SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#55748 - 03/16/02 09:26 AM Re: KN7000 revealed at Frankfurt show officially.
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
Aside from all the technological improvements on the 7000, I'd like to hear more about how it sounded. I realize a convention demo is not like playing it in one's home---and that the internal speakers where not used. However, from those in attendance, what was the first impression on hearing it? Was it a quantum leap beyond the 6500? Or, was it closer to what we're used to hearing with the 6000/6500? Were you shocked, surprised, astounded, or was it about what one would have expected? Were there noticeable or obvious improvements in sound quality?

#55749 - 03/16/02 10:53 AM Re: KN7000 revealed at Frankfurt show officially.
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
What's a "sea change" ?

#55750 - 03/16/02 11:09 AM Re: KN7000 revealed at Frankfurt show officially.
Johnnie.c Offline

Loc: England
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
What's a "sea change" ?

It's like an oil change but only water
you know like when you stand on a beach & the tide comes in,then the sea changes & then it goes out.

#55751 - 03/16/02 11:46 AM Re: KN7000 revealed at Frankfurt show officially.
Chuck Piper Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi Dave,

"Sea change" is an expression often used used to describe a COMPLETE change, for example: in the context of keyboards - a keyboard that has been totally redesigned from scratch. I used the expression in my post to say simply that I am not in the market at this time for another keyboard that is fundamentally the same as the keyboard I already have. Technics has taken existing technology and incorporated it into the KN7000 e.g., the USB port, larger flash memory etc., and has changed the speaker arrangement added some new sounds and so on. I class these as add-ons to an already super keyboard. They are nice to have, but in no way do they constitute a brand new approach to the design of arranger keyboards. So, I am saying I will keep my upgraded KN6000 for a few more years until that "sea change" in the design of arranger keyboards occurs. It is likely that I will have a very long wait because the technological changes in keyboards are most often evolutionary rather than revolutionary. Take care, Dave.

Best Regards, Chuck

#55752 - 03/16/02 12:04 PM Re: KN7000 revealed at Frankfurt show officially.
Brian Goodison Offline

Loc: Bridlington. East Yorkshire.En...
Thank you Alec for your in depth report
and thank you Walt for giving Alec the "Platform" on which to do it

Regards

Brian

#55753 - 03/16/02 01:48 PM Re: KN7000 revealed at Frankfurt show officially.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank from across the ditch........

Fran in Florida

#55754 - 03/16/02 04:09 PM Re: KN7000 revealed at Frankfurt show officially.
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Alec,

Thanks for the GREAT report. Wonderful news to hear that the KN7000 will support SD (secure digital) memory cards. Actually not that surprising considering Panasonic Matsushita is the company that developed SD cards in the first place. I hear that SD memory cards (about the size of a postage stamp) can hold up to 512 mg of data. With USB support, data transfer back and forth between the PC computer & KN7000 will be a LOT faster than currently possible with the TechManger's parrallel interface system. Alec, do you know if a desktop PC software: 'KN7000 data management software utility program' will be included with the KN7000, or will that have to be purchased separately? Will Technics be producing & supporting the software, or will they be farming this out again to a third party company such as Keysoft Service?

Sounds like the sounds in the final mix presentation demo you heard were impressive. Alec, were you able to discern the quality of any specific sounds individually? I'm curious to find out if the piano patch or any other paticular one(s) were a 'stand out'. Is the KN7000 sampling rate and/or length of the samples any higher than on the KN6500? Curious if you thought the KN7000's sounds are different (more advanced?) then the KN6500, which is already terrific sounding.

I'm also interested to find out if the KN7000 supports Technics format file to standard midi file conversion (including the accompaniment tracks)? This would allow KN7000 owners to share their songs (midi format) with people who don't own a Technics keyboard, as well as allow you to edit your Technics KN7000 created songs in an external midi sequencer such as Cakewalk Sonar or Cubase.

I also like the KN7000's 'Starship Enterprise' design cocept. Since my audiences are already wanting me to 'beam them up', it sounds like the KN7000 may be the perfect next Keyboard for me. - Scotty
http://scottyee.com

#55755 - 03/16/02 07:47 PM Re: KN7000 revealed at Frankfurt show officially.
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
Scott,

You asked:
"Alec, do you know if a desktop PC software: 'KN7000 data management software utility program' will be included with the KN7000, or will that have to be purchased separately? Will Technics be producing & supporting the software, or will they be farming this out again to a third party company such as Keysoft Service?"

It seems to me that if you can just drag and drop stuff to and from the KN7000 memory via USB while at the PC, that this would suffice for both file transfer and for data backup. If the PC sees the KN7000 as just another disk, I don't think any special software would be needed. Stuff like we have on the KN5000 hard disk like File Load Scripts may or may not be a part of the KN7000.

#55756 - 03/16/02 09:33 PM Re: KN7000 revealed at Frankfurt show officially.
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Bob,

Geez, what was I thinking? What you said makes perfect sense. No additional software required. YIPEE !

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online