SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#57401 - 02/05/06 02:39 PM flashing SUSTAIN led on KN2000
magaling Offline

Loc: los angeles, CA., USA
This problem came gradually. SUSTAIN led will flash (on-off-on) for no reason. Then it will stop and comes back after a few weeks. Today, it is just flashing and has other problems; like the panel memory led's are flashing one after another. I tried the following, initializing, power down, it worked for a while but not anymore. I could not figure it out. Did I get a virus?

#57402 - 02/05/06 03:14 PM Re: flashing SUSTAIN led on KN2000
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Just a thought - do you have a footswitch connected and configured for Sustain??? If so, try disconnecting.....

Re. Virus - Highly unlikely - I doubt if anyone has ever written a virus for a KN2000 or any other keyboard..........

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#57403 - 02/05/06 07:20 PM Re: flashing SUSTAIN led on KN2000
magaling Offline

I am back again. I have no sustain PEDAL connected. Also, the panel memory LED's will start flashing one after another in a very quick succession after I downloaded a song but not with a MIDI file.
Just imagine listening to a song with instruments changing in quick succession (whatever is in the panel memory currently) i.e., piano, drums, flute, ....

If you don't know of any virus, I could have an electronic (hardware) problem(s). I hope not. I had this for 9 years and I am the original owner. Well, presently I just enjoy listening to midi files. I hope I can get this fix.

#57404 - 02/06/06 04:46 AM Re: flashing SUSTAIN led on KN2000
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
In that case, I would suggest that you have a hardware related problem. It could be due to faulty inter-pcb connections. A small amount of oxidation on these connections, can accumulate over time and cause intermittent faults, such as you are experiencing.
I note from your profile, that you are a computer technician, so I am sure you are aware of this type of problem. Perhaps you could dig inside your KN2000 and physically 'ease' some of the connectors ??
( Don't forget your anti-static wristband )

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#57405 - 02/06/06 03:24 PM Re: flashing SUSTAIN led on KN2000
magaling Offline

I have opened my keyboard 3 times in the past few years due to a minor problem like the flashing SUSTAIN led.
I am amazed at the outstanding quality (control) of the PCB. The cables are laid out nice and connectors are excellent quality.
I did opened it again...checked all connectors...and anything that looked like out of the ordinary. (I know by my experience what to look for.) Put it back together and I powered up. No luck. I still have the problem.
Since this is a computer I wonder if the operating system (program) is corrupted. Any comments ?

#57406 - 02/06/06 05:27 PM Re: flashing SUSTAIN led on KN2000
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
I am not in your league with regards to technology but it could be something simple like mains or connecting leads 'shortening' out, have you tried replacing them?

Also, you could download the free KN2000 software from the Technics site and try loading some of them, they might just overwrite the problem. However, it is possible Technics have closed their site. If this is the case,someone on this Forum may have copies of this software who would be willing to pass them on to you.

Just a thought.

Aud (U.K.)

[This message has been edited by Audrey Turner (edited 02-06-2006).]

#57407 - 02/07/06 01:02 PM Re: flashing SUSTAIN led on KN2000
magaling Offline

Thanks first of all for all the replies and help.

I have 50/50 chance Technics may have the free software. (I don't know what it is.)

However, I am hoping for any souls out there may have a copy and be kind enough to help me out.

I recorded all of my church music and I use them on sundays. I sing the songs I recorded. I am the cantor. I can not play and sing all the verses so I do my recordings. Most of the songs for the sunday mass are recorded. I depend on this KN2000 so much, I just won't give up.

#57408 - 02/07/06 01:22 PM Re: flashing SUSTAIN led on KN2000
Walt Meyer Offline

Loc: Silver City, NM USA
Magaling,
I have repaired two KN2000 keyboards, my own and a friends. Both problems were related to the power supplies. Not the same problems as yours, but it seems that the power supplies are trouble makers and the keyboard is sensitive to power supply voltage levels.
The problem with service is being able to find the all of the places to measure the various voltages, of which there are many.
Do you have the schematics and the PC board layouts?
I might be able to send the files to you if necessary.
Walt

#57409 - 02/07/06 07:15 PM Re: flashing SUSTAIN led on KN2000
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Suggest you look up and phone George Kay Music in Reseda, close by you and ask George who can repair your board in your area. You can also go to the general arranger forum here in the synthzone and look up one of George's posts and post to him there. He is also in the Yamaha Arranger forum here in the synthzone with posts.
Hope this helps you out.
Bebop

#57410 - 02/14/06 07:20 PM Re: flashing SUSTAIN led on KN2000
magaling Offline

I don't know how to say this to everyone........but my flashing sustain LED and panel memory "chasing" LED's problem have disappeared.

I did not do anything to solve the problem.
Like I said initially, this problem comes and go. I don't know how or when it will come back but I am relieved for now.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online