SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#57331 - 03/14/03 06:48 AM Re: MIDI PLAYBACK
technicsplayer Offline

the first method will work fine for direct play medleys, where you want to mute the melody and play any conductor voice of your choice instead. If you want to use panel memories for the conductor voices just turn off part 1-16, tempo, etc etc down the list in the filter to stop these changing the things you don't want changed in the midi file.

If you want to change voices on the fly in direct play or from sequencer, use the mixer.

If you want to save midis with banks of panel memories preprogrammed with either sound changes in the midi tracks, or with preprogrammed conductor voices independent of the midi tracks this can be done too, it all depends on specifying what you want to do.

the simplest example:

initialise.
load midi.
save panel mem 1.
play the midi and change the lead voice in the mixer.
save pan mem 2.
stop, sequencer reset, press pan mem 1.
save technics sequencer, pan mem and current panel only.

initialise again (to prove it works).
load your midi and play it.
any time you want to change to your pre-programmed alternative melody voice just press pan mem 2.

if you want to include conductor parts, then follow a combination of the two methods. If you want to use conductor parts from panel memory but leave the midi backings unchanged
this can also be done. The exact method depends on whether you want to direct play, or medley from the sequencer.

It is feasible to change all 16 parts of the midi from panel memory, your idea of a blanket setup would not work for many midi files, because you don't know what you are changing to what - you can't change piano with sustain pedal to trombone for instance - you need to choose your instruments for each song, or sort banks of songs with compatible orchestrations for each track.

#57332 - 03/14/03 08:36 AM Re: MIDI PLAYBACK
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Alec

Thank you for the time on the reply. I am beginning to see that panel memories, by nature, have to include things like tempo,volume,etc.

It will take me a bit to try out your instructions. I naively thought I could have panel memories with different combinations of R1,R2, and left to bring up by a touch of a button without interfering with the midi track in any way.

In other words,7000 instruments with reverb alone, even, playing along side of the midi track. Just like I have my laptop playing tracks into the 7000 sometimes,but ,I want to store them on SD, with at least the GM2 quality of sound on the 7000.

#57333 - 03/14/03 09:36 AM Re: MIDI PLAYBACK
technicsplayer Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bernie9:
Alec

It will take me a bit to try out your instructions. I naively thought I could have panel memories with different combinations of R1,R2, and left to bring up by a touch of a button without interfering with the midi track in any way.

That's precisely one of the scenarios I described:

Make some panel memories for conductor parts. Then press and hold SET, go to expand mode and then page 2. Switch off part 1-16, tempo, and anything else you do not want to change as the midi file plays (most things apart from reverb, multi and whatever else you want to use etc).

Load your midi, confirm gm mode is channels = parts as described before.

Midi will play and you can play independent conductor sounds on top of the midi, without in any way affecting the midi playback.

These panel memories can now be selected with any midi file and the conductor sounds will be independent of any midi file

#57334 - 03/14/03 09:40 AM Re: MIDI PLAYBACK
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Thank you Alec, I really appreciate your help.

Bernie

#57335 - 03/15/03 09:55 AM Re: MIDI PLAYBACK
Catsailor Offline

Technicsplayer,

Didn't mean to upset you. I do have a few questions about the procedures. Do the procedures move the data on midi tracks 1, 2, and 3 to other midi tracks or just not recognize the midi information? If the data is moved to other tracks, what happens if the total tracks are then more than 16? Will the procedure recognize the melody and bass no matter which tracks they are on? Most midis don't follow any set format. Why can't the GM to NX conversion be used, since you once said the gm instruments are not the same as the technics instruments, it would be nice to use the technics instruments? How long have you been working with midis on keyboards, and what keyboards do you use them on? I am always looking for an easier way to use my midis on my keyboard and I hope that your midi and keyboard experience and knowledge will help me out. Thanks in advance.

Peter

#57336 - 03/16/03 04:02 AM Re: MIDI PLAYBACK
technicsplayer Offline

As I understood it the question was one of being able to play conductor parts independently while a midi file plays, preferably saved in panel memories so your pre-programmed favourite sets of voices could be selected in combination with any midi file.

The simplest solution would be one that requires no modification to the midi file, otherwise you have a lot of work in prospect changing all your midi files on an individual basis. So a universal solution would ideally require no tracks re-voicing, moving, or even preparing in any specific track/part order. Re-voicing to NX (which I have lost count of the number of times I've described and recommended) is desirable to improve the sound, provided suitably sympathatic sounds are chosen, but takes us no closer to a solution to the question.

The easiest solution is decoupling the conductor parts from the midi file and preventing the panel memories from changing anything in the midi file. Then you can add your preprogrammed conductor sounds to any midi file you choose, without affecting it, irrespective of the state of the midi file.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online