SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#54020 - 11/10/02 12:35 AM It is legal to sample 8 notes of an artist's copywritten song? Or is it 8?
Sparky Offline

Loc: lewiston maine usa
Here is an interesting thought! About styles sharing and maybe getting slammed with a infringement suit for distributing styles that break the copywrite laws. So people are careful not to distribute styles for fear of prosecution and the result is "far less styles available to all of us". Is there a way to beat that? Does the kn5000 and up provide a legal means to do that! And not worry about getting in trouble? Let me convince you and explain how? And the styles will also work for the other knxxx series. Go from a 7000 to a lower model even!!!!
How is this posible?
Here is how.
It will surely intigue you!

Lets make a fake member of this forum to use as an example here. And use me as the other guy. And say for the sake of me telling it from 1st person perspective that I can play some really awesome keys. Which I can't but,,, Lets name this fake members name, ummmmm val. no one here with that name. so yes lets use Val.
here it goes.,,,,,

Lets say that val says to me, hey Tony, you play good man! Do you play any blues? And I say yeah, I play a lot of 4/4 blues riffs I know from various artists. And val says gee I'd sure like to learn some. Can you record some and send them to me so I can learn by ear using them. Or just to hear you play them tony, I bet you do them good! And I said sure val, I will show you my stuff.
Whatever the reason is, I end up sending a bunch of 4/4 blues riffs and rhythms to val. That I know how to play well. And I recorded the blues riffs and blues rhythms from various songs "all under 8 notes" in the sequencer.
And THEN val using the copy and paste feature begins to go nuts and copy and paste from from them into his own style.maybe he has clloected them from more members of the forum also even or not.
The eight note sample law makes that totally legal to send a crap load of any 8 note and under riffs, licks and blues rhythms to anyone in the world!
It would not be my fault if someone used them to make his own styles with. I sent no style at all. The fact that the kn**** sequencer makes that so easy to do with the copy and paste feature along with the composer is what makes this easy and posible.
The styles were not made and sent by me! LOL
right?
So if i was to purposely record all the needed parts in a sequencer recording or any number of sequences just as bits any pieces, and share them with all of them being under 8 notes and val links them all together in the composer, All is legal. Now val, who can play for beans can make his own styles and use them to jam with.
That is what I consider val getting himself some free styles legally. But his own fingers were not talented enough even to play any of those parts or riffs etc...
So there you have it guys! What do you think of that? Be it blues or any style. And to top it off, I could actually be doing a style and then copy and paste all the parts of the style from the style which is perfected and finished into the sequencer in parts just pasted in anywhere on whatever track. And then send that to someone else like val, and let val put it back together again. Or shall I say let val do whatever he pleases with them. He can do what he wants with them. He can create anything he wants on his kn**** that he feels like. Did I really send the riffs etc... for val to make a style with? Was that my intent? Noooooo of course not!!!! LOLOL right! hehe smirk.
You get the full picture now I recon. And clearly. Not to advertise it would be a good thing tho. LOL
I happen to think of all this for two reasons. One is that the fun idea thread was replied by in another thread by bebop, and he took it as a song being sequenced as a finish product. But what I actually meant was to let everyone record rhythms and riffs in various instruments as a blues jam and taking a handful of peoples sequenced jam sessions and copy and paste pieces of preference and favorites into one song. But then I thought about making styles with it.
And Also I thought of it from the sequencer thread and found something real good about the sequencer anstead of complaining about it, when there was not problem that can't be fixed and can't be avoided as John pointed out to me. So I looked for the good in the sequencer and came up with this idea. What do you think ladies and gents, of the forum?

Sparky

[This message has been edited by Sparky (edited 11-10-2002).]

#54021 - 11/10/02 10:14 AM Re: It is legal to sample 8 notes of an artist's copywritten song? Or is it 8?
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
A person by the nick of Lindafus posted this in the arranger forum last January,and after looking at this site, I find some good information there that we all should be aware of. I heartily reccomend that you go there and read and save for future problems. It isn't a matter of if we will need it, it is a matter of when we will need it. The site is and I quote Lindafus, "FOR ALL THOSE THAT HAVE ASKED ABOUT COPYRIGHTS HERE IS A GOOD SITE WITH GOOD INFO". http://www.powers-court.com/copyrights.html
You never know when you might need to know this information and it looks accurate to me and has other links.
PS: Everyone needs to know that NIGEL will NOT allow any semblence of copyright violations on his synthzone forums so be very cautious. Anything done by email is not a concern by NIGEL

------------------
BEBOP
Moderator SynthZone TECHNICS FORUM
http://www.synthzone.com/cgi-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&number=25
Bill Forrest in SAN JOSE, CALIF. USA
bforrest@ix.netcom.com ICQ # 562519
Homepage http://www.anycities.com/bebop/

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online