedure and defining in the Control Track, the points at which you wish the slide to appear. The procedure is reasonably well described in the User Manual Page 77. Alternatively, if you do not want to record a musical sequence, just enter the sequencer 'Step record' procedure, and follow the instructions in the User Manual, ignoring step 1. I suggest you start with the built-in images to get the hang of the procedure and then when you are familiar with the procedure, you can become more ambitious and add your own digital images.
I found the best format to use is JPEG with moderate compression, with a file size not greater than about 20 Kbyte.There is little, if anything to be gained, by using a larger file size, with less compression.
You do need to be able to determine the Pixel sizes for Horizontal and Vertical resolution, in you photo editing program, and they should not exceed 640(H) x 480(V), otherwise the KN7000 will not load them. The actual aspect ratio used on the display, is 640 x 240 pixels, so if you load an image with a vertical pixel count greater than 240, it will be cropped in one of three ways, depending on your choice : Top only, Bottom only, or evenly Top and Bottom extracting the Middle area. It is probably a good idea to format your picture to 640 x 240 pixels in your photo editing program before transferring the image to floppy disc. That way, you should be able to see the actual image, without any further cropping being applied by the KN7000.
The colour rendering on the slides, is I believe, only 8 bit (256 colours), therefore the images will not look as good as they do on your PC screen, if the latter is set to a better resolution - usually 16 or 24 bit. This results in gently changing colours, like sky/clouds being displayed with step changes rather than smooth transitions.
There is also a tutorial on Slide Shows, on the Technics KN7000 web site.
Slide changes take effect at the points in the sequence, defined by you, during the 'Step editing' process. The currently displayed slide remains on the screen until either a new slide command occurs, or the sequencer encounters the 'END' command. The slide will also disappear, if the sequencer is manually stopped.
As far as immediately playing slides from digital pictures taken during a wedding Gig, this would only be practical, if the camera uses SD cards and the resolution was set to 640 x 480. Otherwise, you would need to have access to a PC to download the images from the camera. I doubt if you could interface the camera directly to the KN7000 to download.

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#59080 - 10/16/02 07:15 AM Re: Has anyone applied photo's yet ?
cees Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Hi Dano and Wim,
I've just posted a new topic, thereafter I read your post. As an example you can give the topic ('Playing the K7 without sheetmusic??') a try ?? And don't forget the magnificent 'Manhattan Slideshow' from Alec and WThenau...
Greetings
Cees

[This message has been edited by cees (edited 10-16-2002).]

#59081 - 10/16/02 07:33 PM Re: Has anyone applied photo's yet ?
Mike Daniell Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Qld, Australia
That's an excellent description of how to use the picture facility, Willum. A few comments from my experience of loading images: firstly the limited colour range makes close-ups of people unusable. Seeing step changes in skin tones on your beloved's face detracts from the novelty of the display. This would also apply to the 'bride and groom' scenario. Secondly(and this is no reflection on Technics), niether of the image manipulation programs I have on my PC enable me easily to create a mask of a specified size (eg 640 x 240) so cropping the image I found quite tedious. Does anyone have a program that provides better functionality for cropping? Finally, I was disappointed that the image displayed on my TV didn't use the full width, but probably about 3/4 of the TV screen width. This is a standard screen not wide-screen.

I ran a demo on the family and some friends recently, which was quite successful. I used the built-in city images plus a few town images to accompany my playing of 'New York, New York'. I had originally intended to play something else and use family pictures, but the skin tone problem made me change my mind. I notice that there are no people close-ups in the built-in images.

Mike

#59082 - 10/17/02 01:03 AM Re: Has anyone applied photo's yet ?
manorcourt1991 Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
One of the most useful PC graphics programs I find for this sort of thing is Ulead's IphotoPlus 4. It has been around for quite a few years now and was often distributed packaged with scanners. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of Photoshop or Ulead's own PhotoImpact but it is very simple to use and provides all the image manipulation you are likely to need for the KN slides. I crop the picture to an aspect ratio of approx 2.66:1 and then expand/reduce it to approx 640 X 240 (e.g 640X257)and then paste it on to a blank new image of exactly 640 x240. In this case you will lose 17 pixels in the vertical direction but you can adjust the image on the sheet so that you are not losing something particularly significant.

Cheers

Len C.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online