SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#57847 - 01/26/05 04:44 PM Re: (music request) You belong to me
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi John North.
you are a source of information!!!.I think your knowledge of music history.is mind BOGGLING.
Best wishes John.
Joe

#57848 - 01/26/05 11:56 PM Re: (music request) You belong to me
Chuck Piper Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi Walter,

You say the song "You Belong To Me" was played on a troop ship as you were going through the Suez Canal in 1953. How interesting. I played that song many, many times in 1953 while undergoing training in Georgia prior to boarding a troop ship at the Brooklyn Army Terminal and heading for England. They are indeed happy memories.

Chuck

#57849 - 01/27/05 12:40 AM Re: (music request) You belong to me
Joan Offline

Loc: Hampshire U.K.
Thank you for the music score - I have Rod Stewarts modern recording of this song and he makes a very good job of singing it in his relaxed style. Jo Staffords' recording of this song sounds as good today as it did in 1952 when I used to listen to it on Radio Luxembourg. It seems like only yesterday! Its a pity my body has not lasted as well as my memory!!!

There have been some beautiful melodies over the years expressing beautiful sentiments, and hearing them played again immediately and clearly bring back to us certain memories of times gone by and important events that have happened to us in the past.

Lovely music - lovely memories - Joan

#57850 - 01/27/05 12:46 AM Re: (music request) You belong to me
Peter Lowden Offline

Loc: England
Would anyone like the Jo Stafford recording of "you belong to me" if so I can email it to them the file is about 3MB

my email is: peterloudon@wight365.net

Kind regards

Peter Loudon

#57851 - 01/27/05 02:27 AM Re: (music request) You belong to me
Walter McLaren Offline

Loc: Borders. Scotland
Hi Chuck, I remember it too well, I was seasick for 19 days. Originally posted to the Middle East, by air, was given all the necessary jabs, then 3 days later was changed to Far East, by sea. Given all the necessary jabs. From memory, 8/10 in total. I think the effects are beginning to wear off!! Happy Days. Walter.

#57852 - 01/27/05 11:37 AM Re: (music request) You belong to me
Chuck Piper Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Ah, yes, Walter! You have triggered another memory - shots as we referred to them, or jabs or injections as you refer to them. I still have my old shot record laying around in storage somewhere. Tetanus, Typhoid, Yellow Fever, Flu, and the list goes on. I retired from the Air Force 28 years ago. Hopefully the effects have worn off! On the other hand maybe some residual serum is still circulating in this old body and offering its intended protection. Who knows?

We were on board ship for 14 days (didn't get seasick thank goodness), disembarked at Bremerhaven, Germany for a couple of days, then boarded ship again and sailed to Southampton. We disembarked and boarded a bus to RAF Station Burtonwood near Warrington where I spent the next four years of my life. Wonderful memories, Walter. It is always a pleasure to recall them.

Best Wishes to You,

Chuck

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online