SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#53706 - 10/30/04 10:21 AM KN SD EXPLORER
Anonymous
Unregistered

When I first used this program I had many error messages, problems loading the SD data to SD Explorer and very long restore times.

My computer has a USB 2 Hub. I thought the San Disk reader was USB 2. I replaced it with a PNY USB 2 reader and all problems went away and instead of 2 1/2 hr restore time it is now 35 minutes for a 128 card.

If any one is having problems why not discuss them on the forum where others can assist.

I for one, would not be without this great 2600/7000 tool.

Fran in Florida

#53707 - 10/30/04 04:11 PM Re: KN SD EXPLORER
Marilyn Boissoneault Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Florida, USA
I had the a San Disk reader that I bought shortly after I got my KN7000. It worked fine on my Win 98 machine. However, it started acting weird a while ago. I'm not sure if it had to do with WinXp or if it just went bad. It started taking forever for backup and retores. One of my 64SD cards always locked up my machine. I thought the card was bad, but then I found out it worked fine in my KN7000. I bought a new car reader a little while back and suddenly all the slow tranfers went away and my 64meg Sd card worked again.

Marilyn

#53708 - 10/31/04 04:51 AM Re: KN SD EXPLORER
Joan Offline

Loc: Hampshire U.K.
Hi Fran - when you quote 35minutes for a 128 card, what percentage of the 128 was used?

Was it a nearly/full card? Just for comparison I wonder how long the same file would take to restore in Song Manager?

I restored to 256 card this morning which on completion was reading 150.880KB (39% used). and it gave me at start-up of procedure a projected time of 121 minutes and actually took 116 minutes.

This was direct into my multi-card reader which is installed on my PC which is only 2 months old and is reading that it is USB 2.0 Device.

Joan

#53709 - 10/31/04 05:34 AM Re: KN SD EXPLORER
Anonymous
Unregistered

Joan,

The 128 was 70% used and took 35 minutes. My Panasonic reader (like the ones supplied with the 7000 in UK) was slow like the San Disk and had many error messages. Could not find the specs but I think you will find it is USB 1.

Anyone buying a new reader, make sure it is USB 2.

I have two computers, 98 and XP. KN Explorer will not load in the 98 OS. Appears Explorer is only XP compatable.

Fran in Florida

#53710 - 10/31/04 06:02 AM Re: KN SD EXPLORER
Joan Offline

Thanks Fran for your prompt answer. At least it has clarified it that SDExplorer does not seem to work in Windows 98 and I would think very probably ME which I believe is another version of 98. Joan

#53711 - 10/31/04 07:13 AM Re: KN SD EXPLORER
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
ME is like windows 2000[not 98].

I don't know if the KN7000 acts the same, but when I use my portable hard drive with my computers, even though they are USB 2.0, the portable hard drive is high speed and needs the high speed USB connection port...The transfer speed is super fast compared to the port that is not high speed..
For example on the slower port an 8 or 9 minute transfer only takes about 30-40 seconds on high speed port..

My laptop will give an notice if it is not connected to the high speed port..

#53712 - 10/31/04 09:05 AM Re: KN SD EXPLORER
Joan Offline

Thanks Fran for pointing out about ME - I wondered if I had it correct when I wrote it. I have a enough problems playing the KN7 - I don't think I will live long enough to master the in and outs of the PC!!! You just get used to one operating system and then they bring out another. Joan

[This message has been edited by Joan (edited 10-31-2004).]

#53713 - 10/31/04 09:40 AM Re: KN SD EXPLORER
Anonymous
Unregistered

Fran C,

XP also notifies when using USB 1 with a USB 2 hub, about the reduction in speed. My XP does not do this on every connection.

How's things in Philly?

Fran in Florida

#53714 - 10/31/04 01:43 PM Re: KN SD EXPLORER
Johnnie.c Offline

Loc: England
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
[B]ME is like windows 2000[not 98].
B]

Sorry Fran you are wrong it is Joan that has it right.
ME was the last OS system based on win95 code and obviously was an upgrade to 98 and 98SE, where as win2000 was based on NT4 code, not the same thing at all.

#53715 - 10/31/04 03:14 PM Re: KN SD EXPLORER
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I stand corrected..

#53716 - 11/04/04 02:08 PM Re: KN SD EXPLORER
Joan Offline

Hi there
I have been working on my SD cards in SDExplorer and Microsoft Explorer, this last few days and have been very pleased with the simplicity of using the various functions.

I knew I had a particular Style on a backup SD file and I wanted to copy the style to another SD card in my USB Reader/Writer and work with it. I did not want to restore the whole BACKUP file to an actual SD card.

So

I RESTORED my complete BACKUP file to a folder on the PC, (this is very quick even for a large card). I then copied the required file(s) I wanted across to my current SD card in my F drive.

This whole exercise took me literally minutes.

What a good idea I thought and then I also thought I could leave the Folder that I had RESTOREd on my desktop and copy the file back when I alter it and copy from it again.

Wait a minute - I could RESTORE all my SD cards to folders on my PC and I can then move backward and forwards across to a working SD as and when I want.

I also tried the Merge feature today - With an SD card already live at the screen you can select MERGE, choose your BACKUP and merge it to the one on the screen. Taking that one step further you can then merge another backup into this larger file (Always assuming that you have enough room on the SD card).

Much more simpler than in Song Manager.

The flexibility of the SDExplorer tool is great! The days of working on one SD card at a time are gone! We can actually also see what is happening whilst it is happening.

Joan

[This message has been edited by Joan (edited 11-04-2004).]

#53717 - 11/04/04 04:03 PM Re: KN SD EXPLORER
Anonymous
Unregistered

Forum Friends,

We must remember that this software is in Beta form. I am sure that Fred will introduce enhancements as we show support for his efforts.

We should also remember that support for the 2600/7000 is dwindling with the demise of Technics Keyboards (and Organs).

Registered users at $50 is a small price to pay for continued developement of such a great 2600/7000 tool.

We (and Fred) need the support of everyone that owns a 2600/7000 to make this software a do everything by registering. Who among us would spend hours developing a software product without being rewarded in some small way.

Fran in Florida

Fran in Florida

#53718 - 11/08/04 03:10 PM Re: KN SD EXPLORER
Joan Offline

Hi there – As a result of posting some of my songs to the KESO site and Cees not being able to read them, it came to light that this was because I had sent him files that had been renamed using SDExplorer.

When you see files on a floppy disk the first two characters are numbered 01-20 depending on which file they are on the disk. If you copy these files into SDExplorer you can then use the free format names of up to 16 characters.

e.g. 01BALLAD could be renamed to Unforgettable (or similar)

Whilst this file remains on the SD Card then it can be moved from card to card etc., BUT if you copy it to a floppy disk and take the floppy disk to the KN7 you will not be able to see the title OR to load it, unless you have renamed it with something like the excellent Technics Copy Tool.

It also follows also that although Microsoft Explorer allows varying numbers of "lines/items/documents in a folder and numerous folders on your PC you still need to follow the rules of the SD format in that 20 styles etc. to a folder and 99 folders to an SD card.

If anyone knows of any other tips that have come to light, please share them with us and so we can use this software for the benefit of us all.

Fred and Gert-Jan will be pleased for you to do so.

Joan

[This message has been edited by Joan (edited 11-08-2004).]

#53719 - 11/12/04 12:15 PM Re: KN SD EXPLORER
fmlk4u Offline

Loc: Eindhoven, The Netherlands
The problems described here shows again that the statement in one of the testimonials is correct: KN-SDExplorer is a must-have tool for all KN7000 and KN2600 users (unfortunately Win98/ME not yet supported)
Downloading songs from the KESO site and putting them on an SD is super fast and easy:
1. make a folder on your hard disk and name it to e.g. name of the player.
2. on KESO site: double-click on a song and select open. Then extract all files to the created folder. Do the same with all songs of this player, to a maximum of 20 songs.
3. Open KN-SDExplorer for an SD-Card that still has room for the folder(s).
4. With your mouse drag the folder from your hard disk to the folder pane in KN-SDExplorer.
Voila... all 20 songs at once on your SD Card.

Old way was : extract the songs to floppy disk, load them into the keyboard, one by one (slow) and saved them to SD Card,( even slower), with optionally renaming.

But now backwards: if you as KN7000player have created a song "My Favorite Song" and saved it on SD, then these songs can easily be exported to harddisk via KN-SDExplorer and zipped to send to Cees for upload...

THIS WOULD ONLY WORK VERY NICELY IF ALL KN-PLAYERS AND OTHERS WHO PARTICIPATE IN THIS MUSIC EXCHANGE WOULD HAVE KN-SDEXPLORER!. Then everybody could use 16-characters song titles instead of the old DOS-type song title consisting of 2-digit number and 6 characters (in our example: "01MY_FAV" or something. No naming conversion necessary.
Wouldn't that be an ideal world

------------------
Kind Regards, Fred

#53720 - 11/12/04 12:53 PM Re: KN SD EXPLORER
cees Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by fmlk4u:
But now backwards: if you as KN7000player have created a song "My Favorite Song" and saved it on SD, then these songs can easily be exported to harddisk via KN-SDExplorer and zipped to send to Cees for upload...

THIS WOULD ONLY WORK VERY NICELY IF ALL KN-PLAYERS AND OTHERS WHO PARTICIPATE IN THIS MUSIC EXCHANGE WOULD HAVE KN-SDEXPLORER!. Then everybody could use 16-characters song titles instead of the old DOS-type song title consisting of 2-digit number and 6 characters (in our example: "01MY_FAV" or something. No naming conversion necessary.
Wouldn't that be an ideal world

Hi Fred,
I sincerely respect the efforts you has made to offer the KN7-owners your great SDExplorer. Great job!! As you called my name I give a short reaction.
The basicview of the songexchange on KESO is to keep the technique as close to the keyboard itself to ensure the largest comptability to share the songs worldwide. And that needs to use the technics-format, include the 2 startdigits. Besides, in another post you pointed that some OS, like Windows97, Me or maybe Windows95, doesnot work (momentarely) with your programm. I don't want to withdraw those people the beautiful songs on KESO.
So I love your enthusiasme, but (yet) a bridge too far, I guess
Of course, for individual players, your program is a blessing to the laborious managing of the files on everyones SDcards. Maybe those SD-cards are so full, thanks to the about 600!! KESOSongs
Best greetings,
Cees

#53721 - 11/19/04 02:18 PM Re: KN SD EXPLORER
fmlk4u Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
I stand corrected..

Hi from Fred

some sad news:
1. My partner, Gert Jan, is ill; he has the flue. Moreover MS doesn't support its old Win98 and ME operating systems in any ways. The documentation is bad, missing or inconsistent. We seek ideas for solution of Win98 compatibility problems on developer forums, but nobody answers. Unfortunately also nobody replies on the Newsletter with SD-Explorer advertising that my friend Kenneth has sent out.
Compared with the results of market research our 'installed base of customers' is disappointingly low. Last week I sent out the upgrade, version 1.10 to our customers. Below are the release notes, which answers to your remarks and problems you reported. I hope for everybody that this version won't have to be the final version. However even if it isn't, I expected that development progress will be reduced. Since the release I have been working for the tool: testing, handling emails, creating FAQ and tutorial pages, etc. almost every evening until after midnight. (Joan knows)
This all resulted into too much stress. So I will take it easier now.
And to be honest I am seriously thinking about raising the price of the tool in 2005 to some extent. So people have time to purchase the tool for the modest fee until after Christmas.

------------------
Kind Regards, Fred

PS.
Release notes
=============

SDExplorer 1.0.1, build 51: (Oct 25 2004)

- Fixes for empty song and folder names
- Added support for read only SD Cards

SDExplorer 1.0.2, build 52: (Oct 27 2004)

- No longer opens empty window for non-existing path
- More accurate remaining time calculation in Backup progress
- Removed TryAgain/Continue Dialog when opening Read Only SD Card

SDExplorer 1.1.0, build 54: (Nov 9 2004)

- Alphabetical index of songs on the keyboard now works correctly
- Progress window shown while verifying files
- More informative error for verify failure.
- Win98 finally supported
- Fixed problem with restoring window from minimised state

FAQ: http://members.chello.nl/~f.mellink/FAQ.html
Tutorial: http://members.chello.nl/~f.mellink/SDExp_tut.htm

[This message has been edited by fmlk4u (edited 11-19-2004).]

#53722 - 11/20/04 03:56 PM Re: KN SD EXPLORER
Anonymous
Unregistered

Forum Friends,

From my previous post regarding the 7000 Explorer, you can see I had several problems. I have continued to use the tool and I think I have solved all of my problems. It is not the 7 Explorer, it is my computer.

My computer would not accept the PNY 2.0 reader as not needing additional drivers. After many, many attempts it finaly found the drivers and it works like it should. Put an SD in the reader and up comes...."What do you want to do"........."KN 7000 Explorer is listed".....click on it and there is the SD displayed in 7 Explorer. My initial problem was my computer (Compaq XP).

If I leave the reader attached to my computer and boot, it will not find the files. If I dis-connect it and re-connect, it works proper. Why?

I worked on 45 floppies converted from other instruments today. I added them to SD. I had no trouble copy/paste until floppy 39. At that point I could copy from A drive, and paste on 7 Explore. Paste was non existent (grayed out). Trying to solve my problem, I started with the A drive(Floppy). Uninstalled and reinstalled the driver. The paste appeared in 7 Explore and I could continue.

I am far, far from a computer expert, but I think a great deal of the problems we are experiencing from using KN 7000 Explore come from our computers and other software/hardware we have installed.

Hint: When you open a new SD there are no folders shown, and you have to add folders. I format on the 2600/7000 and name folder 99. When you open you have 99 folders to fill and only have to name.

Hopefully posts on the forum will make it easier for non computer guru like me.

See some of you at the East Coast Jam where we can exchange views.

Fran in Florida

#53723 - 11/21/04 12:57 PM Re: KN SD EXPLORER
Joan Offline

Hi Fran - Read your interesting post above.

I see you say that you had a problem copying in one instance. Were you using the Edit/Copy/Paste feature? I have had this happen on odd occasions when I have used the File/Copy/Paste and as you say the PASTE feature is grayed out.

I have never been able to establish under what circumstances it happens as more often than not it works OK. For instance I did think that this happened only when working directly on the SD card in the USB drive and I think but cannot say conclusively that it does NOT happen whilst working with SDExplorer on a folder in Microsoft on your desktop.

I just use the CTRL C and CTRL V method OR dragging the Mouse method. This works OK.

If I am doing major revisions as you have obviously just done with your 45 floppies then I would work with SDExplorer in a folder in Microsoft as the moving etc., is very very much quicker than working directly on your SD. You did not say if this is the method that you have just used.

I would also select the Backup feature to backup from time to time whilst you are doing a major amalgamation. Can I hear you saying "I did that"

What I find is really good is that you can MERGE a previously backuped version to the folder you are working on which contains data already. This can be done in Microsoft OR to the SD card in the reader. This way you could not only quickly amalagamate previously backuped files but you can actually SEE it happening on the screen.

Like you I am full of enthusiasm for this software - it has made what I use to consider a nightmare of a job trying to sort out different SD cards into the order I wanted them into a much simpler task that makes the same sense as working on files in Microsoft.

As you say - anyone got any tips - then post them on the forum.

We have read quite a few negative posts about this software and I am sure that some would-be purchasers are reluctant to take a chance.

The minor "blips" that were in the first release have now been corrected and no longer present problems. If you can find your way around a PC and folders etc., then I have no hesitation in saying go ahead, give it a go

Joan

[This message has been edited by Joan (edited 11-21-2004).]

#53724 - 11/21/04 02:27 PM Re: KN SD EXPLORER
Anonymous
Unregistered

Joan and Fellow 7000 Explorer owners,

Those of you that had purchased Alec Pagida's great 6500 and 7000 extended instruction manuals can appreciate how it made the operation of these instruments much easier.

If we all share our experience with Fred's 7000 Explorer Tool in this thread we can print and compile the posts and try to duplicate what Alec accomplished.

Joan and I have used different routes to achieve, possibly the same results. I will follow her lead and I am sure I will learn something.

In a small way we may assist Fred in enhancing an allready great tool.

Fran in Florida

Ps.....With all of my posts about this tool it may sound like I am on Freds pay roll. Far from the truth. I love it because of the time it has saved me in managing my SD. Technics should have had this as part of their Song Manager.

#53725 - 11/22/04 04:36 AM Re: KN SD EXPLORER
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Fran,
I agree with you 100% on supporting Fred. From a selfish standpoint,it behooves us Technics owners to support Fred in getting to us a great tool. At this stage in the game, I don't see anyone else developing any new software for us.

From a personal standpoint,Fred has worked very hard and has spent a considerable sum of manhours and cash to get this far. He is at a point where he is cutting back as he is worried about return on his investment.

Everyone knows that software has bugs initially. Fred has shown me an attitude of trying very hard to rectify the Win98 and Paypal issues. I bought the tool and it works great. With more support and patience there is no telling what uprades are possible.

For those waiting for a "perfect" product,I say forget that as Fred will not be able to afford anything more,rather buy the tool,98 problem notwithstanding,and get behind him.

Bernie

#53726 - 11/26/04 03:06 PM Re: KN SD EXPLORER
fmlk4u Offline

Hi All,,,

I have a SAD ANNOUNCEMENT

Unfortunately I have a sad message to tell. Gert Jan's little son has small poks and both Gert Jan have side effects of it.

Moreover we are both tired, very, very busy at work... and a bit disppointed too: No feedback about 1.10 update, no customers coming in anymore, some emails with questions, mainly because of ignorance, not reading FAQ, or tutorial page via http://kn-sdexplorer.has.it

And last but not least some private problems, some financial some emotional are also in effect. For those more interested about details: on my personal website http://vision4life.shows.it you can read my "Vision for Life". Well, my dream is almost vanished: I am victim of a home internet business that I joined as Gold member with help from a friend who paid mainly for it. Now this company is twice reorganised to CEO's have enriched themselves probably and suddenly GOLD membership costs $1800 instead of originally $225. So I am "in debt" by fraude/white collar criminality. At the moment I asked a lawyer to help me via trade union. This and some other issues have depressed me personally. But also Gert Jan's energy is up for the moment. Hopefully new energy next year.

So the sad message is that further development of the tool, like supporting Cusotme Style files and MIDI, is delayed until at least beginning 2005.

I hope by that time we have also the solution for Windows 98 compatibility which is also a pian in the ass. And I hope we have become some more customers by then.

------------------
Kind Regards, Fred

#53727 - 11/26/04 04:12 PM Re: KN SD EXPLORER
Anonymous
Unregistered

Fred,

Sorry to hear about Gert Jan and your problems. My prayers are with you.

Your software has more than paid for itself for me. If Bill Gates, through the years, cannot produce an operating system without glitches how can we expect perfection with your software without updates.

You and Gert Jan slow down, get your personal problems taken care of. The 7000 will not go away for many years and neither will the SD Explorer.

Fran in Florida

#53728 - 11/26/04 08:08 PM Re: KN SD EXPLORER
KeithB Offline

Loc: Melbourne AUSTRALIA
Fred
I'm a very satisfied customer, apologies for not providing feedback but do so now. Installed your update, works very well and I really don't know how I could organise, and re-organise my SD cards without this very effective tool.
Thanks
Keith

#53729 - 12/19/04 10:00 AM Re: KN SD EXPLORER
fmlk4u Offline

Hello all,

Today I received Panasonic's PC Audio PC Writing Kit (SZ-CB7), which contains an SD-reader model BN-SDCEAE. I tried is with our KN-SDExplorer tool and I can confirm, that Verifying and/or song handling with our tool is MUCH SLOWER than with my cheap Apacer Mega Steno Reader (approx. $10). The expensive Panasonic Reader is USB 1.1 while my cheap commodity reader is USB 2.0. That makes a REALLY GREAT DIFFERENCE IN PERFORMING. So it is highly recommended to get yourself a cheap reader in the PC store.

Another news: in 2005 we will likely go on with developing an upgrade of our tool which might handle MIDI files and playlists, and more.

Regards, Fred
http://www.kn7000.net/Fred_Mellink
http://kn-sdexplorer.has.it

#53730 - 12/19/04 01:14 PM Re: KN SD EXPLORER
Anonymous
Unregistered

Fred,

I think Joan found out the Panasonic Reader is 1.0 as I did the Sandisk that I had. Anyone purchasing a reader should make sure it is 2.0.

Happy Holidays,

Fran in Florida

#53731 - 12/19/04 03:51 PM Re: KN SD EXPLORER
KeithB Offline

Loc: Melbourne AUSTRALIA
I'm curious, my Panasonic USB Card Reader is model SDCBAE. I presume Fred's is a later update (SDCEAE), unless we have a regionalisation in these things, as I am in Australia.
Keith

#53732 - 12/20/04 05:15 AM Re: KN SD EXPLORER
Anonymous
Unregistered

Keith,

Mine is SDCEAE so it has to be different models. Not sure when USB 2.0 started but it was probably after the design of the Panasonic Reader.

Fran in Florida

#53733 - 12/20/04 07:29 AM Re: KN SD EXPLORER
Anonymous
Unregistered

Keith,

Mine is SDCEAE so it has to be different models. Not sure when USB 2.0 started but it was probably after the design of the Panasonic Reader.

Fran in Florida

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online