SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#55524 - 04/22/05 11:29 AM joining keyboards through midi
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi All.
I am just wondering what is the best way to midi the kn7 to another keyboard with the kn7 to be the master keyboard.
Is it better have the slave as the lower keyboard or the upper keyboard?
Would it be better to have a keyboard without any of it's own on board sounds?
Your experiences with a set up of this kind would be appreciated.

Reagrds
Peter B.

#55525 - 04/23/05 02:58 AM Re: joining keyboards through midi
manorcourt1991 Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Hi Peter,

The best arrangement will depend on what you are hoping to achieve with your additional keyboard.
In my case I wanted to combine the organ sound capabilities of the KN with the practical advantages of a 2 manual organ with a full pedalboard.
To achieve this I added a 61-note MIDI controller keyboard (no built in sounds) and a 30-note MIDI pedalboard feeding the output of both of these via a MIDI merge unit to the KN7000 MIDI input.
This configuration will not work with the KN7000 MIDI input in the Bass Pedal mode.
It should also be noted that by definition a MIDI controller keyboard of this type can’t be a slave.
For this arrangement the controller keyboard is best placed below the KN to minimise vertical spacing between the keyboards. The controller keyboard I chose was the Miditech MT-61. It has 61 velocity sensitive keys, but no after touch or split. You can create virtual splits by making use of the KN7000 sound edit capability. The MT-61 was primarily chosen as it was a low cost unit readily available in Australia and its low profile allowed reasonably close vertical spacing (approx. 105mm) between it and the KN6000 with which it was originally installed. The MT-61 build quality and key feel is well below Technics standards but in 3 years has not given me any trouble. The advent of the KN7000 with its additional organ sounds and 128-note polyphony was a welcome improvement. Utilising the KN7000 design and modifying the MT-61 allowed me to reduce the vertical spacing between the keyboards to less than 70 mm. If I were repeating the exercise now and I could source one in Australia I would probably use a Studiologic Fatar SL-161 Pro controller keyboard. This has aftertouch and 2-channel output allowing splits and layering. Another option is the Roland A37 with its better build quality, 76 notes and dual split capability. On the negative side it is larger and considerably more expensive.
My complete system is too complex to fully detail here but I am happy to provide more information directly to you or any other member who would like it.

Hope this helps.
Len C.

PS If Scott Yee can tell me how he incorporated the photos in his excellent East Coast Jam report I might be able to include a photo of my setup here.

[This message has been edited by manorcourt1991 (edited 04-23-2005).]

#55526 - 04/23/05 11:14 AM Re: joining keyboards through midi
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Len.

Thanks for your reply, that is a great help,
will keep you posted, when I go ahead and how I get on with it.

Regards
Peter B

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online