SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#57213 - 12/12/05 10:48 AM Re: Practise a song
Bud Whipple Offline

Loc: The Plantation, Leesburg, Flor...
Larry, I fully understand your situation since I've been there many times myself in the 40 years of our marriage. Sometimes the closest I could get to my keyboard was in passing from doing one chore to another. The precious moments finally spent in actual playing was truly sweet and blissful, but sort of hard to describe to someone who can play whenever they want. My "quiet time" was from 11pm to 1am then off to bed for a few hours before the daily routine started all over again. These times of strife caring for a sick spouse are truly labors of love and will certainly bring you blessings from above.

I also document every variation change, each different instrument plus blends, and all important information necessary to re-record the song if the need arises. My notebooks go back as far as my first keyboard (a Casio) and are useful for reference as well as my archive lists for different styles, since I only record a style once.

There's a learning curve involved with these complex keyboards, but we just keep evolving with knowledge gained through routine or experimenting, or the forum, and hope someday to gain the expertise of the other player on the forum we just listened to. You know, that guy named Larry Gosmeyer.

Keep the faith, my friend. Stay strong through the coming year, keep your soul mate happy and secure and remember that there really is a reason for everything that happens in our lives.

[This message has been edited by Bud Whipple (edited 12-12-2005).]

#57214 - 12/13/05 08:37 PM Re: Practise a song
etwo4788 Offline

Loc: S.E. New Mexico USA
AUDREY... Yes! Yes! Yes! How much FUN would it be to jam together! ... I too read only the treble clef & chord symbols....

Working with the computer is something I do not do very much.....However, it is something I want to become proficient with! My computer has the capacity to "burn" CD's... (I actually did one of Richard Child....His voice & music are magnificent!) I have a "reader" to transfer data from the 7K to the computer...just need to work with it all often enough to be able to accomplish good results without having to go through the learning process each time!

Mostly I just want to sit at the 7K....turn pages....& play the hours away! Having an audience is wonderful once in awhile....having a jam is even more fun!

ELIZABETH

#57215 - 12/14/05 03:13 AM Re: Practise a song
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I can not achieve perfection, but the love and enjoyment that music and keyboards brings sits and waits for us. Years ago I learned to accept me, that followed by me accepting the music abilities that God has given me ? and they ain?t that great. I lived with a Dad who was a concert piano player, his dad sent him to Italy for his music education.
After two weeks of piano instructions given by my perfectionist Father I decided to turn to guitar. I did well with the guitar, studied for years, I loved it, and I gave lessons and played professionally for many years.
I felt comfortable sitting up on the stage and playing my guitar, I was good. But ----- whenever I became aware of the presence of another guitar player, or who I thought was another played guitar I would freeze up, my hands would not respond, the joy of Playing and performing left me. Later that year I after a bit of self-examination, I had to admit I was not the best guitar player, nor was I even close to being the best guitar --- nor was I willing to give the effort that would make me that better guitar player. So with this new revelation I was no longer threatened by another performer, this is me and that?s it, I accept me, let?s enjoy music.
Amazing---- After my revelation and acceptance of myself my playing began to improve, I venture to areas I had avoided, took the risks. A wrong note lost its importance. Amen!

John C.

#57216 - 12/14/05 06:07 AM Re: Practise a song
Jack Docters Offline

Loc: Eindhoven Netherlands
That was streat from your heart Bruno
I appriciate this, specially in this Christmas time

Thanks

Jack

#57217 - 12/14/05 01:47 PM Re: Practise a song
Walt Meyer Offline

Loc: Silver City, NM USA
John C.
I can fully relate to what you have said.
I used to play Hammond organ - used lead sheets or just melody and made up the rest on the fly. In other words, I would say that I was a "Bar Room Organist".
After I retired we were in an RV park where they wanted to start a non-denominational chapel service. I had been entertaining in the park so they asked if I would be the organist for the services.
Since I had never played church music in my life and could not read 3 staff music, I promptly said no! Then I thought about it and said to myself "you dummy, here's a chance to learn something new - but - i'll do it my way, take it or leave it".
To make a long story short I faked my through the hymns - everyone liked the music and said "we've never heard those songs played that way and it puts a whole new spirit and spin on worship music". Mind you now, the music wasn't really changed but simply interpreted a little differently using more solo voices, less 6 or 8 finger chords that make everything sedate and muddy, and a little bass pedal rhythm and the use of some alternate chords.
I ended up as a full fledged church organist playing for over 6 years in the local Methodist church.
If I hadn't overcome the intimidation that I felt when first asked to do this, I would have missed some very important hours of musical enjoyment.
Walt

#57218 - 12/15/05 12:49 AM Re: Practise a song
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Walt, I love your post, I got the feeling you would be a good man to visit on my next trip when I get to that part of the country.

John C.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online