SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#53977 - 10/20/03 08:30 AM recording audio from other keyboards to SD card
santa 1 Offline

Loc: stuart, fl - usa
I desperately need help from you expecrts. Let me explain my dilema. I have bvoth KN1000 and 2000 and have created a huge amount of entire songs(complete arrangements) in ALL SAVE to 3.5 disks so that I can play other instruments or live from one of the other keyboards. Now please don't tell me theses disks can load to the KN7000. Some may load, but there isn't enough time left in my life to attept to tweak these for use, expecially since I use the composer section to create my own intro, ending, fills and entire backgroung patterns, panel memories, sequencer, control, sound creation, etc.etc. What I want to to, if possible, is convert the audio signal out of either the keyboard or my amp/mixer to probably MP3 so that I can then load the MP3 onto the SD card. I am not sure how many songs I can save this way, but I want to keep and use all the work I have put into these floppy disks and don't know any other way to accomplish this using the SD card. Being a novice computer user, I am really in need of help. Of course as I learn new songs, they will be done on the KN7000. I just want to save somehow, the work I have spend years sequencing on the 1000 and 2000.

#53978 - 10/20/03 04:53 PM Re: recording audio from other keyboards to SD card
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Hi Santa 1

I was in your position when I changed from my 6500 to the 7000. The 6500 had a hard drive with loads of floppy settings on it and fortunately, I had kept them all so when I took delivery of the 7000 and it's wonderful little SD Card, I invested in a 128mb card and copied all of the floppies on to it (about 150 - some full, some not).
Whilst at it, I took advantage of the longer naming facility and re-named each one. I then made a note of the numbered and/or alphbetic position shown on the SD card which I wrote on to the relevant floppy and any music involved. As a result I can now call up any one of my settings within seconds either by number or folder. It is so quick that if you key in your choice first, by the time you have turned the page(s) of music, it is loaded. I cannot stress how helpful this is when 'giggin'.

Another nice thing about the SD Card is the convenience. At our keyboard club there are three other members who have the 7000 and we take it in turn each month to demonstrate and play various aspects of the keyboard. Last month it was my turn and all I did was take my little SD Card in my purse, and installed it into my friend's 7000 and played for awhile. Other non Technics owners were amazed and as I said to them "eat your heart out - it's that simple" ha! ha!

Hope this helps.

Aud

#53979 - 10/21/03 01:52 AM Re: recording audio from other keyboards to SD card
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Hello Both
Trouble is that style files with or without sequencing don't copy straight from the kn1000 and 2000 to the KN7000 as Santa has found...
Certainly one possibility is to convert all that hard work to MP3's so that they can be loaded into the KN7000 and stored there - trouble with that is you might as well take a CD player along to whereever you are playing and sit there with your arms folded.
Another way is to allow me to convert those KN1000 and 2000 style/sequencer files for you into KN5000 files which will then load and play on your KN7000....
Roger M

#53980 - 10/21/03 02:19 PM Re: recording audio from other keyboards to SD card
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Santa,
it's been a while since I recorded some of my 9000 pro sequences( as I've sold it) as audio files, so I hope I remember how I did it.

Requirements
Audio Recorder Software ( supplied with your KN7000) installed in your computer.
USB cable connected from Computer to KN7.
( I'm no computer expert, all I did was follow the directions supplied on installing the software and the USB driver, and thankfully it worked okay)
Audio leads connected from kn1,2, audio OUT to KN7 audio IN.

You also need the Panasonic PC SD Audio Writing Kit( consisting of card reader/writer & software) . This is an optional extra ( in most countries except for UK, I beleive). It's used for writing the audio files ( mp3's to SD card.) and a must have if you want to play audio files via sd card in your kn7.

I did the following when I recorded my psr files. I only wanted the backing instruments , as I wanted to be able to play along live . ie play the melody using the kn7 sounds and the psr playing the backing using the psr sounds. In short I was creating a backing track that one could sing or play along to( music minus one, is a term that's sometimes used)

I'll use the example of kn1/2 ( even though in my case it was a psr)
All I did was connect the audio cables kn1/2 audio out to kn7 audio in. Load my song into the kn1/2 sequencer.
I connected the computer to my kn7 using the usb cable.
I opened the audio recorder software.

I adjusted volumes etc to make sure that the kn1 's audio level wasn't too loud for the kn7. What you should actually be hearing, is the kn1/2 sequence playing through your kn7 speakers ie it's using the kn7 speakers in the same way as if you had it connected to an external amplifer & set of speakers. (The kn7 itself doessn't really come into it, you're just using it as a sound card for recording your kn1/2 sequence as a wav file.)
I then just played a bit of the sequence to make sure it all sounded okay.
I made any adjustments to the kn1/2 sequence( I muted the melody track, because I wanted backing only)

I clicked the New icon ( sheet of blank paper far lefthand side)

Then I clicked the red dot ( recording button) press start on your kn1/2. When your sequence has finished , press the stop icon and save it as a wav file.

At this stage you could could create a cd or save it in your computer for the time being , but if you want to save it as an mp3 to your sd card, you need the Panasonic sd Audio Writing Kit.

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online