SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#5376 - 04/29/02 10:31 AM Beginner seeks sound module for live application
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've searched the forums for advice on this topic but found nothing, so let me apologize in advance for asking a question that's likely been asked before...

My band is thinking of adding some keyboards to its sound and we currently only have access to a controller (a StudioLogic SL-something-or-other). Currently, it's jacked into my PC, running Cakewalk, and then routed to the PA for jamming at home. As I do not want to carry my PC with me to gigs, we would obviously need a sound module to make noise for live performances.

We would not need to sequence or program or edit. We're just looking for a sound module capable of making all the GM sounds, as well as some better acoustic instrument sounds and other pre-programmed synth sounds.

Our price point is in the sub-500 dollar range, if possible.

My research has turned up the Roland JV-1010 as a possibility. But, remember, I'm a lowly stringed-instrument player with minimal exposure to the world of keyboards/synths/MIDI.

Am I on the right track? Is there a product better suited to our application?

Thanks in advance for any help...

--Mike

#5377 - 04/29/02 10:36 AM Re: Beginner seeks sound module for live application
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
That jv1010 is a great choice. It sells for $400 most places and sounds terrific. It can also be expanded with one Roland card as well. Another option is the Roland SC33 or Boss DS330 - they are GM only but sound pretty good and cost half as much. They're discontinued, so look on eBay or used shops.
My advice - go with the 1010.

#5378 - 04/29/02 06:51 PM Re: Beginner seeks sound module for live application
OldSchool Offline

Loc: Lexington, KY USA
I give a hearty "Hear, hear!" to the jv1010. I have one with the orchestral card added, and, it's really pretty amazing. It's sounds are fairly traditional, but really well done for the bucks.

#5379 - 05/05/02 09:29 AM Re: Beginner seeks sound module for live application
Dr.Oscillator Offline

Loc: Norwich, Uk
I have an studio Logic controller Keyboard and also a XP60 expanded. For gigging, give the 1010 a miss and go for one of the EMU sound modules, I love my Roland, but I think you would be happier with an EMU module if you want good keyboardy sounds

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online