SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#5547 - 12/12/05 03:26 PM Re: Amplification/ Speakers ???
cyp770 Offline

Loc: UK
Hi Sonic ... it depends on what I'm asked ... that is I need to be flexible to accommodate different requests ... either a one-man band (keyboard) w/out vocals, sometimes with vocals, sometimes need to put through additional drummer & perhaps trumpet or clarinet ... get the idea?

Thanks
Izzy

#5548 - 12/14/05 10:23 AM Re: Amplification/ Speakers ???
TheSonicEnergyAuthority Offline

Loc: Peterborough,Cambridgeshire,UK
Well, sounds like a job for a 'speakers-on-a-stick' along with at least one sub bass cab.

I'm thinking along the lines of the Mackie MR450's (or simular) which on there own sound fine - so would be ideal for a small minimal situation.
Then when required the sub cab used when you need more 'humph'.

Anything bigger might be a job for a local hire company to handle.

There's been disussion about the Bose PAS on one of the newsgroups I watch. Basically - best avoid! Anyone singing their prases may well work of Bose, or a music suppier trying to shift the things.
I'm not dismissing Bose, I started my with a an 802 system with the bass bins. Would be still an ideal system today (if you can afford it). The PAS personally doesn't cut the mustard.

Try before you buy...

#5549 - 12/18/05 06:14 AM Re: Amplification/ Speakers ???
cyp770 Offline

Quote:

Try before you buy...

[/B]

thats the hard bit ... getting various different makes side by side, otherwise you cant really compare, right?

Also, you mention Mackie or similar, but it that range their are quite a number of choices (makes, size e.g. 12" or 15" for more bass etc.).

Thanks, You're right on now with what were lookiong for,
Izzy

#5550 - 12/18/05 03:38 PM Re: Amplification/ Speakers ???

Well if your local suppiler will not let you try out a system your interested in, perhaps you could 'hire' it from some else to see if it's up to the job.

I've been out twice this weekend.
First night I wasn't happy with the sound (speakers in the corners, behind the band. Not ideal!) I was beginning to think the rig was showing it's age.
Sounded fine last night.

As you've got keyboards to put though them, I think you are going to need at least 15" bass drivers to handle the lows keyboards's throw out. If it was just vocals, 12" would be fine.

I saw a ad on ebay reciently, "selling all our PA gear, as we are now using a Bose PAS", so it appears that these systems are avaiable in the UK. Still have my doubts about them, but I could be proved wrong.

#5551 - 12/19/05 02:06 AM Re: Amplification/ Speakers ???
cyp770 Offline

Hi Sonic ... its not so much that the dealer wont let try them out but rather finding a dealer who has that large choice to choose from ... your idea of hiring them out is a good one even though lengthy, but hey I'm not in a massive rush ... prefer getting best quality - power and clarity - and not having to think about it again.

I think I'm going to do some research into those Bose Pas ...

Interesting you mention speakers behind band, thats a very important point to discuss ... as I am more comfortable to hear the exact same sound as the audience would be hearing, even though it can be difficult geting the right angle on them especially to avoid feedback from a mic ... but I know others believe they should be in front of stage and having to get extra monitor for self/band

... is there a right/wrong way?

thanx,
Izzy

#5552 - 12/19/05 04:45 AM Re: Amplification/ Speakers ???
Craig_UK Offline

I used to use a pair of EV SX500's and a Martin Audio Bass Bin, however for 1 person to lift all the time it used to crease me by the end of the night. I now use a pair of Mackie SRM450's (think that's the make as I'm not in front of them at the mo).
These are spot on and for vocals and keyboards they are crystal clear.
I also take the bass bin out for larger venues only.
Mackie, EV, Martin Audio all good stuff.

#5553 - 12/19/05 10:43 AM Re: Amplification/ Speakers ???

Izzy,

The normal aproach is to have the cabs slightly forward of the band, as you will get more gain before feedback into the vocal microphones. Monitors give the vocalist something to hear, and still feedback, but at least you can eq the sound to compromise without effecting the sound the people hear (which is the problem I had Friday).

These Bose(Bring Own Sound Equipment?)
I did notice that thier Web site features a band using them (all smiling of course because thier living in 'advertland'), but I don't see any mics on the drum kit.
scratch that, I can see a mic stand - bugger.
They offer a 45 day trial (I'm guessing you have to be in the US for this), but Bose UK has nothing about these systems.
I might be worth contacting them perhaps they might be getting them real soon.
BTW I would fit into the "too much gear" catergory.

[This message has been edited by TheSonicEnergyAuthority (edited 12-19-2005).]

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online