SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#5756 - 02/27/02 05:14 AM For the pro's-how do you start writing your song?
Nool Offline

I was wondering how do you start writing your
songs for most of the time?
I know some people say that there is no set formula for that , and its true but there's always a way that you most start with.
Is it a chord progression or a melody or..?

I'd like to hear yours.

Regards
Nool

#5757 - 02/27/02 07:30 AM Re: For the pro's-how do you start writing your song?
tekminus Offline

Mostly I think it starts with injecting heroin into your arm.

-tek

#5758 - 02/27/02 08:12 AM Re: For the pro's-how do you start writing your song?
Stalker Offline

Loc: Germany
Hi!
There has to be any idea. A chord progression or a melody, yes. Sometimes everything is based on one sound. It's different from time to time. Mostly melody.

#5759 - 02/27/02 09:17 AM Re: For the pro's-how do you start writing your song?
MRT1212 Offline

Loc: Foster City
for a lot of producer its starts with a beat...but that mostly deals with percussion intensive music genres...otherwise i say usally chord progression then melody.

#5760 - 02/27/02 10:01 AM Re: For the pro's-how do you start writing your song?
Nool Offline

Is there any example of a song that's first written in chords only?

#5761 - 02/27/02 10:14 AM Re: For the pro's-how do you start writing your song?
optinone Offline

Loc: St. Cloud, MN USA
I start with the beat.

#5762 - 02/27/02 10:37 AM Re: For the pro's-how do you start writing your song?
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by Nool:
Is there any example of a song that's first written in chords only?

All blues orientated songs start with three chords

#5763 - 02/27/02 10:40 AM Re: For the pro's-how do you start writing your song?
Chris Attison Offline

Loc: Long Island, NY.
Quote:
Originally posted by tekminus:
Mostly I think it starts with injecting heroin into your arm.

-tek

Tek, your are no pro, so stop trying to fool people. Everyone knows you shoot it under your eyelids.

#5764 - 02/27/02 10:46 AM Re: For the pro's-how do you start writing your song?
MRT1212 Offline

Loc: Foster City
chris that was a foul mental image!

#5765 - 02/27/02 11:03 AM Re: For the pro's-how do you start writing your song?
tekminus Offline

I see.

#5766 - 02/27/02 11:34 AM Re: For the pro's-how do you start writing your song?
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
You start with the lyrics!!!

First:

1) Do you have an idea? do you have a message? or you want to write anything for the sake of writing?

2) You make sure your lyrics ryhme. If they do not, you need to work hard on them...

3) you then need to make sure the phrases are rythmically balanced and well-structured.

It must read like good ol' poetry.

After that:

4) you read it several times and you embrace its ideas, words, rythem and ryhme. (better write something good, otherwise, you will be embracing something BAD and harmful to your health).

5) you set with your musical instrument and before you TOUCH the chords, you start composing the melody line. Think big, think wide and PLEASE!!!!!!!! drop that major scale.

6) then you worry about the structure of the melody, ABBA? ABCA? ABABCCC? whatever

7) then you finalize the melody line by defining the ending of phrases, beats between chorus, type of bridge...

8) FINALLY, you worry about chords or mutliple harmony parts with base and others.

Then you move from composition to arranging.... and then you worry about BEATS and what have you.

Good luck.

#5767 - 02/27/02 07:14 PM Re: For the pro's-how do you start writing your song?
Chris Attison Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by MRT1212:
chris that was a foul mental image!

heheheh, I know.

#5768 - 02/27/02 07:22 PM Re: For the pro's-how do you start writing your song?
Chris Attison Offline

Well, I for one dont say that Im a pro because we dont have a major record label backing our band like Warner Bros or Sony, just some shitty indie, but here is the way my band writes:

1. Write a catchy melody. I usually write and play it on the piano first before even thinking about synths, guitars and drums. I then also write an additional melody that will later become a "vocal melody" along with the first progression.

2. Find out which one of your catchy melodies progresses from verse to chorus. Usually a verse is between 8-16 measures and same for chorus. Sometimes I also create a prechorus.

3. Next I test what tempo(or bpm) is best for the song. How does the melody flow? Does it work well with a simple rhythm or a complex one? Create the rhythm. Dont make it constant throughout the song. Change it up alittle to accent certain parts that you want to stand out.

4. Finding which programs to use is just as important as the melody itself. After all of this is done, then comes the fun shit like real time knob turning and LFO triggers and all that other nice stuff.

5. The lyrics come last. Lose yourself in the song and see what mood it takes you.Hope this helped. But remember, what works for one person might work differently for another.

[This message has been edited by Chris Attison (edited 02-27-2002).]

#5769 - 02/28/02 12:13 AM Re: For the pro's-how do you start writing your song?
Nool Offline

Thanks for the ideas guys.
I needed a little guideline cause
i ran out of ipspiration.

More reply are always welcome

#5770 - 02/28/02 04:31 AM Re: For the pro's-how do you start writing your song?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I have a few friends that write EVERYDAY. No matter what - they NEED to put down some ideas, or the day is a wash. Some finished songs are actually "pieces" of many other little tid-bits that began as short ideas. Whatever way you do it - just don't ever discard anything, and try to record as much as possible.... even if it's just a small, handheld mini-casssette. I used to keep one in my car to get the latest songs from the radio when I was playing the top 40. It really helped to have that "edge" with repertoire. I taped the Elton John song, the day that Princess Di was buried, quickly printed the lyrics and performed the song that evening. (Luckally, I knew the music from the original song) Staying on top of the craft has many rewards, so use any suggesstions that help you create a "flow".
There are NO right order - words, chords, tune ..... just do it YOUR way, and it'll happen. Find something that works, and fine tune it. Customize it, and personalize it. It'll serve you well.
BTW - I can no longer play EITHER version of "Candle in the wind" with out mixing up the lyrics. I played it one way for 15 years, and another for 5 or 6 .... now I'm ALL messed up.
....Norma Jean....England's Rose ..... AAAGHHHH !!!!!!!!!!

#5771 - 02/28/02 06:08 AM Re: For the pro's-how do you start writing your song?
Theta Offline

Loc: Amsterdam
I start with whatever sounds cool, sometimes a nice bassline, sometimes nice chords, and later a melodie on top, or chords with drum, the most important is the bass and drum together this gives the beat, or without drums then you have synth music like Jarre. And without cocains in my vains

#5772 - 02/28/02 01:28 PM Re: For the pro's-how do you start writing your song?
dookiebot Offline

I feel music is is structural freeform.

You have to be careful with certain aspects, such as "how do you start writing a song" for example. There are many different ways to start writing a song and you should try different ways.

Thet thing with musicians is usually after creating music for awhile if they take a step back and look at themselves they will see that they have a "Rule Book" on how songs should be written, concieved, recorded, ect. and they couldn't really tell you where it came from because they sure didn't start that way.

In a lot of ways one can limit their creativity by making rules for themselves on how music can be.

#5773 - 03/01/02 12:56 PM Re: For the pro's-how do you start writing your song?
optinone Offline

Loc: St. Cloud, MN USA
Do it however it comes naturally to you.

#5774 - 03/01/02 07:29 PM Re: For the pro's-how do you start writing your song?
WS Offline

First you find a number one hit. Next, you sample it. Then you rap the words instead of singing and you have a new original that makes millions.

#5775 - 03/02/02 03:04 AM Re: For the pro's-how do you start writing your song?
Nool Offline

yes but that's because the mass
is absolutly criticless and buys everything
that is promoted enough.
I don;t listen to the top40 anymore since i was 11!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online