SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#56621 - 09/09/03 06:34 AM Re: Thank You Easy Record Players
Walt Meyer Offline

Loc: Silver City, NM USA
Hi Everybody,
I feel that being able to read music well enough to just sit down and play from the sheet is both a blessing - and a curse.
The reason that I say this is that I can usually tell, just by listening, whether the artist is playing from the dots or not. Most that play from the sheet music tend to play without much expression, as Bill said "is a bit like putting a paper roll in a player piano".
I never have learned to sight read more than single staff music because my first introduction to music was on the piano accordian and I never took piano lessons.
When I started playing the organ in later life, I naturally continued in the same manner - read or memorize the right hand - make up the accompianament. It didn't sound right because until a friend (Grandpa Doug's brother Jim) showed me how to play counter melody with the left hand while beating out the chords, I didn't get that classic "organ sound".
Years later, when I played organ every Sunday for the church, I used the same method to play the hymns and the congregation loved it. They had not heard church music played that way. (I call it "faking", but if it sounds good then people enjoy it). And as Bill said, I never play the same song the same way.
So, the moral of the story is: If you want to be a classical, play by the rules, high technical skill keyboard player, then by all means learn to sight read well.
If you want to be an entertainer, then learn enough reading skills to learn the song and then as you play it, make it sound good. To do this you have to learn to listen to yourself as you play - sometimes when you're busy reading music, you haven't got time to listen to what you are playing.
Like they say, "Pay your money and take your choice!".
Just my thoughts,
Walt

#56622 - 09/09/03 07:04 AM Re: Thank You Easy Record Players
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
I know one can read music, and fill in with your own personal touches. In fact, you should improvise some while reading music. To play the song exactly as it is written, could be boring.

I read music and I am lost without it. My buddy plays by ear, and has no idea how to
read music. We both wish, we could do what the other can do, as each has its own benifits.
It's the musician, that can do both, that I really admire.

SeeYa,
Larry Hawk

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#56623 - 09/09/03 09:46 AM Re: Thank You Easy Record Players
ogre Offline

Loc: UK
Wow! Glad I bared my soul (so to speak). This has been a fascinating thread with lots of ideas to work on. Must make sure I wear earphones in practising playing by ear

Ogre

#56624 - 09/09/03 10:53 AM Re: Thank You Easy Record Players
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Bill N, Says he listens for the feel of the song.(something like that)

How true, my two examples;

1-How would it be possible to feel what the person who wrote the song was feeling when he was writing the song--interpitation.

2-If that were possible, the well trained clasical music should sound great when they play pop music. His reading abilities are excelent.

On that note --opps---My Dad was a clasical/pop piano player---boy could he read music. Now I know he had to have read and studied the music for many of the pieces he played---but I never saw a sheet of music on the piano.

Both methods of playing music must be applauded. One is so helpful and guides us, on the others adds so much of the emotion.

Enjoy playing in any way you wish, John C.

#56625 - 09/09/03 11:03 AM Re: Thank You Easy Record Players
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Quote:
Originally posted by bruno123:
Bill N, Says he listens for the feel of the song. He is right on.

How true, my two examples;

1-How would it be possible to feel what the person who wrote the song was feeling when he was writing the song--interpitation.

2-If were possible, the well trained clasical musician should sound great when he plays pop music. This is normally the case, even though his reading abilities are excelent.

I said to my friend,"Music makes you feel good". In his friendly he replied,"No John, music makes you feel, period".

On that note --opps---My Dad was a clasical/pop piano player---boy, could he read music. Now I know he had to have read and studied many of the pieces he played---but I never saw a sheet of music on the piano when he was playing for people.

Both methods of playing music must be applauded. One is so helpful and guides us, on the others adds so much of the emotion.

Enjoy playing in any way you wish it's all fun. John C.

#56626 - 09/09/03 02:21 PM Re: Thank You Easy Record Players
Bud Whipple Offline

Loc: The Plantation, Leesburg, Flor...
I suppose I subscribe to the Walt Meyer way of playing. I read the sheet and play until I have it memorized, then go off on my own. I pretty much stick to the written music, but it also has my own twist on it. Whenever I play something new or unknown, I just keep playing along until something clicks, then I know I have it nailed. I played by ear for many years, but it has it's limits, so I learned to sight read, and the big notes in the music books certainly helped. I'll never be a piano player, but with the assistance of Technics, I won't have to lose any sleep over it.

#56627 - 09/09/03 02:53 PM Re: Thank You Easy Record Players
Chuck Piper Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi All,

This has been a very interesting discussion. I guess the saying "There is more than one way to skin a cat" sums up the essence of the thoughts expressed here. I use the same approach as you two, Bud and Walt, in that I commit a song to memory (reading the dots) and then add my personal touch to the mix. It works for some of us but is only one approach among several to playing music on an arranger keyboard. Your last sentence, Bud, is a great one. Like you, I won't lose any sleep over the fact I will never be a piano player. Our Technics boards are wonderful instruments, aren't they?

Chuck

#56628 - 09/09/03 07:31 PM Re: Thank You Easy Record Players
Walt Meyer Offline

Loc: Silver City, NM USA
Chuck,
All I can say is "AMEN"!
And like the song says: "To Each His Own"
There isn't any wrong way as long as it makes music that is pleasant to listen to.
The very best to everyone,
Walt

#56629 - 09/09/03 08:34 PM Re: Thank You Easy Record Players
Ted Rose Offline

Loc: United States
Hey ogre!

As an ear-player, I have to tell you you won't need to wear earphones while practicing/playing, but you might need a neck brace occasionally, because moving your ears over the keys can sometimes be quite a chore, especially if the tune is a fast one!

Great discussion here; thanks, ogre, for getting it going!

Ted

Quote:
Originally posted by ogre:
Wow! Glad I bared my soul (so to speak). This has been a fascinating thread with lots of ideas to work on. Must make sure I wear earphones in practising playing by ear

Ogre

#56630 - 09/10/03 12:44 AM Re: Thank You Easy Record Players
Mike ORegan Offline

An interesting bunch of replies, so I thought I might add my own "two-penn'orth". Many years ago I did an extended spell as a "depping" organist - deputising for organists who were sick, on holiday, etc. This involved travelling to strange clubs, confronting (often) strange organs, and accompanying "cabaret" with a strange drummer. For anyone who has not actually done this, I can tell you it is a "school of hard knocks", where you quickly learn new musical skills or perish. Often the "artistes" would ask for the music to be played in a different key to the dots - and this long before the advent of keyboards with transpose buttons. Usually we (me and the drummer) had about 5 minutes to understand what the artistes required and then we "were on".
About the same period, I had a weekly live half-hour show playing organ on local radio. This, again, was truly hair-raising at first. The idea was that I played requests as they came in during the program from telephone calls. There was no question of sorting out the dots - too slow - so I had to either play the requests or admit (on the air) that I didn't know them. Well, you can't do the latter too often and keep your spot. I can truly say that those experiences were the ones where I really learned my craft.
Mike O'R

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online