SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#53692 - 11/14/02 03:52 AM Re: Finally Auditioned the KN7000 ! IMPRESSIVE
technicsplayer Offline

one user kit per sound memory, therefore you would save composer, sound and 3 bank panel which would load in less than 2 seconds. quote " Each drum can have 2 samples and has its own edit suite." This means that each drum sound can have 2 samples and has its own own edit suite, very like sound edit. You can also assign a programmable DSP to the drums if you wish.

#53693 - 11/14/02 09:10 AM Re: Finally Auditioned the KN7000 ! IMPRESSIVE
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by technicsplayer:
" Each drum can have 2 samples and has its own edit suite." This means that each drum sound can have 2 samples and has its own own edit suite, very like sound edit. You can also assign a programmable DSP to the drums if you wish.

Does this mean you can combine 2 different drum samples (ei: kick & crash) to create a drum sound which then produces both a kick drum & crash cymbal sounding together when playing just ONE note on the keyboard?

Exactly what 'sound editing parameters' are supported by the drum sound 'editing suite'? Do these include: velocity level, tuning (pitch), pan, and effects?

Thanks, - Scott

#53694 - 11/15/02 02:48 AM Re: Finally Auditioned the KN7000 ! IMPRESSIVE
technicsplayer Offline

yes

#53695 - 11/15/02 09:48 AM Re: Finally Auditioned the KN7000 ! IMPRESSIVE
Scottyee Offline

Thanks Alec for your 'succinct' answer.
- Scott

#53696 - 11/16/02 12:48 AM Re: Finally Auditioned the KN7000 ! IMPRESSIVE
Mike Daniell Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Just to add a bit to Alec's reply which, of course, is perfectly correct!

If you select a drum kit and then select Program Menus / Sound Edit you get the Drum Sound Edit window. In that window you can select any note from C-2 to G8 and you have two sound parts you can assign to each note. For each sound part you can select Tone Name, Amplitude (Level, Touch and Curve), Pitch (Key and Detune), and Pan. You can also select a Reverb setting that that covers both parts.

If that's not enough, you can press Detail Edit and set or adjust Tone Dynamics, Amplitude Envelope, Filter / Eq, LFO, Effect DSP, and Controller (Mod Wheel) Assignment.

Hope this helps. I've certainly learned a lot about drum kit editing over the last few days! The mind boggles at what you can do with this instrument.

Mike

#53697 - 11/16/02 01:19 AM Re: Finally Auditioned the KN7000 ! IMPRESSIVE
cees Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Supplemenary to all the good advises/solutions above I bring to yours attention to experiment with the equaliser. You will be surprise about the difference in output. Especially when you change the gain, fc and q settings in the display (see: programmenus: reverb and effect). Pherhaps it obviate the sometime weak sounds of some druminstruments.
Best regards
Cees

#53698 - 11/16/02 03:59 AM Re: Finally Auditioned the KN7000 ! IMPRESSIVE
technicsplayer Offline

absolutely, another way to 'tune' the snare drum exactly.

#53699 - 11/16/02 11:25 AM Re: Finally Auditioned the KN7000 ! IMPRESSIVE
Scottyee Offline

This is all terrificly valuable information shared. Many thanks to all.

#53700 - 11/16/02 12:13 PM Re: Finally Auditioned the KN7000 ! IMPRESSIVE
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Scott,
Thanks for your review.
I was just curious . You wrote "I rank it as one of my top 2 (or 3) keyboard contender favorites"
What are your other 2 or 3 favorites? We all would love to hear your Top 1 , 2 and 3.
I would guess one of them is the PSR9000
Thanks , Larry Hawk

[This message has been edited by lahawk (edited 11-16-2002).]

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#53701 - 11/16/02 11:37 PM Re: Finally Auditioned the KN7000 ! IMPRESSIVE
Scottyee Offline

Ok Larry, you put me on the spot (btw: surprise surprise, the PSR9000 is not included on my list).

My current Favorite (61 note) Arranger Keyboards:

1. Technics KN7000 (tied 1st choice)
1. Yamaha Tyros (tied 1st choice)
2. Yamaha PSR2000 (best bang for the buck)

Choosing between the KN7000 & Tyros depends MORE on your specific needs .

If onboard built in speakers and full keyboard mode 'pianist' mode pro jazz chord recognition is really important, I recommend the Technics KN7000.Unfortunately the KN7000 doesn't support pro jazz chord recognition in split mode, and its vocalizer is pretty much useless.

If you don't need or care about built in speakers, want a lighter weight KB, want the best split mode left hand chord voicing recognition, and a terrific built in vocal harmonizer is desired, then the Tyros may be the better choice. On the other hand, the Tyros's full keyboard 'pianist' mode type chord recognition pales compared to Technics.

Other things to consider: Both keyboard offer excellent navigation, though Technics may have a very slight edge. If exclusive onboard kb sequencing is important, I recommend the KN7000 over the Yamaha Tyros. Swing and jazz styles are better on the KN7000 while the more pop & contempoarary styles are better on the Tyros. My favorite acoustic piano is on the KN7000, afterall I'm biased toward the Steinway sound, I own one. I prefer the auto fill variation change approach to Yamaha, but Technics offers 2 fills per variation compared to only one on the Yamaha. The Tyros includes some outstanding new Mega Voice sounds: guitars and bass voices.

Though the PSR2000 (which I currently own) doesn't offer all the features the KN7000 & Tyros sport, it definitely is worth mentioning because it offers SO MUCH for the money, and really is a terrific sounding board in all respects, and even includes a terrific sounding full featured vocal harmonizer. The only major drawback re the PSR2000 is it supports no mass storage device and that the keyboard action feels more toy like than professional.

In conclusion, I only wish I could afford to own all three of these keyboards because they're ALL so outstanding, just for different reasons.

Scott

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online