SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#55353 - 05/05/03 09:03 PM Transitions via chord sequences
Ted Rose Offline

Loc: United States
Hello again my musical expert friends! As many (most?) of you know, I am an amateur keyboard player who has only a basic knowledge of music but I play basically "by ear" (although I CAN recognize chords by their names). That is to say that I can hear the song I want to play in my head and somehow--don't ask me how, I don't know!! --my fingers seem to know what chords to play (usually). Anyway, my favorite keys (and the easiest for me to play and improvise) are F, Eb and Ab. Now, my question to the musicians in our midst: when I want to play a medley of songs and move from one song in say the key of F to the next one in the key of Eb or Ab (or vice versa), what sequence of chords can I play to move smoothly from one key to the next? I know that usually a dominant 7th chord leads back to a root, but if I end one song on its root (e.g. F or F major 7 or F major 6) and the next song begins in another key (e.g. Eb), can I just play the dominant 7th in the new key as a transition? I would prefer to be able to play a sequence of chords that move me from the one key to the next that includes more than just one chord. So, there is my query; I hope it makes sense and you musical experts can help me and not think this is a dumb question. Right now I generally just play my song, end it, either using an original ending or one of the great 7000 endings built in to the rhythm I am using, and then simply pause before beginning the next song in another key. (If I play two or more songs in the SAME key, however, I have no trouble transitioning from one to the next.) I hope I have made this clear and that someone can help me as I gain more and more experience and pleasure from this great instrument that makes even me sound good!!! Thanks everyone!

Ted

[This message has been edited by Ted Rose (edited 05-05-2003).]

#55354 - 05/05/03 11:54 PM Re: Transitions via chord sequences
Poul-Henning Offline

Loc: Tjaereborg, Denmark
Hi Ted.
Just from thinking - so don't hang me up - I would say:
You end your tune with F, then F7, Bb, then Bb7 (or Bb+) and then Eb.
If you go further: Eb7 - Ab.
This is one way of doing it, but there are lots of others using more advanced chords; but to get started
Good luck.

------------------
Solomusikeren

#55355 - 05/06/03 03:02 AM Re: Transitions via chord sequences
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Hi Ted
Also, for formulas in other keys,get a chart of"circle of fifths". It takes a little study,but you can correctly come in and out of any key with it.

#55356 - 05/06/03 03:34 AM Re: Transitions via chord sequences
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Ted, go to this site, www.charterpa.net/~rdross/

On the right side about 1/3 of the way down, select CYCLE of FIFTHS.

On the cycle of fifths picture (down a bit on the left of the page)
1-Select the key you wish to play in.
2-Go clockwise as far as you wish.
3-Then play counter-clockwise to the key you have chosen to play in.
I would suggest that you use minor 7th chords like
Gm7---Cm7, and many 7th chords---G7, C7, F7, ect.

I hope this helps. John C.

#55357 - 05/06/03 12:39 PM Re: Transitions via chord sequences
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Ted, I used to have a book which suggested several modulation patterns from any key to any other key. I loaned it to someone many years ago and never saw it again. I seem to remember it was just called 'Modulations'.
I've had a surf around some web sites and found the following which may be of interest to you. http://www.keyboardedu.com/pamphlet.html this is a pamphlet which costs $7 and is called 'Musical modulations' - sounds about right
There is another likely web site : www.themodex.com/info.htm which I found on Google and has an entry 'THE MODEX - seventy-seven modulations for bridging music'. Unfortunately, the site seems to be down at present - maybe have a look later
Hope this helps.....

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#55358 - 05/06/03 08:58 PM Re: Transitions via chord sequences
Ted Rose Offline

Loc: United States
Thanks so much for all your very helpful comments and links! I had often heard about the "Circle of Fifths" but never really understood (until now--thanks to your fine comments!) what it was supposed to do. Now I will be practicing moving from one key to another using the Circle ideas and just incorporating my "creativity" as well. Thank you, thank you, thank you all! By the way, Bill Norrie, thanks for the link to Jim Rousey's site; I have ordered several of his pamphlets/books and I'm sure they will help tremendously. As usual, my questions expertly answered!

Ted

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online