SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#58686 - 04/06/05 03:59 AM MIDI and the KN7000 Expression Pedal
manorcourt1991 Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Hi All,

One configuration in which I use the KN7000 is as a controller keyboard to control software organs running on my PC (Miditzer and Native Instruments B4 in particular). Both of these have provision for expression or swell control using control change parameter 11. From the MIDI information in the KN7000 Reference Guide it would appear that the expression pedal information should be transmitted.
I have tried many combinations of MIDI settings on the KN7000 but can get no expression response from either program, both of which respond to note information from the KN7000. Expression is set to ON in the Control Messages menu.
When I use an alternative controller, both programs and also the KN7000 respond to its expression pedal.
Any ideas?
Len C.

#58687 - 04/07/05 08:41 PM Re: MIDI and the KN7000 Expression Pedal
manorcourt1991 Offline

Further experiments throw a little more light on the problem.
If in the Foot Controllers menu I set the expression control to Part Expression rather than Total Expression, the expression pedal will then control the software organs running on the PC.
This takes me back to a previously encountered problem. I also use the KN7000 as a full organ by means of an additional 61 note MIDI controller keyboard and 30 note MIDI pedal board connected to the KN7000 MIDI input via a MIDI merge unit.
In this situation I normally assign Right 1 and 2 parts across the whole KN7000 keyboard, Left to the additional controller keyboard and the pedals to part 15.
In part expression mode the KN7000 expression pedal still controls right and left parts OK but has no effect on part 15. Whilst actually in the set up menu for part 15 it appears to respond as expected when the expression pedal is toggled on or off but as soon as the menu is exited it reverts to the off mode.
In summary it would appear that in Total Expression mode KN7000 expression pedal information cannot be transmitted to an external MIDI device and in Part Expression mode, the KN7000 expression pedal information cannot be applied to parts other than Right 1, Right 2 or Left where the note information is being supplied by an external MIDI controller.
Is this the way it was intended or does this indicate a software bug in this area?

Len C.

#58688 - 04/08/05 05:02 PM Re: MIDI and the KN7000 Expression Pedal
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Have you tried using the DATA PROTECTION? In case you don't know about this, press and hold the CUSTOMIZE button until the screen changes and you will see Data Protection.
Press this button where you will see "Foot Controllers Setting" see if it is ON or OFF.
Maybe at channel 15, this is switched the wrong way for your needs.

Aud (U.K.)

#58689 - 04/08/05 10:08 PM Re: MIDI and the KN7000 Expression Pedal
manorcourt1991 Offline

Hi Audrey,

Thanks for the thought. Didn't solve the problem but was worth a try as I learned a little about the Data Protection facility. It isn't an area I have really delved into before. I guess this problem probably needs the expertise of the oracle, Alec, but I don't know how frequently he looks in here these days.

Cheers
Len C.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online