SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#58352 - 12/12/02 01:01 AM Re: How Do You?????
Chuck Piper Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi Everyone!

What a strange "kettle of fish" this thread has turned out be. Do you think maybe we have the "cart before the horse"? Did somebody forget to "close the barn door" at the beginning of the thread, thus preventing us from "getting our act together"? Just thought I would throw in a few more "...isms" for consideration this morning, whether they be American or British.

Tradin' a bench for a rockin' chair Doug? Hope you remember to put a thick pillow on that bench and have Ruthie standin' behind for back support! We septuagenarians need all the help we can get. Right?

Ya'll "take it easy". Oops. There is another one of those crazy "...isms". How did that get in there? Maybe that's just the way we talk?

Have a Good Morning and Top of the Morning to all of you.

Chuck

#58353 - 12/12/02 02:35 AM Re: How Do You?????
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
"Next for Doug's education,who is going to explain the English game of "Cricket" ? That should keep the thread going until next Independence Day."

Hi Derek, I heard something on the radio the other day that really shook me to the core...... Cricket was invented by the FRENCH !! As If...
As to explaining ball games - what about American Football ???? Is this another ..ism?

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#58354 - 12/12/02 02:47 AM Re: How Do You?????
waterschip Offline

Loc: Amsterdam, the Netherlands
QOUTE
"Don't you know that Independance Day celebrates you lot stealing your country from us English "

To make history complete. Remember before that a part of it was stolen by the English from the Dutch.

rgds.
Willem

#58355 - 12/12/02 07:34 AM Re: How Do You?????
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
I'm getting a headache.

Poetry-
I'm going to my seven to be in heaven
I'm singing a song, so I can't go wrong
I love my wife, so I have a good life
So I'll see you later. Alligator.

Grandpa Doug

#58356 - 12/12/02 09:46 AM Re: How Do You?????
Chuck Piper Offline

Grandpa Doug:

You are indeed a poet
Because your feet show it
(They're Longfellows)

I apologize for the corny poem. I thought it was funny when I was a kid.

Willum:

American football is for real - not an "ism". It is probably the most complex athletic game ever devised. There are not only two teams of players on the field of play, but supporting teams of strategists who plan offenses that will defeat opposing defenses, and other strategists planning defenses that will foil offenses. A full explanation of the game is beyond the scope of this forum. One interesting fact is that 99% of American professional football players have a university degree and that is unique in the world of sport I believe.

Now, cricket? I, too, read that the French created the game originally. How interesting, and what a surprise!

Willem:

I see you have a restaurant in Amsterdam in addition to being an owner/player of a KN6000. I was stationed at Camp Nieuw Amsterdam near Zeist for four years in the 60's. We used to go to Amsterdam for a meal and to enjoy the canal/harbor boat tours in the summer. To this day I still love and miss Loempia and Sate. Great stuff! You are in a beautiful country and city, and living among some of the nicest people in the world.

As far as history is concerned, you are correct up to a point concerning our Independence Day. However, we have to be fair and say that the Spanish, English, French, and Dutch took the country away from the native American Indian - and that isn't the end of the story of conquerers. People migrated from Siberia some fifteen thousand years ago according to archeologists. Who did those Siberian migrants conquer if the country was populated at that time? I don't have an answer to that question.

We aren't talking much about music but we sure are talking a lot, aren't we? Oh well - why not?

Take Care All, Chuck

#58357 - 12/12/02 11:00 AM Re: How Do You?????
Douglas Dean Offline

Don’t know if you noticed but the last line in my poem is an Americanism.
Chuck, Your a poet and you don’t know it! So there!
I wish my feet were longfellows. Size 5 1/2.
Football? Plan offenses? Defense strategies? Tell that to the Chicago Bears!!!
Why are you hanging another one on old Grandpa Doug? Loempia and Sate? Is that something you eat? Maybe drink? Or is that something you went to see? You guys floor me! If it’s something to eat I hope it’s not like when I got suckered into going to a Leudfisk dinner. Soak that poor fish in lye for a couple of weeks, wring it out and call it food? Sounds like something my mother-in-law would conjure up. Worst stuff I ever slid between my lips.
If it is a drink I hope it’s not like a painter friend gave me a couple of years ago. Come over to my house he said. Im having a lot of guys over for a little holiday get together. Bring the wife, I just made a fresh batch of Glug and we’ll have some fun. Bring your musical maker thing and we’ll cut a little rug. One hot Glug. Two hot Glugs. Three hot glugs. Fo sot, burp, glup! I did not find my head for three days.

Quote; “We aren't talking much about music but we sure are talking a lot, aren't we? Oh well - why not”? As long as were on the subject of talking a lot, how about talking a little about the Christmas present Alec just gave us? Nice stuff Alec. Thanks a lot and a Merry Christmas to you also.

Grandpa Doug

#58358 - 12/12/02 11:25 AM Re: How Do You?????
Douglas Dean Offline

Misspelled Alec. Should be Alex. Alex Green. By the way, anybody else who would like to cheer us up with a song? I will be willing to whip one up after three more of you guys come across. You guys are not bashfull with your mouth. Let's hear a little from your fingers!

Grandpa Doug

#58359 - 12/12/02 12:08 PM Re: How Do You?????
Chuck Piper Offline

Hi Again Grandpa,

This is turning into an academically educational thread rather than educational in a musical sense, but so be it. What is Loempia and Sate? Food. Loempia is very similar to Chinese spring rolls but much larger, juicier, and far better tasting. Sate is bite size pieces of cooked pork or beef with toothpicks imbedded in them (so you can pick them up) served in a very tasty peanut sauce. Wish I could jump on a plane here in Manchester right now and head for Amsterdam so I could fill my tummy with that great stuff. I've sampled a lot of foreign foods in my 52 years of travelling around the world, most of which I didn't enjoy. But Loempia and Sate are two of my favorites.

Yes, the Chicago Bears need a lot of help at the skill positions (quarterback, running back, wide receiver primarily). American football is televised here. Saw four games last weekend including the Monday Night Miami/Chicago game. Their #1 and #2 quarterbacks (Miller and Chandler) don't have it anymore - quite obviously. Maybe next year will be better for the team if they draft some good talent.

That's it from me for the time being. Gotta get back to my KN and drift off into my world of music. Ah yes!

Take Care, Chuck

[This message has been edited by Chuck Piper (edited 12-12-2002).]

#58360 - 12/13/02 07:51 AM Re: How Do You?????
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
I for one can not figure out the Euros love of Soccer. What is the point of running east and west for a few hours with nothing happening in between? Here is an idea...How about scoring once in a while! We Americans love action and scoring. Real Football is American style where the teams actually put points on the board. Soccer will NEVER be a major sport in the States because it is BORING !

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#58361 - 12/13/02 11:09 AM Re: How Do You?????
Chuck Piper Offline

Hi Iahawk,

Once again I feel compelled to respond to a post in this thread to hopefully add some balance to the commentary. Here is some food for thought. Consider for a moment where you were born and raised. Until the advent of the NFL Europe league a few years ago, American-style football was played exclusively in America. Soccer - "Football" to the rest of the world - was played just about globally, and still is. So people around the world were playing football long before the American-style game was invented. You like American football and I love it. But I can see why people all over the world prefer soccer. It is the only football game they have known for centuries. And you can't argue with success, fame, or ubiquity because all three qualities apply to soccer. Some of the richest football clubs in the world are soccer clubs. The most famous football players around the world are soccer players - not American football players. And as far as ubiquity is concerned, American football is played in the U.S., Scotland, Holland, Germany, and Spain - five countries. Soccer is played in more the one hundred fifty countries. The only true World Football Championship is the World Cup, not the Super Bowl, and the game is soccer, not American football.

I agree with you that American football has a lot more scoring usually, but that is primarily because we award 6 points for a touchdown, 3 points for a field goal, 2 points for a safety, and 1 point for the kick conversion after a touchdown. If a team succeeds in achieving a touchdown, field goal, safety, and point after, it is winning 12 - 0. In reality the team only scored four ways (four times) so the score could be 4 - 0 ( without the multiplicative effect of multiple points awarded for a score), which is a very respectable soccer result.

At the end of the day, Americans prefer American-style football because they grew up with it, and the rest of the people in our world prefer soccer because that is what they grew up with. Simple!

Gotta run and play my KN.

Take care Iahawk. I know where you are coming from and I respect your viewpoint.

Best Regards, Chuck

[This message has been edited by Chuck Piper (edited 12-13-2002).]

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online