SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#57512 - 09/15/04 06:59 PM Re: Stops
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Bill & Tony,
just had a chance to try Bill's "stop" variation. Brilliant.

I just created a pad from it, which is quite an easy process, but it's a bit messy to use in realtime playing.

I followed Bill's earlier instructions on using the sync button to create a "stop".

Having to hit the stop button and the pad button at the same time ie your variation stop's and the pad starts playing.
Normally the pads are used to play in sync with one of the variations.
I tend to think using one of the variations or one of the fills is easier.

best wishes
Rikki

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 09-15-2004).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#57513 - 09/16/04 06:20 AM Re: Stops
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Norrie:
Hi Tony, ....You really should 'Get into' the Composer - you can have some great fun editing styles and it ain't difficult. (Project for the weekend???)...

Bill ... One of the unfortunate things about still having a full time day job is that there are sooooo many things to tend to on the weekends.... This weekend will be fun, however, as we are heading south from Rhode Island to NY for the 4th birthday of one on our grandaughters... Also, our son was given to tickets to the Yankees - Red Sox game at Yankee Stadium on Saturday ... having been born and spending most of my life in NYC, there is no doubt who I'll be rooting for ...
But I will get into the composer one of these days ...
many thanks again,
t.

#57514 - 09/17/04 11:38 AM Re: Stops
Bazz Woods Offline

Loc: British Isles
Many Thanks to all for your suggestion,
I tried the synchro/break system but unless
Im doing it wrong it still sounds unnatural.
If when pressed it played the first beat in the next bar then stopped that would be the answer.As I said in my initial post the composer is the answer but to have to do it for every rhythm I use is not the answer as on the Kn2600 there are only memory banks A-B-C,
and I would like not to have to load of the SD card everyother song.
I use the KN2600 mostly for 60,s 70,s type music .I also have to back singers when they want to sing ,it could be Little Old Wine Drinker,Ruby,Imagine,New York,etc all needing a stop somewhere.
Dont suppose the KN7000 has one.
Once again great response

Bazz

#57515 - 09/17/04 01:07 PM Re: Stops
John North Offline

Loc: Alfreton, Derbyshire, England
Hi Bazz
Another little trick you could try is to use the swell pedal. Just rock your foot pedal back to the fully closed (off) position which will stop the sound completely. Press the pedal down when you want the rhythm to be heard again. With a little practice it can be quite effective.
John

#57516 - 09/17/04 03:50 PM Re: Stops
Bazz Woods Offline

John
Thanks for that tip,but I would need to keep an eye on the tempo led to make sure when I swell the volume I am at the start of the bar

Bazz

#57517 - 09/17/04 04:00 PM Re: Stops
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Quote "If when pressed it played the first beat in the next bar then stopped that would be the answer."
Bazz, You can do just that You can stop the style playing on any beat of the bar by just pressing the 'Start/Stop' button at the right time........ If you press immediately after the First beat has played, then the rhythm will stop after the First beat - the style then resets to start on Beat 1 of the bar, next time you play a chord or note below the split point.
It's best to use your left hand for pressing the Stop button, that way, you don't get a left hand chord 'hanging' over the break.

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#57518 - 09/18/04 06:42 AM Re: Stops
Bazz Woods Offline

Aaahhh Bill

Never thought of that one,the hanging chord
really got to me,now if only we could solve the abrupt stop,but then you cant have everything.

Cheers and thanks
Barry

#57519 - 09/18/04 10:31 AM Re: Stops
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
I know in my car I can slow down and come to a stop. I can slam on the brakes, skid for a short distance with quite a squeal and stop. I can also stop my car and start it. Once in a while I will let my car coast slowly up to a stop sign and stop close to it. Unlike my car when going everything goes. When it stops, everything stops including me. With my keyboard I stop but it can keep going. I can stop some parts of it while others are still going. I can go with it or not with what ever part of it is going or stopped.

What have you got in mind Barry when you say an abrupt stop. Slow down a bit before stopping? Kind of slow down a tad and then speed up when approaching a stop. Over here in Chicago land that approach to stopping will get you a ticket sometimes. It is frowned upon.

With my KN keyboard I can slow down before I stop completely. As an abrupt stop can be accomplished by playing with one hand while slowly turning that round tempo knob just to the right of the screen. With two hands playing it takes a bit more of finesse. There is an indentation in that round knob for that very purpose. The end of the nose fits very nicely into it for turning it with the head motion. A little tricky at first to get the motion smooth of course.

I might suggest one thing however if you bare with me. If you have a runny nose with a cold and then sneeze while performing this function it could become something that is not very pretty. Did you ever try to clean up a broken uncooked egg on your keys or board? It seems to run away from you as you try to clean it up. It slithers in the seams and cracks of the board. However snot has a creamy foam substance also because of the pressure behind a sneeze homogenizing the stuff. I find just sucking up the stuff with the mouth before exerting any kind of cleaning pressure to it can save a great deal of time and frustration.

I have been in this keyboard game for many years and know the answers to most of the questions you younger players come across. You might call old Gramps a harbinger of knowledge and tricks of the trade. Just ask Bill or John or any of the old timers like Larry and they will conform it.

Grandpa Doug

Ask Ruthie and you will get some kind of an answer also.

#57520 - 09/18/04 10:52 AM Re: Stops
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Bazz - check your email........

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online