SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#56742 - 06/05/03 08:45 PM Tracks 1-15
Ted Rose Offline

Loc: United States
When a song is loaded into the 7000 (and other previous keyboards, such as the 6000/6500, or 5000, too), a screen comes up with a horizontal line of some 16 individual tracks. My question: Is there a listing somewhere, or can someone list and/or explain what each individual track does??? Recently, there have been some great new downloads from Larry G., in which certain tracks are muted, thus giving us a chance to provide our own melody lines and/or chording within his prepared registrations. But, except for those muted tracks that Larry explained, I, for one, have no idea what the other tracks do! I also assume there is a way to record each track individually to orchestrate a song with a more professional result than just using East Record. Thanks for any information any of you great Forum and keyboard experts can come up with.

Ted

[This message has been edited by Ted Rose (edited 06-05-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Ted Rose (edited 06-06-2003).]

#56743 - 06/06/03 01:08 AM Re: Tracks 1-15
Chuck Piper Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Good Morning Ted!

At least it is morning here in the U.K. You folks in my home country are still snoozing. Isn't it nice to know that while you are sleeping, someone is busy preparing an answer to your question? How's that for service! Let me strongly urge you to consider buying the Technote "Sequencer" video. Tony Pegler is the presenter and he does a terrific job of explaining exactly how you work with individual tracks as well as covering "Easy Record" and "Step Record" functions. I'm sure he must have anticipated your question because he provides tailor-made answers for you. I have all six videos and find them to be great value for money. In fact, I bought a small "combi" TV and placed it on my computer desk next to my computer monitor and facing my keyboard so I can sit at the keyboard, watch the videos, and follow Tony's instructions as he progresses through the button pushing steps. It's magic! I learn more and faster if I can see and hear an explanation. He uses the KN5000 instrument, but the process and keyboard screen presentations are nearly the same for all practical purposes for the KN6000/6500/7000 instruments. I like Tony's informal, easy-going presentation style. The video costs £12.99 (about $20.00). As I said, it is great value for the money, and you have the video to refer to forever.

Have a great day when you wake up, Ted!

Best Wishes

Chuck

#56744 - 06/06/03 07:16 AM Re: Tracks 1-15
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Ted, I believe that Chuck's idea in getting the Video is a good one. I also find it helpful and enjoyable to experiment. After saving the song there is harm you do to it, you can always reload that same song as it was before you made any changes.
Push buttons, erase,add,experiment, learn what happens when you press each button it's part of the joy.

Enjoy, John C.

#56745 - 06/06/03 11:58 AM Re: Tracks 1-15
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Ted and anyone else interested

Here is the link for the video http://www.technote.com/products.asp?catid=48

I may purchace it myself as I too could use some help in editing sequences... Actually I could use a lot of help.

SeeYa
Larry Hawk

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#56746 - 06/06/03 12:49 PM Re: Tracks 1-15
The Leans Offline

Loc: Birmingham, England
Hi Ted,

The answer to your query is fairly straightforward. Each track in the sequencer is nothing more than an individual recording facility. You will record onto it, any voice you wish, at anytime, and likewise, be able to change to another voice at anytime. Some tracks are of course, specific to certain functions, and may not be changed to another function.

As such, when sequencing, you would 'lay down' a track at a time, and build one track on top of another. If you don't like any of the voices you've recorded, they can be changed to suit. This way, you progressively build up to a band or orchestra. You can literally, do what you like, and produce what you like. Hope this helps. Good luck Ted.

#56747 - 06/06/03 05:26 PM Re: Tracks 1-15
Frank Bez Offline

Loc: Avila Beach, CA, U.S.A.
Hi Ted,
The sequencer is also quite useful for people like me who pretty much use the Easy Record approach to record songs. After recording a song you can go to the sequencer to add counter melodies or duet parts to your original recording. After your initial recording:
PRESS Sequencer
PRESS Record & Edit
PRESS Realtime Record
PRESS Mixer
Select an empty track. The ones from 9 to 16 will say Piano. Choose any one. When highlighted (red) select any instrument you wish. It might be useful to put the volume at 127. It can be changed later.
PRESS Play and record your additional part.
If you’re not pleased with the result, you can simply record over the track. Most piano music has a counter melody as part of the arrangement or you can write a simple part that may just come in occasionally. In any case it’s just another tool to make an arrangement more interesting.
Frank

#56748 - 06/07/03 12:03 PM Re: Tracks 1-15
Bud Whipple Offline

Loc: The Plantation, Leesburg, Flor...
Hi Frank, good to see you're back on the forum and getting into the mix again. Ted, one other thing you can do with the sequencer is to correct any mistakes you make while doing an "easy record". It takes a little while and some bit of practice to get used to the function of the sequencer editor, but it is a most useful tool. I've always known the editor was there, but until a year or so ago, I wasn't brave enough to use it. I just got tired of always starting a recording over again and again because of a late hit on a note, or hitting the wrong note, etc., you know how it goes. The editor saves you from having to start over on a recording, and I had to force myself to start using this function until I learned the in's and out's and felt comfortable with it. It's a little tricky to use, but a real time saver when you end up with a "doink" in the middle of your performance. When you replay your recording, keep an eye on the measure indicator and note the spot(s) that need a bit of touching up, go back to that spot and repair it. You will be the only one that knows how many times you've had to make corrections, and you'll be surprised how easy it is to use the editor - after a bit of practice. I'll tell you, I don't know how Alec finds all the goodies included in the keyboard, let alone how to use them, but I'm glad he's on our team to help us out! Just keep playing and experimenting, and before long you'll find something hidden in there to tell the forum about.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online