SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#56036 - 12/23/02 05:45 AM Managing 7000 Files
Anonymous
Unregistered

Have been organizing files on the SD using the 7000. After creating many many folders I find I want to change my filing system. Doing this with the 7000 is a lot of work.

Has any one used any software for a computer that reads the songs with titles instead of Technic numbers and allows moving of songs and folders on the computer.

If so, where is it available and at what cost?

Looking forward to another great year on this Forum.............Fran in Florida

#56037 - 12/23/02 07:06 AM Re: Managing 7000 Files
Anonymous
Unregistered

Did a little search on the site and found Tech Manager by Keysoftservice. Went to their site but it is mostly under construction. I am running XP. Has the software been updated for XP and if anyone has it, I would appreciate a report.

Will Technote or Tenay sell this software?

Still waiting Alec..........Fran in Florida

#56038 - 12/24/02 12:39 AM Re: Managing 7000 Files
Bert Aarts Offline

Loc: Breda, The Netherlands
Hi Fran,
I just received my KN7. Waw, what an instrument!
It looks like you have experience now in organizing files on the SD. Can you give me some advice about do's and dont's? I have a 128 SD.
Thank you in advance and a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and all the forum members.

#56039 - 12/24/02 08:55 AM Re: Managing 7000 Files
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bert,

You are right about how great the 7000 is but I do not have great experience in setting up a filing system as yet.

The problem I have had is with the custom downloads from the 7000 Web Site. They cannot be organized on the computer. What I am doing is loading each folder (20 styles) selecting those I want in Composer and then to another folder. Now they can be read and manipulated on the computer.

To archive my collection I have created folders with the same Rythm Group that is on the 7000 (8/16 Beat, Rock & Pop ect). Using the same grouping as the 7000 makes it easier for me to find a style type.

I am setting up Custom folders with a mix of styles that are not on the 7000 for playing different kinds of music.

I have separate folders for panel memories.

I like the fast load of the 7000 when you only save the necessary files and not all.

As you can see I am in a learning stage of setting up my files. Arranging the styles so they can be read on the compter makes the job a lot easier.

Each member of the Forum probably has their own way of arranging their files. It would interesting to hear how other members do their filing.

Fran in Florida

#56040 - 12/26/02 04:27 AM Re: Managing 7000 Files
Bert Aarts Offline

Fran,
Thanks for your reply. I am just in thec beginning of the learning stage and using my Christmas holiday to discover all the features of the KN7.
It would be a great idea to encourage each member of the forum to post their way of filing. We all can learn of each other, don't we?
I am looking forward to the response.
Bert

#56041 - 12/26/02 07:02 AM Re: Managing 7000 Files
Walt Meyer Offline

Loc: Silver City, NM USA
Fran,
I too am in a quandry as to how best manipulate the files on the SD card.
I play for a dinner theater and have had my KN7000 about two months and still haven't found the easiest access to my my setups.
I currently have styles (straight KN7000 styles and altered styles)and the panel memories that go with them for about 100 songs by name. But I would also like to have access to all of the KN2000, KN3000, KN5000, & Kn6500 styles that I like.
So far I haven't found the magic combination.
Manipulation of this stuff is very slow & tedious because it is really not very straightforward using the Kn7000 by itself. In fact, there are many things that that you cannot do on the SD card menu.
I agree that better software for the SD card, either an update to the KN7000, or PC software is definitely needed.
Walt

#56042 - 01/05/03 02:11 PM Re: Managing 7000 Files
Anonymous
Unregistered

From comments of other members, we do need some additional software to manage our SD files on the 7000. Hopefully Ron will come to our aid.

It takes a great deal of time filing to SD the collection that many of us have.
The way we play the instrument has a lot to do with our own individual filing system.

What I would like to hear is HOW YOU ARE ORGANIZING YOUR FILES ON SD.

Fran in Florida

#56043 - 01/06/03 02:05 PM Re: Managing 7000 Files
cees Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Hi Fran,
Also I've thinking about a certain structure on how to order/arranging my many, many song-files on the SD-card. I think I'm not the only guy who is/was wrestling with this (luxury)'problem'. I'm working with my new structure and for me it's OK. Althought I presume that everyone has his/her own way too... It too complex to write it down in this post, so I offer you to visit my homepage http://home.planet.nl/~cels Maybe I helps you or gives an idea to arrange your files. I will open my mind for other ideas..
Best regards,
Cees.

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran in Florida:

What I would like to hear is HOW YOU ARE ORGANIZING YOUR FILES ON SD.

Fran in Florida

[This message has been edited by cees (edited 01-06-2003).]

[This message has been edited by cees (edited 01-06-2003).]

#56044 - 01/06/03 03:30 PM Re: Managing 7000 Files
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
With all do respect cees, after reading "How to manage the SD Card" I am totaly lost ! So far, for me the SD card is not what it's billed as.

What is a person to do if they have over 1200 songs stored on their old Technics, and want to transfer them to the 7000?
If the 7000 had a large capacity hard drive, instead of the SD card at least we would be able to transfer files the old fashion way...floppy to hard drive...simple and sure.

After reading about it, I have come to the conclusion:

1. It's slow, tedious, difficult, and complicated to set up files on the SD Card

2. One has to buy quite a few SD Cards, which by the way, are not cheap

3. One has to buy additional software to help in setting up files on the SD

4. One has to hook up the 7000 to the computer to set up files on the SD Card
OR

5. One has to buy a reader/writer to try to orginize files for the 7000..not an easy task

Now I admit, that the old hard drive that you loaded up with floppies was a bit of a pain, but it seems to me that the SD Card is NOT an improvement, rather thus far a dissapoitment. Sometimes new is not better.

Larry Hawk

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#56045 - 01/06/03 06:24 PM Re: Managing 7000 Files
Mike Daniell Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Thanks, Cees. Good info and well presented.

Larry - hang in there - things will get better and SD cards will get cheaper. Technics went this way knowing that moderately priced high capacity SD cards will soon be available. I do advise getting an SD card reader if you don't already have one.

Mike

#56046 - 01/06/03 10:00 PM Re: Managing 7000 Files
lahawk Offline

I just suppose there is no easy way to transfer 1200 songs from one Technics, to the 7000. I'm glad I saved all the backups to floppies. I may have to do one floppy disk at a time. I did order a Panasonic reader/writer. Hope it helps
Larry Hawk

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#56047 - 01/07/03 01:08 AM Re: Managing 7000 Files
Alain Offline

Loc: De Panne , Belgium
Hello ,
I just bought the program SD Techmanager 7000 from Keysoftservice and this does a hell of a job. Transfering files,renaming files and directories,backup and restore.
Everything you need is in this program. This program is worth every penny if you have a lot of files to transfer.
Greetings,
Alain

#56048 - 01/07/03 04:36 AM Re: Managing 7000 Files
Alain Offline

Loc: De Panne , Belgium
Information on the SD Techmanager 7000.

Would you like to work with your SD card data in the most comfortable way on your Computer?

The SD-TechManager7000 is the ideale software tool to manage all the Technics data on the SD card and transfer them with the USB SD card reader/writer online.

The only requirement for the SD-TechManager7000 is the use of a USB SD card reader/writer. We propose the Panasonic SZ-CB7 because this product include the SD-Jukebox program to convert wav/mp3 files into SD card audio file format.

Your data's are sure only on the archiv!
Because of the new file and data handling system of the SD card and based on the reliable functions from the previous mamager software also the SD-TechManager7000 is a complet new pice of software.
The 3 part data handling (Audio, Song and Sound) was a bit challange for our programmers.

Backup/Restore
Compared to the freeware software "Song Manager KN7000" the SD-TechManager7000 keep all the files in the same structure and size as on the SD card. That makes it possible to handle the data very effective and quick but also allow a flexible change in structure and listings.

Tools
Apart from the Backup and Restore the "Tools" allow the above called changes of the data files. Almost all function (expect Audio) from the SD card can be prodessed easily.

- COPY Technics/Sounds
- RENAME
- MOVE Technics

- EDIT Favorites
- EDIT Song Medley
- EDIT User Play List

- DELETE
- PRINT

Interactive help
Since only very vew user read the printed owners manual we decided to add an active help system to the SD-TechManager7000.
Such a help guide lead you trough all the steps to the success. Of course you decide whether you have this help bubble or not.
Of course there is a standard help on the SD-TechManager7000 as well.

Greetings and a happy Newyear,
Alain

[This message has been edited by Alain (edited 01-07-2003).]

#56049 - 01/07/03 12:09 PM Re: Managing 7000 Files
cees Offline

Hi forumfriends,
accordingly to many replies, am I right that a list of gifts or a basic set for pleasant keyboarding with a KN7000 could look like underneath?
- A Technics keyboard KN7000 : € 3200,-
- a SZ-CB7-kit (cardreader and SD-jukebox, for handling audio and MP3 files): € 160,-
- SD Techmanager 7000 € 150,-
- 2 SD-cards 128 MB € 200,-
Total amount for this set about: € 3700,-.
And of course the joy of playing, but that is nowhere to buy
greetings
Cees

#56050 - 01/07/03 01:11 PM Re: Managing 7000 Files
kozykeys Offline

Loc: york england
Hey you guys maybe the way to do these filing transfers to the sd card is just a few at a time when you want them, for instance 1 gig at a time ,put on the card what you need for that gig about 30 songs or 1/2 hrs work ,this way you build up the card gig by gig, and have only what you really want on the card, not every old file that you have collected over the years. This obsession to have a huge amount of styles on the card all the time is really not nessessary (if that is how you spell it Walter)It becomes hoarding you can keep all the files you never use on a cd.and then if you really do need a file you can drag from the cd to the sd card.
Well thats the way i look at it!

Happy New Year
Jan

#56051 - 01/07/03 02:05 PM Re: Managing 7000 Files
Walter McLaren Offline

Loc: Borders. Scotland
NO. Walter.

#56052 - 01/07/03 02:16 PM Re: Managing 7000 Files
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi,
I've set mine up into folders on my sd card that match the keyboard ie 8 & 16 beat, 60's& 70's etc . I also created matching folders on my computer. I keep the individual .cst's that I downloaded from the kn7000 website in my computer folders. I've sorted them into ie 8 & 16 beat folder which contains sub folders for 16 beat ballads, 8 beat ballads, 8 beat rock etc. I can then manipulate and load them into the kn7000 in the configuration that I want. I've also located most of the duplicated styles. At the moment I'm creating a list of the style no's & types and their duplicates.
I've been using an inexpensive sd card reader for back up purposes, but the .cst's can be loaded individually into the kn via floppy disk and then saved in groups in kn to the sd card.

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#56053 - 01/07/03 04:33 PM Re: Managing 7000 Files
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
Larry Hawk, you have this mindset Quote: “With all do respect cees, after reading "How to manage the SD Card" I am totaly lost ! So far, for me the SD card is not what it's billed as.
What is a person to do if they have over 1200 songs stored on their old Technics, and want to transfer them to the 7000? If the 7000 had a large capacity hard drive, instead of the SD card at least we would be able to transfer files the old fashion way...floppy to hard drive...simple and sure”

With that kind of a mindset you will go nowhere. Your statement: “ at least we would be able to transfer files the old fashion way...floppy to hard drive...simple and sure” is nothing more than mouthing a falsehood. It is clear what you have been reading is not from the instructions in the manuel. Floppy to hard drive is the same only now it is floppy to SD card. Up until now when you would purchase a new KN keyboard If you wanted a hard drive you would have to pay extra and then install it. From 300 to almost seven hundred dollars extra. Now when I purchased my new KN7000 It cost me the same as I paid for my 6500 and my 5000. Thirty two hundred. But, and I say but because now I have no need to buy a hard drive. There is a SD chip built into the machine at no extra cost. The card that came with it I have yet to fill up. If I had hundred and hundreds of midi files I might have to get another card. I could get a much bigger card for less than a C note. If you feel the new system is expensive you got your information in error. The purchase of some of the things you might need for large amounts of information is miniscule in cost compared to a hard drive. From what you say I’ll bet you don’t have a 7000 and are just repeating some of the things others are saying. I do not have a problem what so ever with my SD card to date. Of course I do not store all of the older KN styles either. I have downloaded them all and then gleaned them for what I have determined worthy. Worthy for the type of music I play and also most of them do not come near to being as good as the new ones. Only those I let reside on my hard disk and now my SD card. The balance of them have a resting place on my computer to maybe at a later date be resurrected. I look at the problem of organizing all this stuff like I look at developing a new data base program. The first thing to do is form a plan. Plan what you want to accomplish. Write it down. Next construct your data base on paper. Think the thing through. Only then start to put it together for a trial run. Just samples of what the final thing will look like. After a few adjustments to correct any flaws then and only then enter all the files. My mindset on most of the projects I tackle is: Keep it simple stupid! I would venture to say most people could throw out 8o% of the things they accumulate and have stored in their basements, closets and hardrive or SD cards. Keep it simple is the way I think and the way I act. Of course that is what Ruthie always bugs me with. What you got all them stinking keyboards for??? What are you going to do with all them old saxes, clarinets and accordions? Ruthie remember, granddads, lots of granddads. They might just take after old gramps. I hope not, oh, I hope not says Ruth as she throws her dust cloth on the couch as she walks into the kitchen to make supper. Guess I will have a little talk with myself one of these days.

Grandpa Doug

#56054 - 01/07/03 11:12 PM Re: Managing 7000 Files
lahawk Offline

Jeez..I feel like I've just been scolded, rapped in the knuckles with a ruler, a dunce cap put upon my head, and forced to sit in the corner.

Do I get detention too ?
Or
can I transfer to Public School...oh wait..I'm back in the '50's again. Sorry

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#56055 - 01/08/03 07:43 AM Re: Managing 7000 Files
Anonymous
Unregistered

Cees,
Thought I had all the Great Keyboard Sites in my Favorites. How could I have missed yours. I like your explanation of the filing system and will use some of your recommendations for my filing system (upper/lower case use for alpha search, great idea).

Alain,
Hate to spend the money for the Keysoft Progam but in the long run it will be worth it. Apreciate Alec and your recommendation. Will try my SanDisk reader with USB 2 connection before purchasing the Panasonic Reader.

Doug,
I agree with you in your comparison with the SD/7000 and the 6/6500 with hardrive. The SD/7000 is a winner. The new technolgy is wonderful but the software from Technics is lacking.
I have been in management for most of my working years and making a plan is second nature. I seek input from others to enhance my filing system.

All Members,
I thank you for your great input and I am sure most of us has gained something postitve from this exchange.....I sure did.

Fran in Florida

#56056 - 01/08/03 07:52 AM Re: Managing 7000 Files
Bert Aarts Offline

It is good to see the number of responses in this topic because it confirms to me that I am not the only one looking for the best filing system. a poor manual results in a lot of inteeresting contacts between owners. "Every disadvantage has its advantage", our famous football player Johan Cruyff once said.

Rikki,
The way you have set up yours is exactly the way I intend to do it. It would be most helpfull if you could send me your list of style no's & types and their duplicates.
Thanks in advance,
Bert

#56057 - 01/09/03 03:12 PM Re: Managing 7000 Files
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Bert,
I've actually managed to sort my styles, but I've got my parents staying for holidays for a few days, so it's stopped me from completing the list on my spreadsheet. After playing through them again, I've realized even though there are quite a few duplicates, they don't sound 100% the same, possibly due to different instruments, so I decided to keep them in too. I'll probably place it on file at the yahoo kn7000 user group so anyone who wants it can download it. Maybe a few days though before it's ready.

best wishes
Rikki
Quote:
Originally posted by Bert Aarts:
It is good to see the number of responses in this topic because it confirms to me that I am not the only one looking for the best filing system. a poor manual results in a lot of inteeresting contacts between owners. "Every disadvantage has its advantage", our famous football player Johan Cruyff once said.

Rikki,
The way you have set up yours is exactly the way I intend to do it. It would be most helpfull if you could send me your list of style no's & types and their duplicates.
Thanks in advance,
Bert

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#56058 - 01/09/03 03:16 PM Re: Managing 7000 Files
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Bert,
I've actually managed to sort my styles, but I've got my parents staying for holidays for a few days, so it's stopped me from completing the list on my spreadsheet. After playing through them again, I've realized even though there are quite a few duplicates, they don't sound 100% the same, possibly due to different instruments, so I decided to keep them in too. I'll probably place it on file at the yahoo kn7000 user group so anyone who wants it can download it. Maybe a few days though before it's ready.

best wishes
Rikki
Quote:
Originally posted by Bert Aarts:

Rikki,
Thanks in advance,
Bert

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#56059 - 01/10/03 12:10 PM Re: Managing 7000 Files
rmcouat Offline

Loc: Vancouver BC Canada
Hi Fran,

I have actually figured out most of what is going on with how files are laid out on the disk and the .INF file just where the folders are located. I even managed to figure out the layout of the 16 bit flags field just after the name used to refer to the song and the name on disk fields. It is a binary map of what files are present - Panel memory, sequencer, etc.

The problem I have is I am working about 50-60 hours a week right now - traveled form Vancouver to Houston this week to work for 3 days. I need a little down time to be able to write the software for this unless someone else is already writing it in which case I may be wasting my time. I estimate it would take a couple of good solid weeks to write something I could be proud of for managing the files and be useable by anyone.

Ron

#56060 - 01/10/03 01:16 PM Re: Managing 7000 Files
cees Offline

Hi Ron,
in my curiousity I'm examining the inf-file too. (the results I'v published on my homepage). Especially I'm interested in the last 2/4 digits(****) after the songname+001KN7(****). I'v discovered the meaning most of the hexidecimal codes of the files the keyboard uses, as you memorized. E.g. the *.sqt, the *.tm files and the codes which belong to the way you saved the files (saving, page 2). Maybe it is helpful to you to know. When I'm ready with this I will let you know if you're interested.
My skills on this item is pure curiousity. I'm not a programmer or something. What I got to do with this I don't know yet. The only thing I discovered is when I change the songnames in a hexeditor and saves it on the SD-card-inf.file, these figures are imported to change. Otherwise the keyboard gives an error-statement. That's why I'm interested in the good digits.
I think when you could succeed in making a 'program' for easily copying, changing and renaming etc., many forummers would be very, very grateful to you.
Best regards and success,
Cees.

[This message has been edited by cees (edited 01-10-2003).]

#56061 - 01/10/03 02:27 PM Re: Managing 7000 Files
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ron,
I know all members appreciate any help you can muster. At the same time we understand it is not a simple task.

Cees,
Your filing system tips has been a big help in organizing mine and I would hope those with a filing problem would print out your system and give it a try. Good learning experience for us new to the SD's large storage capacity.

thanks to both of you,

Fran in Florida

#56062 - 01/11/03 05:31 PM Re: Managing 7000 Files
Mel Trevey Offline

Loc: Ft Myers, Fl, USA
Hi Fran..Here is a system I have used professionally for years....Since the Sx3
used a five digit code it was simple to
set up the KN7000.....the following will
show the different categories of styles.
You can expand or contract to fit your situation...the first thing you need to do
is figure out how many codes you need within each categoriy....
Since you use a four digit code the
first two digits identify a style category, the 3rd and 4th digits specific style names.
Here are the categoris I use:
01 through 04 Big Band/Swing
05 & 06 Ballads
07 Shuffle/Boogie
08Jazz
09 Fox Trot/Jive/Stride/Bebop
10 Dixie
11 Ragtime
12 Blues/Gospel
13/14/15 Country
16/17/18 Rock/Contempory
19/20/21 Latin
22 Line
23 March/Polkas
24 Show
25 Ethnic/Irish
26/27/28 Waltz
29 Christmas
30 Hawaiian

The first two also can identify a folder
with appropriate description as above

Since I have Macintosh system and
Technics have forsakken Macintosh owners I don't have to worry about a lot of
the problems I see PC owners get involved with.....My main use of the keyboard is to Play Music on gigs using
styles and playing live.....

I use a 128 mb SD card and have several hundred styles set up....I did it the hard
way one style at a time...

Long before the 7000 I set up most of the 6000 styles in the composer and
saved them to floppys.....Since my music
was coded with the 6000 5 digit codes
I merely dropped the leading zeros .

After I loaded all the 6000 styles in the
7000 I actually played gigs using the 6000styles in the 7000. Then as time
permitted I started setting up the 7000
styles and identified them in the description as KN7......Also got some small colored stickers and marked them
with the KN 7000 codes plus Tempo plus
style description and Intro and ending.

Hope this helps...Mel in Florida
hundred styles set up

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online