SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#56584 - 10/24/03 08:34 PM Re: v1.6 Operating System Update-KN7000
KeithB Offline

Loc: Melbourne AUSTRALIA
Ho Ho! The plot thickens. It works OK with sequences from Cees, Roger Mepstead and Willum's Songs 4U. No Larry I haven't altered any of the Sequence, and yes Walt all voices are out.BUT Walt, I unplugged the Expression Pedal, AND no problem, I had my sound after playing Larry's sequence. But why should that happen only with Larry's files? Another question, can I downgrade to v1.5?
hanks all for your interest.
Keith

#56585 - 10/24/03 08:53 PM Re: v1.6 Operating System Update-KN7000
KeithB Offline

This is a long saga. After my success, I thought that the seqence may have reversed the polarity of my Expression Pedal. SO I put the Pedal back, played Larry's sequence, expecting the sound to now go and if I put the pedal down it might regain sound - but NO the sound was there, everything normal! What is happening to me, how does the Expression Pedal get upset, and need re-setting?
Keith

#56586 - 10/25/03 06:45 AM Re: v1.6 Operating System Update-KN7000
Walt Meyer Offline

Loc: Silver City, NM USA
Hi Keith,
Sure glad that you found something to alter the situation.
On Technics keyboards the expression pedal does not directly control the audio, like the gain control on an amplifier. The keyboard processor samples the resistance value of the pedal and makes an electronic adjustment to the audio output level. This is also true for the APC/Sequencer volume control that is located on the upper left corner of the keyboard. I have found that the expression pedal and the APC/Sequencer controls interact and cause weird things to happen. Without the pedal connected, if you play with the APC volume, you can get the same problem as you have experienced.

In the keyboard there are at least five ways to control the volume:

[*]Expression pedal

[*]APC slider

[*]An imbedded control mark in the sequencer

[*]Individual volume levels for each voice via the mixer

[*]Touch control for each key that is pressed.

These are all electronic and can and do interact with each other in strange manners.
I have stopped fighting it and only plug in the expression pedal when needed. I believe that there really is a bug in the operating system.
Regards,
Walt

[This message has been edited by Walt Meyer (edited 10-25-2003).]

#56587 - 10/25/03 05:42 PM Re: v1.6 Operating System Update-KN7000
KeithB Offline

Thanks for the information, Walt. It starts to shed a lot more light on some of the strange things that occasionally seem to arise. I have an allied problem with the disks I purchased from Styledisk Warehouse. When I load them I cannot initially get the styles to start (I do have sound). I have to load a built-in style, then go back to the loaded in styles and they will now work. I notice in loading that these StyleDisk files have a sequencer file included, but no sequence effect to play. Maybe it contains settings, some of which create my problem.
Regards from Sunday morning in Australia
Keith

#56588 - 10/25/03 05:47 PM Re: v1.6 Operating System Update-KN7000
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
A bug in the operating system? My experience has shown it to lie in altogether another area. Sort of like the pope and the guy with the telescope. The pope could never get the guy with the telescope to see that the world was flat. That poor telescope guy couldn’t be convinced. Because the pope knew everything, he had the answer. Seeing that the telescope guy had a hard time getting it into his head that the world was flat, the pope had mercy on him and removed the problem. The star gazer’s head. Like the telescope guy, I can’t get it into my head that there is a bug in the operating system but rather a bug in the system’s operator!

Grandpa Doug

#56589 - 10/25/03 06:07 PM Re: v1.6 Operating System Update-KN7000
KeithB Offline

Thanks Granpa,
Problem, this Granpa is still learning how and what to operate. Unfortunately Technics doesn't provide enough system information for anybody to study and solve their own problems.
Keith

#56590 - 10/25/03 08:50 PM Re: v1.6 Operating System Update-KN7000
Walt Meyer Offline

Hi Doug,
Haven't heard anything from you in a while.
Doug, there isn't a piece of software in the world today that doesn't have a bug in it somewhere. Same with operating systems. Look at Microsoft. Constant service packs, upgrades, security fixes, and who knows what else?
The MS guys are not dummies, it's just that everything has gotten so complex that no amount of Beta testing can unearth certain combinations of events that cause a system to misbehave.
The same with Technics. I had my SD Card .inf file corrupted two times - and low and behold, Technics came up with update Version 1.5 to fix, among other things, occaisonal corruption of the .inf file.
So, good friend, don't keep your head in the sand too long, closing your eyes to a problem will not make it go away. (No matter how philosophical you get).
Regards,
Walt

#56591 - 10/25/03 10:46 PM Re: v1.6 Operating System Update-KN7000
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
Keith, a system is just what it says it is, a system. Take the solar system for instance. What do you think that telescope guy was seeing when he was star gazing. Right! Observing and learning a system. Looking through his telescope, observing and learning how things moved and reacted he acquired knowledge of a system. The pope, however, saw the same system looking through the eyes of his ego and his infallibility. Guess he never read what the creator of the system said. He said that his people were perishing because of a lack of knowledge of him and his system of doing things.

Lets look at computer systems. Unix is one. Dos another. Flakey windows by good old Bill and Macintosh, good old Mac, the what you see is what you get system. I’m talking with you guys with my trusty old Mac and you are hearing me most likely on another system. Well ain’t that something! The reason we are here at this forum is because most of us use the same system to make music. Some are here to make waves. That’s OK! I enjoy playing with them and their waves.

There are other music making systems that make beautiful music also. As I choose Mac and others choose Windows so others choose the music system that works and sounds best for them. The one thing we all have in common is an operating system. We must learn our operating system. When we do, we have fun. When we don’t, we get frustrated and confused. Sort of like the telescope guy and the pope. One having fun looking at heaven and the other finding his way to hell by loping off the others head in anger. One gaining knowledge of the system and the other thinking it should be like he would like it to be.

I always have believed that attitude is the secret of life. A positive attitude or outlook always goes forward and reaps rewards. A negative attitude always drags a man downward. Personal responsibility is positive and shirking it is negative. One leads forward to success and the other finds reasons why he doesn’t have much success. As an example before us now, little critters. Bugs! Volume problems. Expression pedal problems. Some got problems and some don’t. Many with the same gear and the same everything. Some learn the system but others don’t and are convinced it’s the bugs. Kind of drives me buggy. Keith, as a grandpa also, you say you are still learning how and what to operate and that is your problem. That is not a problem, that is the way it should be. Mr. Telescope gained knowledge every day by this method. His problem was the holier than thou guy that wanted the system to be like he thought it should be. You say, unfortunately Technics doesn't provide enough system information for anybody to study and solve their own problems. Tell that to the telescope guy. Tell that to the man that made the light bulb, the airplane brothers, tell it to us guys that have learned the system. Using the Technics manuel only made the job easier and faster. It is a delight compaired to some.

Now Walt, nothing is perfect. I will admit technics has had bugs in new introductions. I will also say they have always corrected them. They are also not akin to detailing them with their fix. Most are minor some are not and many can’t tell the difference. I really think your problem is not a bug but that you want them to change their operating system to suit your way of doing things. Possibly a residue of old habits. As I said before many times, I have gotten disks from others, even from pro’s like Dennis Awe that had volume problems. With a little patience and experimentation I found my board was OK, the system had no bugs, the disk was as it should be but the guy that made it didn’t quite understand all he knew about it. Maybe just an oversight. In any event, it was a learning time well spent. With a wrong attitude it might have turned into a bug for you or even worse, by leading others to the impression that the keyboard had design problems. From what Bebop said, this influenced him to do what he did. There again, looking at this with a good attitude could be a great learning experience for him relative to people even if it cost him a few bucks. I know, awhile back I said I wasn’t going to say any more on this subject but I suppose this is a bug I might have.

Grandpa Doug

#56592 - 10/26/03 01:03 PM Re: v1.6 Operating System Update-KN7000
Walt Meyer Offline

Doug,
You wrote:
Quote:
I really think your problem is not a bug but that you want them to change their operating system to suit your way of doing things.

At the risk of destroying an old friendship, I have to ask what gives you the gall to say the above? Are you so clairvoyant as to know how I do things?
For your information, I follow the book, and when the instrument misbehaves, there is a good possibility that there is something wrong with the instrument.
Quote:
---, I can’t get it into my head that there is a bug in the operating system but rather a bug in the system’s operator!

I deeply resent it that you tell me that I am too dumb to recognise a problem not of my doing.
END OF SUBJECT
Walt

[This message has been edited by Walt Meyer (edited 10-26-2003).]

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online