SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#53894 - 02/13/03 11:47 AM Expession Pedal problems
manorcourt1991 Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Hi All,

Questions and comments on expression pedal problems seem to come up fairly regularly on this forum.
Like a number of you I have sometimes experienced problems with sudden changes of volume with the expression attached. The pedal is in good condition and I do follow all the steps (modulation wheel setting etc) to minimise the likelihood of unwanted volume changes.
Ultimately it would seem that these problems are related to this pedal being included in the software loop. In older keyboards the expression pedal was used as a mechanical control at the amplifier input (same pedal - just a different method of application) and these problems did not occur. The advantage of software control is that the expression pedal can be easily assigned to one or more individual parts.
My question is does anybody make use of the part expression pedal capability and if not would life better for us diehard expression pedal devotees if Technics went back to the old system?

Cheers
Len C.

#53895 - 02/13/03 03:44 PM Re: Expession Pedal problems
Walt Meyer Offline

Loc: Silver City, NM USA
Len -- The KN2000 used software to sample the pedal position and I never had problems with the KN2000. However, it did not have the capability ro assign the pedal to different parts, so maybe that is the difference.
Walt

#53896 - 02/13/03 03:53 PM Re: Expession Pedal problems
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Hi Len

I am one who has had a volume problem, but hope it was related only to a midi sequence I was using,however,I may not be so lucky.

I haven't utilized the parts expression as I am still learning the basics,but,if you are referring to the analog pedal that goes into the pedal and out to an external amp, it might work assuming external speakers are used instead of the internal speakers.
I,however,try to use just the board unless the venue is too large.

Bernie

#53897 - 02/13/03 05:55 PM Re: Expession Pedal problems
Ad Rouw Offline

Loc: Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Okay, I'm one of the lucky few I guess using a expression pedal and never experienced any sudden volume changes. I use the pedal most commonly on part expression, but once in a while on total expression. To get a clue on what might be the cause of the sudden volume drops, please give any information that might contribute to a possible solution. Sure I understand what you mean with "sudden volume changes" though english is not my native language, but isn't there any kind of pattern in the circumstances the volume drops occur???
I updated my KN5000's ROM 10 times, so you might say the keyboard's operating software wasn't perfect from the start, but I also read about many faults that turned out to be caused by incorrect human operation. Understanable errors I must say, because of the complexity of these musical computers, in spite of the much praised user-friendlyness of the KN-series.
How about it, any detectives around?
Ad

[This message has been edited by Ad Rouw (edited 02-13-2003).]

#53898 - 02/14/03 05:54 AM Re: Expession Pedal problems
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
Ad, I think you have already detected most of the problem.

Grandpa Doug

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online