SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#55963 - 06/01/03 10:15 PM Technic Song files
Eric Marsh Offline

Loc: Wanganui,New Zealand
Can anyone please inform me if there is any part of a Tech song file in SMF format. If so, can it be extracted for editing in a software program. TIA

#55964 - 06/02/03 07:53 AM Re: Technic Song files
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
You going to reply first Alec or shall I (chuckle....)
Oh all right then I'll have a go...
What you can do is convert SMF files to Technics style files using a piece of software called Style works Professional which you would have to buy (over £100) from EMC a german company - type any of those words into Yahoo search engine and it'll take you to their web site.
Sometimes it produces brilliant results sometimes not so good - there's been a fair bit written on it in the past.
Good luck
Roger M

#55965 - 06/02/03 02:09 PM Re: Technic Song files
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Eric,
not sure I understand your question correctly . Are you asking if a technics song can be turned into a smf so that it can edited in an external sequencer?
best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by Eric Marsh:
Can anyone please inform me if there is any part of a Tech song file in SMF format. If so, can it be extracted for editing in a software program. TIA

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#55966 - 06/03/03 03:38 AM Re: Technic Song files
Eric Marsh Offline

Thank you Roger. I had this expensive program some years ago when I bought the new Kn5K. It was Technics Works pro for Kn Style works+ Kn song convert. Things have moved on since win95(which this program was for)but having paid EMC site a visit they don't seem to have moved on from the days of the Kn5K - not even to 6k Thanks anyway.
Eric

#55967 - 06/03/03 03:49 AM Re: Technic Song files
Eric Marsh Offline

Yes Rikki, that is more or less correct. Iam referring specifically to the ACP, pads, 4 variations, chords. They are all musical sounds built into the machine by the manufacturer. Can they be converted to midi. The EMC software was designed with this in mind but it seems out of date!
Eric

#55968 - 06/03/03 11:04 AM Re: Technic Song files
technicsplayer Offline

a bit of confusion here.

The EMC does a good job of converting a midi song into a Technics style. It can save a Technics style as a midi file for editing in any pc program, most efficiently in cubase, but could never convert a Technics preset style song into a midi song. A separate program, the Song Converter can convert songs between the older pre 5k Technics formats and also revoice midi files to Technics format, but again cannot convert a preset style/pad song into a midi song.

Before the 6k I simply played the sequence into the pc to create a full midi file with all preset parts. Since the 6k this function has been possible internally using the apc to smf convert function. Any live played part of a song can be saved as a midi and then edited externally. Any preset style/pad/chord sequence can be converted to spare tracks internally and then edited externally in the same way.

#55969 - 06/03/03 04:43 PM Re: Technic Song files
Eric Marsh Offline

Efficiently clarified Alec!
The? then is: Will the EMC's program for the 5k do the same "good job" for the 7k?
Perhaps I should explain that because of hands disability, I can no longer play music and so have learned the laborious technic of making it, using step time sequencing, first with the capacity limits in the 2K and then in Cakewalk.
B-i-a-b has algorithmic programmed chord-based arrangements in which each track (instrument) can be opened,notated and then edited,finishing up with a midi/audio "Sibelius" type orchestral score.
I had hoped the far superior preset arrangements of 7k may have been similarly open-ended(no trade secrets!)

#55970 - 06/03/03 09:59 PM Re: Technic Song files
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Eric,
if I understand correctly, are you trying to turn a KN7 song into a midifile so you can edit and enhance it in your computer.
The Kn7 songs can be turned into midifiles including using the nx voices.
If so

Record Song
Press COPY PASTE
Press APC to SMF
Pick the song parts & tracks
Press Convert
Press Disk Save
Save as SMF
I turn
Panel Header on
1 Measure space on
Save as NX

That should hopefully give you a midifile of your song. Save it as a Technic song first as I don't think the above can be undone.

I'm going away for a few days, so if you can't make sense of what I wrote I'm sure Alex or one of the members will be able to help you.
Knowing me, I've probably misunderstood the question ( heehee)

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#55971 - 06/04/03 03:37 AM Re: Technic Song files
technicsplayer Offline

the EMC still saves in 5k format, which loads relatively fine in the 7k, but has the disadvantage of losing 6 fills and 4 intros and endings for minor keys and 8 measures compared to 7k format. It is still substantially the same as the version you had, but has improved functions for mainly conversions and style editing with bug fixes, rather than anything concrete to help in this particular job you are after. The latest universal 32 bit version is 1.78.

The 7k will do excellent step record work in composer and pad with better features than most I can think of, but there is no workstation period that can really compete with band in a box at the end of a mouse for creation efficiency if not playing in live. Although once you have your style, step chord recording on the KN is as easy as biab. It is easier to record composer and pad into the sequencer and edit with the graphic piano note display, than with the asterisk displays in their respective editing screens, but it all depends how big the job is as to which is faster.

What I still ocasionally do with biab 12 is make styles in C major, save as midi then copy from sequencer to composer in the KN and revoice - works fine. Alternatively if you have created in the KN and want to micro-edit outside, just record straight measures of each variation etc in C major, apc convert, save as midi, load and edit externally, save as midi, load into KN and sequencer to composer copy, revoice - works fine.

#55972 - 06/04/03 03:13 PM Re: Technic Song files
Eric Marsh Offline

Very many thanks Rikky & Alec. I need to study both.
What you didn't mention Alec was this £270 program which I bought from Technote in July 1998 was for Win 95. Will it operate with Win 98SE? If not is there a less expensive upgrade?? TIA

#55973 - 06/04/03 04:26 PM Re: Technic Song files
technicsplayer Offline

yes, the 16 bit version ran in 98se, occasionally with a bug but no real problem. It could be worth mailing EmcSoftware@aol.com with your version number and asking if they have a free upgrade to a later version, I think the last 16 bit version of technics kn works professional was 2.64

#55974 - 06/06/03 03:08 PM Re: Technic Song files
Eric Marsh Offline

Final thread from EMC:
"You can upgrade to the new version for US$116. The problem with KN6k/7k is still the coded file format and the lack of support from Technics Japan, so regretably we are still limited to Kn5k"
(trade secrets & no free lunches pertain)
Thanks again Roger, Rikki, Alec for your help(I might get more from Larry G's Tutoria)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online