SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#5794 - 04/18/03 08:14 PM best and worst performances!!
rattley Offline

Loc: Punta Gorda Florida USA
I would love to here about everyone's best and worst performances!! All the juicy details PLEASE!!

Thanks again -charley

#5795 - 04/20/03 11:02 AM Re: best and worst performances!!
Pilot Offline

Loc: Ontario,Canada
I was playing my new PSR740 for the Xmas party at the local skating rink. Ionly had it for 2 weeks and was still finding my way around it. The lighting was bad and I while I could play the tunes OK, I couldn't see all the buttons for selecting voices, styles etc. Also the cables I had were too short and I had difficulty in hooking it up to the PA system. If that wasn't bad enough, half a dozen keyboard players came out of the woodwork to talk to me. Funnily enough I was able to keep playing while having a half dozen conversations.

Another time I played the piano at a concert and in shifting the piano on to the stage they managed to disconnect the pedals. That was a dry performance!

Bryan

#5796 - 04/24/03 06:31 PM Re: best and worst performances!!
Equalizer Offline

Loc: Scotland
Just thought of a mega low point!

I went busking a few years ago at a shopping centre.

I thought it was going quite well and eventually, this rich looking guy with a suit turned up and stood right in front of me, apprarently giving me his full and undivided attention.

Sure enough, after there was a gap in the songs the smart dressed guy walked up to me and just as I was prepairing to sign the record contract of my dreams he said to me;

"I work in the bank across the road and if you don't stop playing I'm calling the police!".

[This message has been edited by Equalizer (edited 04-25-2003).]

#5797 - 04/24/03 07:58 PM Re: best and worst performances!!
Jiddu Offline

Loc: Australia
hehe i like the busking one eq

i havent gigged that much but starting to up the load so I guess the worst is yet to come.

#5798 - 04/24/03 08:23 PM Re: best and worst performances!!
Cloakboy Offline

Loc: Racine, Wisconsin USA
Best: High school battle of the bands. Me in a skanky prom dress and spider web stockings, my bass player at the time in a bunny suit, our poet/singer punked the **** out. Sword fighting with crutches, junk percussion, audience participation... plus the Lynyrd Skynyrd/Led Zepplin loving judges HATED us.

Worst: number 1: last summer we played a show in an American Legion Hall. The guy before us was a skinny white nerd rapper who plugged a discman into the PA system for his beats. For his grand finale he threw a cream pie ****ing everywhere and it got all over my synth (Ensoniq Fizmo - discontinued) and my computer. I eventually had to just throw out the floppy drive, but that only cost $5. Still, everytime I see him I start a fight with him over that.

number 2: A Punk-nic picnic where the bands played in the basement of someone's house. Our set went okay, but the PA amp would just die when things got too loud. Only cut out on us once, but later on there was a shitty punk band called Death and Taxes. After the amp cut out on them a few times, the singer starting banging MY microphone, which I had lent to the cause, on the cement floor. Then he stuck it down his pants and it still smells like crotch.

Later found out from a friend that the guy is an ex-heroin addict, still does a lot of other lesser drugs, who is known for being a crazy ****.

#5799 - 04/26/03 07:19 AM Re: best and worst performances!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Best and worst huh...
Well the worst for sure was when a bunch of us local musicians played the Irvine Bowl and the house wiring was screwed up somewhere in the lighting system and was tripping a 100 amp breaker on the main panel. They called an electrician who fixed it quickly. Too quickly. Our first song the playing was horrible because everybody was "half faking it" while we were all looking around because we could smell something electrical burning very prominent. 30 seconds into the song all the power dimmed and then this really LOUD "-POOF-", the stage was pitch black and you could see the flames coming out of the vents of the stages subpanel. The staff there opened the panel door and was hitting the panel with fire exinguishers like a firing squad while these sparks are flying. I told this huge security guy to check and make sure the main panel is shut down or the place could burn up. That it turned out was my entertainment! He made his way through people like a human plow. You could tell the moment he cut the power because the emergency lights went on and the sparks stopped. That night truly stunk.
Best ever was the summer before last, but youall would never believe it if I told you, so forget it.

#5800 - 04/26/03 01:56 PM Re: best and worst performances!!
Cloakboy Offline

Loc: Racine, Wisconsin USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Morphamatik:
Best ever was the summer before last, but youall would never believe it if I told you, so forget it.

Is it anything like the old Onion story, "Bass Player Fellated?"

#5801 - 04/26/03 02:52 PM Re: best and worst performances!!
rattley Offline

Loc: Punta Gorda Florida USA
PLEASE!!!!!!!

Do tell..............................

#5802 - 04/27/03 12:02 AM Re: best and worst performances!!
Jiddu Offline

Loc: Australia
We went to this gig to scope a percussionist for our group and after he played on came some metal band and bagged this other band (the one with our future drummer in it) over the mic.

Our drummer's sister jumped on stage and threw a jug of beer all over the guitarist and screwed his les paul.

#5803 - 04/30/03 03:12 AM Re: best and worst performances!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

OK rattley,

You said the majic word so I will. I know that it has been a while but still to protect myself I am not doing any name dropping of people sensitive to the issue but you will know by how I will describe the main performer
A good friend of mine was once discovered by George Lynch (Lynch Mob). He is...oh man! Let's just say the guy has completely mastered the electric bass guitar. Anyway since we are friends, I got to know his material so when he was not on tour, we would rehearse after I finished my work for the day. He came back from a tour and told me that he's scheduled for a "try out" with a very popular Latino vocalist in a month. I pulled her history from the sound library, burned a CD and we began drilling. At the interview, he slam-dunked it and by a ¼ way through the second song, he was the new bassist the arranger/composer was very happy. We continued to do rehearsals every week or so. He went on tour twice. One night I got a call from him telling me the keyboardist was in the hosp. with hepetitus and alcohol poisoning. I expressed my condolences and then said, "So, you coming home?" and he said, Well I was hoping that maybe you would come here. He only needs the one night in Nassau off the day after tommorow and if we don't play it CBS might cancel the rest of the tour. There was a long pause...wait, you mean me? sub? He said, Pete you can ripp thru this easy, please! I guess it didn't take too much thought,"yeah well alright, you got me bro.". I flew that night and saw him about 7 hours later. while I was on the plane I thought about every possible thing I would need to know from the guy I was filling for. I spoke with him the next day. Thank god he had a "neat freak" setup and all the patches were setup in exact sequence as the show was to be done. All that was open was a two min solo at the near end. I went to a music store the next day and played the same Kurz, and figured out what I was going to do, played till the guy told me to take off the headphones, the store is closed.
A lot more that happened but the bottom line is we rocked that house hard and everyone said it was incredible,the best. It had the Superbowl energy they once experienced. That solo man, I dunno. I still dont think it was me. I think God took over for me those two minutes. There were people on peoples shoulders that were on peoples shoulders and the crowd was wild. Afterwards all were saying about the incredible solo I played. I didn't know what to say. I could only think the truth of it, I don't know what happened but I think God took over for me.
She looked very suprised too and asked, "How long have you been playing?" I looked at my watch and said, "Oh at least 'bout a couple hours now." To this day, I still cannot keep up and do that incredible solo work I did that night. Thank You Lord Jesus. God gave me a night to remember for a lifetime.
That's it rattley, sorry if it was a little long.

[This message has been edited by Morphamatik (edited 04-30-2003).]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online