SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#58342 - 12/10/02 03:33 PM Re: How Do You?????
rdr Offline

Loc: PA US
I'm a pinochle buff, having played it for years. First learned in while in the service. There's a link to a site on my website that has a free download of the game. Page down to the bottom of the third column and look for the queen of spades and jack of diamonds http://www.charterpa.net/rdross/

Dave Ross

#58343 - 12/10/02 03:44 PM Re: How Do You?????
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Thanks for the explanations guys, Hope you all have a great Christmas and New Year.

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#58344 - 12/10/02 06:55 PM Re: How Do You?????
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
Ya know Willum? That’s one heck of a good question. That’s a card game, we have played all of my life. When I was in the Navy, floating around the north and south pacific for a few years we played that game almost every day. I have said that word a million times but I believe this is the first time I ever spelled and wrote that word. Strange now that you bring it up. I really don’t know if pinocle is spelled penocle, piknockle, peenuckle, oh rats, I give up. Sometimes I think they should teach you Brits the english language over there. In fact, there is a lot of things you do over there I don't really dig. You, for instance, dress up your cars. You drive them around all decked out with boots and bonnets I understand. Very proper, indeed. As long as were on the subject of what is what, I understand what ‘an Americanism’ means’ but what in world are you when you say you might be ‘just higgorant’. Higgorant?

No sense of me explaining the game any further. Chuck and the guys got it pretty well nailed down.

Higgorant??

Grandpa Doug

#58345 - 12/11/02 12:48 AM Re: How Do You?????
Chuck Piper Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
My Dear Grandpa Doug,

I'm a transplanted Yank living in Britain and I am going to come to the defense of my British friends. Not that my British friends need defending. They are quite formidable defenders in their own right. But perhaps they will allow me to intercede on their behalf just once.

In truth, Americans speak a version of the English language. The purest form of the language is spoken here in the UK. We Americans have added to or modified the language to meet our needs throughout our history (and the same is true of any English speaking country including the UK). The advent of technology generated thousands of new words like "transistor" for example, so the language continues to be adapted to meet our ever changing needs to communicate.

Now, here is a very interesting fact. There is a period in British history when three languages were in use in this country. Monarchs and the upper classes spoke French, the clergy and legal profession wrote in Latin, and the common man spoke an early version of English.

So you see Grandpa, the British people of today speak an inherited form of English just as Americans of today do - forms that have changed dramatically over the centuries, and over which none of us had any control. I think bonnet and hood, boot and trunk, are cool words and I use the appropriate words depending on which country I am in at the time.

Wow! This thread has taken a huge detour from your original post, Grandpa. Hope you don't mind. Guess I just needed to chat to someone and forum members are my victims on this very cold morning in the UK.

Oh, and by the way, Bill - what the heck is Higgorant? You lost me there! Ha Ha.

Cheers to All, Chuck

#58346 - 12/11/02 04:04 AM Re: How Do You?????
ALAN MAXEY Offline

Loc: U.K.
I read this statement some years ago:-
England and America...two countries separated
by a common language!!

[This message has been edited by ALAN MAXEY (edited 12-11-2002).]

#58347 - 12/11/02 07:59 AM Re: How Do You?????
Douglas Dean Offline

Chuck, I don’t mind one little bit where this thread goes. I would leap for joy if every thread had a bit of humor thrown in. The way I look at it music makes you smile and warms your heart. Whether it radiates from your mouth or your fingers. Offering help on this forum also brings happiness and a nice feeling to the recipient. And a bit of humor turns the ends of the lips a little towards heaven and makes the tummy vibrate a tad. I like humor in all it;s forms. I like dry humor. I like wet humor. Wet? Ya! The kind that makes water roll out of the eyeballs.

Chuck, you can bend my ear, (an Americanism meaning chat) anytime you feel the need to bend someone's ear. Thanks for the history lesson. And Alan, I like the ring of that statement. A very nice way of putting it. Maybe you guys can clear something else up. I live in America and am called an American. You live in England and are call Brits. Why not Englishman?

About Higgorant! Old Grandpa mispeled pignuckle. Bill, in jest of my misspelling, mispeled igorant. I love that British humor! Bully, eh Bill?

Grandpa Doug

#58348 - 12/11/02 02:58 PM Re: How Do You?????
Brian Goodison Offline

Loc: Bridlington. East Yorkshire.En...
Hi Doug.
for you "colonials", here follows a short history lesson of your mother country.ie England

1. GB.Great Britain is not a country, it is made up of three countries. IE. England. Scotland and Wales. Thats why say in the Olympics we are entered as "Great Britain and Northern Ireland"

2. UK. The United Kingdom is not a country , I beleive it was formed in 1921 and it is made up of four countries ie England.Scotland.Wales and Northern Ireland

An Englishman is not refered to as a Brit in the UK but as English, a Scotsman as Scottish ( not Scotch as that is a drink), a Welshman as Welsh and Irishman as Irish . I suppose its the same over at your end IE a man from Texas is, I beleive a "Texan" and so on.
Don't you know that Independance Day celebrates you lot stealing your country from us English

Now get back to playing your keyboard and be a good boy. Otherwise you might have to play "God Save The Queen" everytime you stand up.

All the best for Christmas and The New Year
to you all

Regards

Brian

#58349 - 12/11/02 02:58 PM Re: How Do You?????
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hey there Gramps! Spot On For Higgorant read Ignorant.
Now, about how we refer to ourselves. What you have to remember is that Britain is divided into four countries and some of us are extremely loyal to our individual Flags. So, collectively we are known as British but individually English, Scottish, Irish or Welsh. The latter three sometimes get very upset if they are just generally referred to as 'English'
I'm a bit of a Hybrid since I was born in Scotland but have lived (in exile) for nearly forty years in England so I suppose I have dual nationality
One tip - Never refer to a Glaswegian (native of Glasgow) as an Engishman - especially on a Saturday night when the pubs are chucking out - Not unless you want some extensive, rapid nose reconstruction

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#58350 - 12/11/02 04:28 PM Re: How Do You?????
Derek Ladkin Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Goodison:
Hi Doug.

"An Englishman is not refered to as a Brit in the UK but as English, a Scotsman as Scottish ( not Scotch as that is a drink), a Welshman as Welsh and Irishman as Irish .

Regards

Brian "

Hi Doug,
Then again: a Scotsman is a "Jock"
a Welshman is a "Taff"
an Irishman is a "Paddy"
We Englishmen are a whole mixture of "Cockneys,Scouses,Brummies,Geordies,Canaries,Woolly Backs......" depending on which City,Town or County we come from.

Next for Doug's education,who is going to explain the English game of "Cricket" ? That should keep the thread going until next Independence Day.

Derek

#58351 - 12/11/02 07:21 PM Re: How Do You?????
Douglas Dean Offline

I’m going to start off with another Americanism.

You guys got me SNOWED! I give up! I got all the Hinglish lessons I can stand. I thought I could talk! Man, you guys make me look like a piker. (Another Americanism) A game? I thought a Cricket was a bug. I think you guys are ganging up on me and Pulling My Leg. (Another Americanism) I have just devised a plan. I am running this whole thread through my printer. Taking the pages and presenting them to Ruthie in book form, she will digest everything and explain it to me in simple english. Meanwhile I’m going to pull up my favorite chair in front of the 7 and practice for the Christmas party I must play. Come to think about it, I have got to start weaning myself of that habit. That nice comfortable old rocking chair with the great back on it. Really feels good. The one problem I’m having of late is I kind of nod off after a few songs. Hard to keep focus on what your doing. So, starting this evening, out comes the bench and (sob) away goes the comfort, back into the other room. So off goes Grandpa and we’ll see ya-all later. (a southern Americanism).

Grandpa Doug

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online