SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#57166 - 06/07/02 05:39 AM drums help!
Sparky Offline

Loc: lewiston maine usa
I have been wanting to record my own songs I have written and have a br8 digital 8 track recorder. But my problem is sequencing the drums on my kn6500. unlike a style recording I have to do the drums all the way through?? Holy smokes that is a huge amount of sequencing. I have not yet tackled this task but have a lot of originals to do. Can anyone offer any suggestions for making this task easier and still use my kn6500 to do it all on. I know of the cut and paste feature but it appears I can only cut and paste from the same sequence and not from one to the other. How do you do it without using styles? Any suggestions at all will be greatly appreciated.
Tony

#57167 - 06/07/02 06:49 AM Re: drums help!
technicsplayer Offline

I don't understand what the problem is... you can copy from any track in any song to any other track in any other song, thus have 160 tracks available for preparation of the final result from one load, not counting single song save and load to give unlimited flexibility. So you can prepare different tracks in different songs and then copy them across to combine them in one song.

Not being clear about exactly how you wish to proceed, it would surely be much easier to use the composer as a drum pattern creator, string the different sections together by real or much easier chord step record, and then produce a final track with apc to smf convert. This track could be as many tries as you like, and copied to as many songs as you like to monitor a final mix.

Just because the composer has bass and accomp does not matter - just ignore them and use the drum track. You have 36 programmable patterns of 16 measures each without counting the intros and endings in a composer load. This should be enough for the number of drum pattern variations you need for a single song creation. If you need more, step record from the custom (an additional 240 16 measure programmable patterns available, intro and ending extra).

apc conversion gives you a midi format type drum track, then you can play real time bass and accomp on top to produce a final result. The composer is useful to give a temporary scratchpad type mix for you to perfect the drums, this can then be discarded for a professional result if playing the rest of the tracks in real time multitrack.

It all depends on which is your personal easiest way of working really.

#57168 - 06/07/02 09:17 AM Re: drums help!
Sparky Offline

Thank you for your help! But I don't understand how you can copy from any track in any song to any other track in any other song.
Seeing that in order to get to another song I have to load it and that gets rid of the one i am working on.
Tony

#57169 - 06/07/02 10:44 AM Re: drums help!
technicsplayer Offline

you have 10 separate songs in memory at once, selected at the top of the sequencer page, each independant of the other. All 10 get saved with a sequencer save. To record you have to go through this page so you can select which song position you want to record to before you start recording.

There is a song copy menu to copy any song to any other of the 10 positions within memory. So you can copy song 1 to song 10 and clear song 1 and start again. Or record 10 songs in 10 positions one after the other.

In addition you can save any individual song on page 3 of the floppy save page, enabling you to load, save and mix any number of song combinations within any mix of 10 songs in memory at any one time. Thus you could save song 6, and load it to song 10 on another file of 10 songs.

In the track copy menu you can copy any track to any other track, but also any track in any song to any other track in any other song. Thus you could copy track 5 in song 3 to track 16 on song 9.

Likewise in the copy and paste menu you can copy measures from any track to any other track of a song.

Thus there is complete flexibilty to record as many takes as you like, and combine the best licks of each one into a single track or multiple tracks to select the best version, much of the same functionality as any computer sequencer in this particular respect.

#57170 - 06/07/02 11:25 AM Re: drums help!
Sparky Offline

Many thanks to ya Techplayer. I will study this and should have it now. I'm not real good at figuring this thing out. manual is so brief.
Thanks again!
Tony

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online