SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#57502 - 09/14/04 06:20 AM Re: Stops
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Well, I see our pal Bill has gone one better on me while I was 'pecking' away at my response ... ...

Bill ... what kind of example did you e-mail ... something verbal, printed, ??? ...
thnx,
t.

#57503 - 09/14/04 07:15 AM Re: Stops
etwo4788 Offline

Loc: S.E. New Mexico USA
This "stop" thing is something I learned while jamming with a band member in Omaha, NE....I have no claim on being a "musician" ....just a devotee...a passionate one!

Anyway.....yes,it is effective to insert no sound for a few beats.....as Bill describes. I found that my KN7K will begin again (after the pause)....always on the "downbeat".....

If there is a way to start the rhythm again on a 2, 3, or 4th beat.....please post the method?????

ELIZABETH....

#57504 - 09/14/04 01:06 PM Re: Stops
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Tony - check your mailbox

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#57505 - 09/14/04 04:06 PM Re: Stops
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Everyone,
thank you for the explanations, and Bill thank you for the file ( haven't had a chance to try it yet).

Late last night , I actually ended up checking my "Jammer " software to see if it had any "stop" rythms. It had a couple in fast jazz, boogie woogie etc ( just the type of rythms you mentioned Tony)
All the instruments appear to stop on the 1st beat, but in the jammer style, a drum beat keeps the rythm going.

Very effective actually. One learns something new everyday.

Bill, I think you mentioned you created the rythm as one of the variations, I would imagine that would be the only way it could be done. Fills or pads wouldn't really work?

thanks everyone

best wishes
rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#57506 - 09/14/04 04:16 PM Re: Stops
Bud Whipple Offline

Loc: The Plantation, Leesburg, Flor...
Some styles are constructed with silent measures, stop measures, breaks, or whatever you want to call them, but they are hard to find. I've probably come across a dozen styles out of a few thousand conversions, but it's also something you can make up yourself. Just pick the style you need for your particular song and go into the composer. Pick the variation you want for the stops, and use step record for each instrument to delete the notes for the measures that you want silent. With a little tweaking, you can have the sound you want with only a few minutes work. Save it to disk/sd card and it's ready to use whenever you want. Now I know that using the composer wasn't what was wanted originally, but it's fast, and reliable. It works every time you call it up and you won't have to worry about the beat being off.

[This message has been edited by Bud Whipple (edited 09-14-2004).]

#57507 - 09/14/04 07:02 PM Re: Stops
tony mads usa Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Norrie:
Hi Tony - check your mailbox

thnx, Bill I'll give it a listen ...
t.

#57508 - 09/15/04 04:10 AM Re: Stops
Bill Norrie Offline

Hi Rikki,
The 'Stop Time' I created was in Variation 2 of a Jazz style and was edited just as Bud explained. However, I see no reason why it could not be created as a Fill-In. Most, if not all of the KN7000 fill-ins, are just one measure long but they can be edited to be any length, up to 16 Bars
Stop Time measures are generally 4 bars long.

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley

#57509 - 09/15/04 02:57 PM Re: Stops
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Thanks Bill & Bud
on the explanation on creation of stop time patterns.

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#57510 - 09/15/04 04:11 PM Re: Stops
tony mads usa Offline

Bill ... your 'stop time' pattern was EXCELLENT !!! .... how do I get it to work on the kn6?!?!?
I hate to say it, but I've never even used the 'composer' feature on the kn6
Does it work the same as described above? ... also, could this be saved as a pad???
thnx agn,
t.

#57511 - 09/15/04 04:33 PM Re: Stops
Bill Norrie Offline

Hi Tony, You should be able to produce a 'Stop Pattern' on the KN6xxx just as described by Bud. You really should 'Get into' the Composer - you can have some great fun editing styles and it ain't difficult. (Project for the weekend???)
Just copy a KN6xxx style into one of the Composer memories and then edit one of the variations. I just cleared the entire Variation 2 and then entered a single Bass Drum hit, single Snare Drum hit and single Open Hi-Hat in the Drum 1 track and Acoustic Bass note C1, in the Bass track. All entries were on the first beat of each of the four bars.
I don't know if the pattern could be entered into a Performance Pad - I've not tried it - might be worthwhile investigating.....

------------------
Willum

Aldous Huxley

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online