SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#55384 - 01/18/05 05:09 AM Re: The Music Played . . . . .
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
In answer to your questions :

1. With the exception of the 'Vibraslap' sound, which was inserted using 'Step Record', everything was played 'Live' using the Easy Record method.

2. Left hand played live using Auto Play Chord.

3. All Panel Memory changes were carried out using a 4 bank footswitch.

As far as key signatures are concerned, I generally just choose a key which sounds right to my ear, for the particular mix of sounds which I have chosen for the song. The only version of this song which I have heard, is a recording by 'The Carpenters', which I have in my LP collection. Their version is in F minor.
I chose to play the song in A minor because having limited keyboard skills, I find this an easy key in which to play - particularly since I play everything by ear. I then used the Transpose function to move the pitch a little lower, effectively moving the key to G minor.

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#55385 - 01/18/05 08:51 AM Re: The Music Played . . . . .
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Norrie:
In answer to your questions :

1. With the exception of the 'Vibraslap' sound, which was inserted using 'Step Record', everything was played 'Live' using the Easy Record method.

2. Left hand played live using Auto Play Chord.

3. All Panel Memory changes were carried out using a 4 bank footswitch.

As far as key signatures are concerned, I generally just choose a key which sounds right to my ear, for the particular mix of sounds which I have chosen for the song. The only version of this song which I have heard, is a recording by 'The Carpenters', which I have in my LP collection. Their version is in F minor.
I chose to play the song in A minor because having limited keyboard skills, I find this an easy key in which to play - particularly since I play everything by ear. I then used the Transpose function to move the pitch a little lower, effectively moving the key to G minor.

This guy Willum (ORB), who is one of our finest keyboard players still likes to insist he is not a keyboard player but in fact is a drummer.
Now if you can believe that, I have a nice shinny Golden Bridge for sale real cheap
Bebop

#55386 - 01/18/05 10:23 AM Re: The Music Played . . . . .
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Hey Bebop
What say we really put him - Willum - to the test in April...
We need to think of something really awkward to play full of diminished chords and flat minor 5ths etc...
Chuckle
Hey Willum - it's getting closer.....just got to dig out my flying stockings if I can find them!
Rog

#55387 - 01/18/05 11:43 AM Re: The Music Played . . . . .
Bill Norrie Offline

Problem.... How do you play a diminished chord or flat minor fifth on a drum kit ?? I wonder how much I'll be charged for excessive baggage on my drum kit??

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley

#55388 - 01/18/05 12:51 PM Re: The Music Played . . . . .
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bill Norrie:
How do you play a diminished chord or flat minor fifth on a drum kit.

Hi Bill.
I am struggling with a Pregnant 5th. Any help!
The MP3 recording of Old Cape Cod, You kindly sent me!
I enjoyed it; you did not say you played by ear, that makes the playing more
Enjoyable. I can, most of the time, detect if a tune is played by ear. Some chords
Don’t quite sound right. You fooled me old son. I tried eating
Spaghetti with drum sticks, Difficult. See you soon.
Joe.

#55389 - 01/19/05 01:10 AM Re: The Music Played . . . . .
Khai Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
Dear Bill (Willum),

Could you please kindly elaborate on what you meant by "All Panel Memory changes were carried out using a 4 bank footswitch"?

Thank you.

Khai

#55390 - 01/19/05 01:27 AM Re: The Music Played . . . . .
Khai Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil Lynch:

Hi Bill.
I am struggling with a Pregnant 5th. Any help!
The MP3 recording of Old Cape Cod, You kindly sent me!
I enjoyed it; you did not say you played by ear, that makes the playing more
Enjoyable. I can, most of the time, detect if a tune is played by ear. Some chords
Don’t quite sound right. You fooled me old son. I tried eating
Spaghetti with drum sticks, Difficult. See you soon.
Joe.

Phil, you do have a wicked sense of humour, at times.

Bill, I prefer my drum sticks skinless. There is no hurry to pile up more around my love handles. For sheer size and force, go for those of the flightless emu down under.

[This message has been edited by Khai (edited 01-19-2005).]

#55391 - 01/19/05 05:33 AM Re: The Music Played . . . . .
Bill Norrie Offline

With reference to : 'All Panel Memory changes were carried out using a 4 bank footswitch.'

The KN7000 has a facility for connection of 2 individual footswitches, via 1/4 inch jack sockets and a foot controller module which has 4 footswitches, via an 8 pin DIN socket.

These switches can be configured within the KN7000 operating system, to trigger a large number of functions such as Panel Memory Increment/Decrement, Rhythm Start/Stop, Intro/Ending, Fill-Ins, Sustain On/Off, Glide, Technichord On/Off, Rotary Tremelo Fast/Slow (for some Organ sounds) etc.

The particular functions assigned by the user to the footswitches, can be saved within the KN memory and combined with 'Song' data, when saved to SD card or disc. The option to save footswitch settings should be enabled, in the Panel Memory 'Expand' mode.

Using the footswitches to change the configuration of the keyboard, during live performance, means that you do not have to take your hands away from the playing keys, to change parameters.

I use both the individual footswitches and the bank of 4 module and normally have them set up as follows :
Individual
Footswitch 1 : Start/Stop
Footswitch 2 : Intro/Ending 2
4 Switch Module
Switch 1 : Fade Out
Switch 2 : Panel Memory Decrement
Switch 3 : Panel Memory Increment
Switch 4 : Technichord On/Off

------------------
Willum

Aldous Huxley

#55392 - 01/19/05 06:25 AM Re: The Music Played . . . . .
Anonymous
Unregistered

Willum,

I will be bringing my 7000 to the East Coast Jam for your use. I also use 4 + 2 foot switches and will bring them along for your use.

Fran in Florida

#55393 - 01/19/05 06:31 AM Re: The Music Played . . . . .
Khai Offline

Dear Bill,

Thank you very much for the edification. May I suppose that the foot controller module fitted with 4 foot switches is actually sold separately?

Khai

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online