SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#56165 - 05/03/02 05:19 AM More tutorial for the COMPOSER
Lindoz Offline

Loc: Torshalla, Sweden
Hi Folks...
Letīs talk about editing in COMPOSER. You can go by edit in the SEQUENCER TO COMPOSER COPY mode or PROGRAM MENUS/COMPOSER.

To the left we have the A,B,C memory buttons. Suppose we have something on A, so press this button. The selected pattern is framed in red. You can easy move between different Patterns, Fills and Intro or Endings with the six buttons below.

Now letīs say you have copied an INTRO from a midisong to the INTRO 1 maj memory. Move the frame to it and press OK. To the right there is a frame with numbers of measures and a time signature ( usually 2-8 and 4/4 ). To the left you find the Measure Edit if you like to copy measures for expanding your intro. In this case, you must change the number of measures at your wish, in the frame to the right. ( Max.16 )
Note: Changing in number of measures in INTRO 1 maj, also change the number of measures in the INTRO 1 minor!

Below to the left you have the 8 tracks of APC. Press DRUM1. The rythm will start and you can hear the INTRO in a loop. Donīt touch any key otherwise you get drums recorded in the track ( If this happens, just load your composer again and start from beginning ). Press STOP rythm. Press the STEP RECORD button. The drums/sound in the intro appears like asterisks in the measures. Is the Bassdrum too loud? No problem. Go through the measures by the right cursor, decrease all C1 you find, with VEL and donīt forget to confirm with OK after each change.As you maybe see, the asterisk can have several sounds each. Be sure that you treat the right drum/sound!

With the NOTE button, you can change the sound, for ex. the cymbal Db2 to the cymbal Eb2.Confirm with OK. Now press EXIT (on the display). You can easily select a new Drumkit for your intro. Press Drumkits in Soundgroup. The default kit appears on the display. Select another kit and press EXIT. Back to the intro, you can press START and listen to your new drumkit. There is no problem for going back to Drumkits and select new kits whilst the rythm playing. The memory will automatically remember your last selected kit, but donīt remember to SAVE on disc before you shut off.

Press any of the other AC buttons if you wish. Maybe you will change an Acoustic Bass to an Electric? Press SOLO if you only wish to listen on your track alone (redlighted= On). Press off, and you hear all tracks in the intro again.

Now press PART SETTING. The selected track is redframed. Here you can also change instruments by moving the frame and select a new sound in the Sound Group. You can also play the rythm whilst editing. The style will sound really different if you select for ex. new Bass, Drums and Guitar.

Something about PAN.
Drum1 and Drum2 has been prepanned in the Sound Editor, so they canīt be panned here. The Bass will normally be in the center, while other instruments can be panned after wishing. Since Iīm an gigging musician, I donīt like Styles with instruments far to left or right. This might sounds strange for the people on the dancefloor. Left or right 1-15 could be ok. In recording connections it could be more motivated with a wide stereosound, but remember that a guitar on right 52 for ex. needs another instrument on left 52 for the case of balance. Never PAN two instruments at the same place, or a solo instrument too far from center. If you need more power on your instrument, increase the balance value. 0=strongest 127= weakest.

Thereīs also a possibility to put Digital Effects on your instruments (on or off). SOUND= the assigned effect in Sound Edit. Here also is a page 2. Press the page button. If you have time and feel, you can experiment with the EQ. Thereīs also volume settings for DSP1 and DSP2 (Digital Signal Processor), but for switch this on, you have to press DSP SET and switch the VARI to on.

Another great feature is the REVERB. Remember that the Bass normally is dry. I allways adjust the Bassreverb to zero. Even Drums should be rather dry, but if you need a Snaredrum with a lot of reverb, move it to the Drum2, and then adjust for ex. 20 to Drum1 and 80 to Drum2.

In the whole thing, the backing instruments should be rather dry, in case of loosing the beat. Soloinstruments on the other hand, needs a lot of reverb.
In this mode you also have volume settings for Chorus. Donīt be afraid in experimenting. When satisfied, SAVE on DISK/SAVE/TECHNICS FORMAT/PAGE 2/ALL OFF, then press COMPOSER to YES and SAVE. (Affected those who wish to save composer only. A song should be saved in Performance=Default.)

Remember that you can Mix the parts in the PME mode. You find this as an menu below the Track mixer. When in Trackmixer mode, just press Exit once or twice and youīre there. Adjust the tracks and save first with PANEL WRITE, then to disk.

When recording in composer, itīs more comfortable to decrease the tempo, record, and then speed up. Some logical thinking is also useful. Donīt change for ex. a Guitar to Strings. It will sounds very awful. Changing from Saxophone to Trumpet could get a result of wrong octave. Try to think of how the instruments sounds in real and try to be closest that.
Feel free to mail me in case of further questions. Now I must go on with my Ice-cubes...

Good Luck
Lindoz

[This message has been edited by Lindoz (edited 05-03-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Lindoz (edited 05-04-2002).]

#56166 - 05/03/02 05:52 AM Re: More tutorial for the COMPOSER
waterschip Offline

Loc: Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Hi,

a short tip for the not so clever ones as I was.

Lindoz mentioned as an example by the step record changing cymbal db2 to cymbal eb2. You see the change at that moment BUT DON'T forget to press the ok button just to the right, otherwise you can start all over again.

rgds
Wim

#56167 - 05/03/02 05:55 AM Re: More tutorial for the COMPOSER
waterschip Offline

Loc: Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by waterschip:
Hi,

a short tip for the not so clever ones as I was.

Lindoz mentioned as an example by the step record changing cymbal db2 to cymbal eb2. You see the change at that moment BUT DON'T forget to press the ok button just to the right after every change you have made, otherwise you can start all over again for the beginning.

rgds
Wim

#56168 - 05/03/02 07:24 PM Re: More tutorial for the COMPOSER
Dave Shively Offline

Loc: Calimesa, Ca, USA
Hi Lindoz,
Thanks for an excellent tutorial on the composer. Have printed it out and when time permits will give it a try. That is one of the areas of the keyboard that I haven't spent to much time. Thanks again for your time and sharing your knowledge.
Best Regards,
Dave Shively

#56169 - 05/03/02 07:45 PM Re: More tutorial for the COMPOSER
Arthur R. Jacobs Offline

Loc: Alma, Michigan, 48801 USA
Lindoz:::What a wonderful way to share your expertise. Many of us are intimidated by the composer and the sequencer. Your directions are very clear and complete. There are so many things that the instruction book just does not explain or touch on. Example: How do you lock the tempo at the same beat speed, so it will stay there under most conditions. The same for the split point, so that one is not constantly changing it to their favorite position. Keep up the good work, I print and store all your tutorials. ARJ

#56170 - 05/03/02 10:31 PM Re: More tutorial for the COMPOSER
Bud Whipple Offline

Loc: The Plantation, Leesburg, Flor...
Folks, what you're going to find when you follow Lindoz's instructions, is a whole new side to the keyboard. It's intimidating and time consuming, but once you master the basics of the composer, you will get a whole new understanding of what makes up a style, and what you can do to create one of your own. It isn't easy to create a guitar strum note by note, or any other instrument for that matter, so you also learn to appreciate the work that goes into these style creations. There are shortcuts you will learn in time that will make the job easier, but the challenge will stay the same. Coming up with your own unique style and sound will be the outcome of work and imagination. Above all, experiment and have fun!

#56171 - 05/04/02 07:11 AM Re: More tutorial for the COMPOSER
technicsplayer Offline

absolutely, you should all try these instructions to see what can be achieved.

Hi Arthur,
both the tempo and split point are in the panel memory expand mode filter. This is all explained on page 12 for tempo, just apply the same principle to every other function listed on the filter page, e.g. split point, as explained.

#56172 - 05/04/02 09:44 AM Re: More tutorial for the COMPOSER
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Hey Lindoz
This is really a great work an will be a tremendous help to all. Thank you once again for sharing your time and talents. You are appreciated.
Happy Spring in the North Country
BEBOP

#56173 - 05/04/02 12:40 PM Re: More tutorial for the COMPOSER
Anonymous
Unregistered

Another great job. I want to give this a try. Thank you.

Fran in Florida

#56174 - 05/04/02 03:30 PM Re: More tutorial for the COMPOSER
lrngkybrd Offline

Loc: Queen Creek, Arizona
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I can't wait to try this. Step by step direction is just what I need.

#56175 - 05/05/02 05:17 PM Re: More tutorial for the COMPOSER
Arthur R. Jacobs Offline

Loc: Alma, Michigan, 48801 USA
Technicsplayer: Thank you for the tip posted above. I've had the 6500 a year, and did have it programed for the split point, and volume lock-in, but I just forgot how I did it, even though it is in your book. Don't know how it lost those settings. One more question please. When you load a disk, and it loads into the All Custom feature of the Keyboard, Can I now set up the custom section as described on page 42? Seems to me everything is now in Custom and not in banks A-B-C. What I want is for that Custom Load to be in one of the 20 slots of my custom section, for permanent recall. Let not 81 years become a reason for not being able to achieve this. Thanks for your wonderful, thoughtful help. ARJ

#56176 - 05/06/02 12:36 PM Re: More tutorial for the COMPOSER
technicsplayer Offline

Hi Arthur,
Your tempo and split permanent settings: just follow page 11 and you can get them back at any time from the custom panel, without any disk loads.

If I understand you correctly, the custom style can be altered by copying to composer, changing the registrations and anything else you fancy, and copying back to custom. follow the middle of page 42 about the direction switch.

If you want to save and load a single custom this is all on page 41.

Then have a go at Lindoz's tutorial...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online