SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#5804 - 04/30/03 03:25 AM Re: best and worst performances!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Jiddu:
Our drummer's sister jumped on stage and threw a jug of beer all over the guitarist and screwed his les paul.

Jiddu,

You mean she short circuited the Les Paul right?

[This message has been edited by Morphamatik (edited 04-30-2003).]

#5805 - 04/30/03 08:33 AM Re: best and worst performances!!
Leon Offline

Loc: British Columbia
Our old band "Fear of Success" was Playing one night in "Steamers" in Victoria. Normally we would mix our own sound on stage and pain-stakingly get it just right for the room. Well this place insisted on us using their soundman, I think his nickname was "Mr. Reverb", or at least it should have been. This clown couldn't mix drinks...let alone sound, if his life depended on it. Full reverb coming through the monitors, we're hearing the same lyric line 4 or 5 times, the room had all the acoustics of a garden shed. We complained to the management at the first break, to no avail. Never went back there again, never would, never will. As far as I know, Mr. Reverb is still there messin' up everyones sound.

#5806 - 04/30/03 03:46 PM Re: best and worst performances!!
rattley Offline

Loc: Punta Gorda Florida USA
Thanks for sharing that wonderful story Morphamatik.............Everyone deserves a moment in the spotlight to shine. I'm glad you got yours and shared it here. Stories like that provide inspiration for me. Thanks to everyone who responded to this post. No doubt Morphamatik gets the prize for the "Best".................who gets the booby prize for "worst"?

#5807 - 04/30/03 08:18 PM Re: best and worst performances!!
TheSonicEnergyAuthority Offline

Loc: Peterborough,Cambridgeshire,UK
Leon..

You said you could hear the same lyric in the monitors 4 times, well that ain't reverb pal, that's delay.
Some vocalist do like a tad of reverb in the monitors. The guy should have asked.

Did you get a 'soundcheck'? - I'm guess no..

What are 'acoustics of a garden shed'?

As you might have guessed I do a bit of FOH sound, what you hear on stage ain't what the people hear....

Does sound as if it's a place to avoid!

------------------
The Sonic Energy Authority - a sound investment

#5808 - 05/01/03 08:34 AM Re: best and worst performances!!
Leon Offline

..Sonic... poor choice of words, when I said reverb. Did we run a sound check..Duh..No we just guessed what the room would sound like when we drove up....Whatta yoo think...pal!!
These little "surprises" were fed to us after we started playing.

What are the acoustics of a garden shed?? Sh***y.

Also, 3 of us were wireless, so we did get down onto the floor at times and believe me...it was horrible. But it's all water under the bridge now as the band has since folded, we've all gotten into other endeavours. Thanx for your critique no matter how uninformed it might be. Ouch...did I hit a nerve??.....pal!!

tsk...rookies

Nigel...sorry about the *** but sometimes that's the only way you can descibe these joints.

[This message has been edited by Leon (edited 05-01-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Leon (edited 05-01-2003).]

#5809 - 05/01/03 04:49 PM Re: best and worst performances!!
TheSonicEnergyAuthority Offline

Loc: Peterborough,Cambridgeshire,UK
Did we run a sound check..Duh..No we just guessed what the room would sound like when we drove up....Whatta yoo think...pal!!

Hey - I just asked, as you know, you don't always get the chance.

These little "surprises" were fed to us after we started playing.

Well, in that case, I can understand your feelings to the guy.

What are the acoustics of a garden shed?? Sh***y.

Ok, I was thinking more on the lines of "The accoustics of a garden shed" = tight, no reverb.
Then you've got your toliets of course.
Not forgetting your typical aircraft hangers - boy they're really fun to play

Also, 3 of us were wireless, so we did get down onto the floor at times and believe me...it was horrible.

We do, we do!

Thanx for your critique no matter how uninformed it might be. Ouch...did I hit a nerve??.....pal!!

Should I be putting on a fire proof suit?

tsk...rookies

I guess so....

Loen, accept me humblest appoglies for showing an interest on your grief, it was something you have carried with you for some time, and it looks as if getting it off your chest hasn't helpped.

I will go back under the rock from where I came, and bother you, and the others that might be reading this, no more about this subject.

I'm so, so, sorry.

#5810 - 05/02/03 08:32 AM Re: best and worst performances!!
Leon Offline

No apologies necessary Sonic....just the term "pal" has always been a sore spot with me. Please accept my apologies for raggin' on ya. And as a matter of fact, yes I have done a gig in a hanger. The best thing about the gig was that we were set up on the wings of a Mars water bomber. They had rubber matting laid down so we weren't slip sliding all over the place. It was a little hairy to say the least, and as you can well imagine...the sound....literally "In Your Face". I may have some pics somewhere, if I can find them. I'll have to scan them if I do find them as it was back before the days of digital imagery.
...peace..

#5811 - 05/04/03 02:41 PM Re: best and worst performances!!
aj Offline

Loc: new zealand
hmmm worst moment is a tie between
a)playin a song with a long keyboard intro and the band all comes in at once except the bass player who had tuned down for the last number 'forgot' to tune up ahhh a semitone out ... not pretty had to actually stop playing :-( I can laugh about it now and
b)filling in for our vocalist cause he was late at a corporate function pacing round the stage trying to be 'dynamic' ,tripping over a mic cable and landing head first into the drum kit ,every single person (including the guys in the band) stopped and laughed (except me)

#5812 - 05/05/03 08:38 AM Re: best and worst performances!!
Leon Offline

...Ouch...!!

#5813 - 05/05/03 03:51 PM Re: best and worst performances!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

rattley,

Not meaning to dampen that sprite of inspiration, but I did not mention the money it cost me on the bottom line. No notice flights & hotels, car, food, I still drank then (although I've never really been much of a drinker)so add on a few bar tabs...concl.: it was expensive

Hey here's a good one:

Ann Landers says in her columb that:
If you have sex three or more times a day, you're sick and should seek professional help.
Well I got news for Ann Landers, There's no way I could even get sex three times a day unless I do seek professional help!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online