SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#556 - 01/29/05 12:31 AM equiptment needed to make a recording and cd of my performance?
Marjorie Semensow Offline

Loc: Indio, Ca. ...
Please help.
I'm a newby and surely could use some help.
I have no idea how to go about finding the
right way to make a recording of my performance. Where do you go - to a recording studio,music store? I need a CD along with my flyer's to get some "Gigs" with my KN7000.
What sort of equiptment is necessary to
occomplish this?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Marjorie

#557 - 01/29/05 02:17 AM Re: equiptment needed to make a recording and cd of my performance?
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
You need to record your keyboard by plugging the audio outputs from the keyboard to the audio inputs on your PC soundcard. You will probably need an adapter to do this so you can plug 1/4 inch phono jack(s) into your keyboard and then plug that into the stereo mini jack on the input of your computer soundcard. Radio Shack or similar electronic stores have converters for a few $ that will let you do this. Then you need to record using software ( even using the Windows soundrecorder program that comes with Windows will work ) by putting it in record mode and playing on your keyboard while it is recording. You may have to try it a few times just to get the volume levels right. Once you have recorded the whole song then save it as a .WAV file. Then do the same again for each song you want to record. Then PC CD burning software can take those .WAV files and burn them as tracks on a CD. That's about it. It may take a little trial and error to get the levels right.

#558 - 02/16/05 01:46 PM Re: equiptment needed to make a recording and cd of my performance?
Pennywizz6 Offline

Loc: Shakopee, MN, USA
Do what Nigel said with the 1/4 and plug that into your sound card. You will want a recording program (I use cool edit pro and love it). Then you will want to play your song on your board. Record in layers if you can. It just gives you the upper hand when you add effects. You will want to use a mixer along with it to get the EQ's right. When its complete just save as an mp3 or whatever and your done.

Phil

#559 - 02/17/05 07:30 AM Re: equiptment needed to make a recording and cd of my performance?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Marjorie ... Along with the above, I offer this ... I just purchased an Alesis Multi Mix 6 FX (it's stereo)for $99 that does a great job... plug the kb (I have a kn-6000) into the mixer and the mixer out to a stereo adapter into the PC sound card ... Depending on the recording software you may have to go into the PC 'Control Panel' and change the speaker controls to 'record' ...
Using the mixer gives great flexibility for eq, especially if you are also doing vocals ... If so, I also recommend laying down the kb track first, then a vocal track ....
good luck, and have fun ...
t.

#560 - 02/23/05 02:00 AM Re: equiptment needed to make a recording and cd of my performance?
Sheriff Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
Hi Marjorie!

If you record your synth make sure that you do it in stereo. It's a good choice to take a mixer for doing this job because of its equalization abilities. I'm likewise doing it.

A good choice for recording software is for example Nero Media Player (it came as a part of Nero Burning ROM bundle). Nero Burning ROM includes many useful utilities to analize and normalize audio tracks before getting burned on a CD. Even a cover editor is part of this software.
Another alternative seems to be Win on CD. But in my personally studio plans there is no place for MS software (excluding Windows itself)... ;-)

------------------
Greetings from Frankfurt (Germany),
Sheriff ;-)

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online